Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Dogs CAN get salmonella and can be carriers of salmonella. Different strains affect humans than dogs, though. But there are always new strains morphing.

Here's one reference:
Vaccine 2002 Feb 22;20(11-12):1618-23 Immunogenicity of chi4127 phoP- Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium in dogs. McVey DS, Chengappa MM, Mosier DE, Stone GG, Oberst RD, Sylte MJ, Gabbert NM, Kelly-Aehle SM, Curtiss R. "Salmonellae are commonly isolated from dogs. The number of dogs infected with Salmonella spp. is surprisingly high and greater than the incidence of clinical disease would suggest. Salmonellosis is common in greyhound kennels. Morbidity can approach 100% in puppies and the mortality ranges to nearly 40%."

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, would a dog that ate a raw egg or raw meat, be in danger of getting it, or is it only humans affected by that strain. I just wonder why more dogs don't get sick from eating raw eggs or meat.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm not sure I'd use the word "danger". Well, I'd put it this way...a dog eating raw eggs is more likely to get salmonella than a dog that eats cooked eggs. Why? Because more bacteria is likely present and not killed by cooking. Whether it's the type of bacteria that will make the dog sick depends on how healthy the dog is and the strain of bacteria they ingest. Think about it like human food poisoning...you can get a mild case (tummy ache) or a severe case requiring hospitalization/IV antibiotics. How sick you get depends on 1)the strain of bacteria; and 2) the heartiness of your system.

Dogs do get sick from eating both cooked food and raw food that has been compromised by harmful bacteria. How many times does the average dog have a mild fever or general malaise or a bout of diarrhea where it seems to pass in a day or so?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Bottom line...if the raw eggs and raw meat are fresh and bacteria free, they're great nutritionally. I have seen eggs from some company (whose name escapes me at the moment) who sells eggs that are "certified salmonella-free".

·
Banned
675 Posts
What I have read from raw feeders is that altho dogs *can* get salmonella, they are less likely to get it than humans are because of their shorter, carnivorous digestive tract, which moves things along at a brisk pace and doesn't give salmonellas as much chance as a slower, omnivorous human digestive tract. They also said that when a dog does get sick from salmonella it means the dog is not at peak health. This is what I have read, not my opinion, just passing it along.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the explanations. I don't think I'll ever feed raw meat. I have fed slightly cooked before, but not totally raw, but I have given raw eggs in the past and wondered if I should ever do it again.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I have given raw eggs occasionally. I first started doing it with Mic, and now with Monte. I haven't seen any negative effects, but that could just be luck. I haven't noticed any positive effects either, like shinier coat, but then there is nothing wrong with Monte's coat to begin with.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well this is all getting back to the 6 to one half a dozen to the other. Have there been studies on Raw diets & other Raw Foods with dogs? One of the vets where we go says we should not even consider Raw Diets because of bacteria & whatever. Another vet says if our dogs like our Wolf King dog food, why switch?

Then there are all the people who swear by Raw feeding. Things like dogs in the wild don't eat cooked meat. It also seems alot of the big dog food companies are behind the anti-Raw feeding campaigns.

I also know people who have their dogs on a vegitarian diet, but then have read things like dogs don't need carbs & don't get much nutrition from veggies.

I am starting to think people's personal beliefs are heavily involved in all of these theories instead of actual science.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just received this email from PetEdge

Dear Valued Customer:
One of our suppliers, Eight In One, Inc. has issued a voluntary
recall of all Dingo CHICK'N JERKY treats due to company concerns
that the jerky treats have the potential to be contaminated with
Salmonella. Salmonella can cause serious infections in dogs and cats,
and, if there is cross contamination, in people, especially children,
the aged, and people with compromised immune systems. The Food and
Drug Administration is aware of this recall.

The products subject to the recall are Dingo CHICK'N JERKY 3.5 oz.
(ZX34125) and 8 oz. for dogs (ZX34108.) We have removed these products
from our warehouses. We recommend that you pull these items from
stock and dispose of the product. Whether you purchased these products
through PetEdge, or from another source, we felt it was important to
share this information with our valued customers for the health and
safety of your customers.

To receive a refund for your remaining stock, send a letter to:

Eight In One, Inc.
1377 Motor Parkway, Ste 100
Islandia, NY 11749
Attn: Chick'N Jerky Refund

The letter should include your name and/or business name, address,
phone number, your receipt (if you still have it) and the UPC code
on the packaging. Do not return the product to the manufacturer.
Do not return the product to PetEdge. A refund check for your
remaining stock will be send to you by Eight In One, Inc.

We recommend that you post this information in your retail locations
so that consumers who purchased any of the above-identified CHICK'N
JERKY TREATS know to discontinue use of the products and discard the
unused portion. Consumers can obtain a refund by sending a letter to
Eight in One with the information stated above. FAQs and additional
information are available on the manufacturer's website,
www.eightinonepet.com or call 1-888-232-9889.

At PetEdge, our primary concern is for the health and well-being of
your customers' pets, and we will keep you informed with updated
information regarding this recall as it becomes available.

Sincerely,

PetEdge Customer Service

1 - 10 of 10 Posts