Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine. Her dog just had to have emergency blockage surgery (to the tune of 4k). What did she eat you ask? Why, a nylabone. She got a nylabone, ya know, because they are supposed to be good for the teeth. She chewed it up but apparently not all the way and she swallowed a piece.

I would have thought that something designed to be chewed on my a dog would be digestable.

Apparently not.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
yeah I got Odin one and on the box it says they can only swallow pieces that are rice, size so I watch him really closely. I am sending positive thoughts to your friends way for a fast recovery

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've learned that there are different types of Nylabones. Some are made with chicken broth inside them. They get ate. They are too soft for a vigoris chewer.

So I keep with the serious chewer styles. I've had no problems so far. But I bought that chicken one which looks like a long bone and it got ate real quick.

So Nylabone is good to the individual dog. If it were not for Nylabones this girl of mine would go crazy.

Its really quite a thing these dogs. If you give them nothing, you get lick sores. You can't win really.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nylabones are NO longer allowed around my dog! Judge thankfully did not get a blockage from it, but the whole rice size piece is a COMPLETE LIE! Judge swallowed LARGE chunks ( the size of a strawberry). Then proceeded to be sick with a tummy ache for a number of days and finally threw it all up.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I gave one to Parker when he was about 5 months old. Saw real quick where that was headed, took it away and never gave him another one. Nylabones never made sense to me. Hope your friends dog heals well.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't do nylabones in this house, and my friend will never go nylabone in hers again either. So far, the dog is coming around. She ate a little (super reduced diet) and drank a little. She is pretty ouchy because of the really big incision, but is able to walk around ok.

Thanks for the well wishes.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I have used Nylabones for years with different breeds, and sold them for 9+ years in my pet supply store with no problems. It is very important to match the Nylabone size with the breed. My Rottweilers always got the thickest ones, just as they always got the toughest Kongs. Dobermanns and retreivers have always done well with the large, bone shaped ones.

Anne has Nylabones upstairs and downstairs so one is always available if/when the chewing mood hits her. Common sense says always check the chew as it wears down and replace when needed; thin pieces can break off.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
We don't do nylabones in this house, and my friend will never go nylabone in hers again either. So far, the dog is coming around. She ate a little (super reduced diet) and drank a little. She is pretty ouchy because of the really big incision, but is able to walk around ok.

Thanks for the well wishes.
I had a similar experience after Valkyrie was kenneled when I was at a Nationals.

She suddenly became very lethargic. I checked her gums and they were white. I got lucky and $1800 later, after a blood transfusion, xrays, radiology, and hospitalization, she vomited the end piece piece of a young dog nylabone. The only thing we can think of is a little dog had left it hidden in the play area and Valkyrie swallowed it. It caused a bleeding ulcer. But at least she did not get a blockage.

Sue

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Dang....Monty has only a few things he likes, Flying Squirrels, Soft Rubber Balls, Bully Sticks and Nylabones. I have two giant laundry baskets full of all Petey's toys...Monty doesn't play with any of them. He is a fetch and chew guy.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Sam was always supervised with them and I would check the Nylabone for missing pieces. The piece was so small that I didn't notice it was gone. Imagine my horror when I see him in the morning with a giant, swollen face. The nub was going 100 miles/minute LOL

My vet gave me the lecture of the year :(

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I must admit this is the first dog that I have had love nylabones. She has tons of them and has no problems with them.

My other dogs would not touch them.

I think the nylabone thing all depends on the individual dog. I would not want to go back to giving real bones or rawhide/pig ears. They are probematic too.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Really sorry to hear what happened to your friend's dog. Very scary.

We've had Nylabones laying around our house my whole life and have never had a problem, even with my vigorous chewers. They never get anything off of them worth speaking of, let alone a chunk big enough to swallow. My guys enjoy their Nylabones. They get real bones as well, and have taken more pieces off of those than they've ever gotten off of a Nylabone. I feel pretty safe leaving my dogs with a Nylabone during the day (appropriately sized), but not with a recreational raw bone.

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
we used to only give quincy the hard plastic/nylon ones (versus the squishy, edible ones). And dang if he didn't break the tips off of two teeth. So he doesn't do nylabones anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts