Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got another one from the shelter early today unexpectedly....

He's either old or he's a blue....I haven't seen enough blue's to be able to tell the difference...they say he's four years old but we'll see....

He's as sweet as they come.....and all ready dives into my arms at every opportunity...that's if he's not licking my face....

He seem very trainable too....which makes me think he's not so old....

What do you guys think old or blue!!!????

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've just looked over at the photo gallery and he has exactly the same markings as the blues over there!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
he actually looks like a black, just with a faded face (perhaps some vitiligo, etc). the rest of his body looks very much just a regular black.

arent you concerned about bringing all these male dogs home to your existing male? while they may get along together in the beginning, multiple males can be a very dangerous thing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
glad you were able to take another on off death row, Kinteet. but I think Kim raises a good question. how are you doing with all those males? have you had any luck finding homes for any of the dogs you have rescued yet?

cc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm doing just fine....all the boys are doing great getting to know each other....I know everyones gonna try to get on my case and I really don't wanna get into a debate about it....but I do a darn good job of socializing/keeping my guys in check...I take my time and we all build a relationship where they know that I'm the alpha of the pack...and they all respect that....and I've never had any problems

I NEVER leave them unsupervised if I can't supervise them I put them in their crates....

Anyway....everyone is doing great as expected....

As far as adoption goes I've only just got these guys...adoption right now is the last thing on my list...I've gotta get them ship shape and trained up before they go anywhere....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
No worries, Kinteet, I am not going to get on your case about the males. I know for some it has been and can be dicey and I know others that have not had a single problem. I'm just glad you are able to take care of them.

cc

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.....yeah...it's good to know that they at least get another chance...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Kinteet! Good for you for saving these dobes! I don't understand why people get so uppity about more than one male in the home as I've done it as well my friend currently has four males that are fine together, one of them is a little naughty but she keeps them all in check. So you keep rescuing and being a good dober-dad!!! :dancing_b

p.s. it's a good thing I am not close I would want them all!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Kinteet said:
I'm doing just fine....all the boys are doing great getting to know each other....I know everyones gonna try to get on my case and I really don't wanna get into a debate about it....but I do a darn good job of socializing/keeping my guys in check...I take my time and we all build a relationship where they know that I'm the alpha of the pack...and they all respect that....and I've never had any problems

I NEVER leave them unsupervised if I can't supervise them I put them in their crates....

Anyway....everyone is doing great as expected....

As far as adoption goes I've only just got these guys...adoption right now is the last thing on my list...I've gotta get them ship shape and trained up before they go anywhere....
Keep up the wonderful work!! :)

I certainly would be the last person to get on your case for having more than one male....my male doberman is living happily with my pomeranian pack, two of them which are males. Actually, the only one he messes with (or should I say LOVES to play with) is my little black and tan female pom Minnie. And let me tell you, she gives it right back in their tug of war battles with toys. But, of course, they are always under constant supervision and my trainer for Apollo is fully aware of him living with my poms and also feels that with his personality, the training we are giving him and the constant supervision that things are working out just fine.

One more month till he turns six months! He'll be neutered the week of his turning of six months, the appointment is being made this week.

From one rescuer to another, thank you for taking in all of these dobes. Although I rescue poms and they are a whole lot easier to manage as well as find homes, I still do my best to at least cross post rescue dobes in need. But you, my friend I sincerely admire for all the work you do with these big babies and can't thank you enough.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
I suppose it would be "uppity" to mention that things like dilated cardiomyopathy or cervical invertebral instability are also breed problems? Just because some Dobermans don't become afflicted doesn't mean they aren't very real problems in the breed. Same sex aggression in Doberman males is something common in the breed - period. It's completely acceptable to be concerned about it, and to post warnings about it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys....yeah rescue is tough and you don't always get the luxury of picking and choosing who you wanna rescue...life and death is in your hands...

It's pretty simple I'm the alpha...I set the standard...and if they wanna keep Daddy happy (as dobies always do) they don't cross the boundries...

Me Luke and the new guy went hiking today....and they had a blast ...infact the new guy jumped in the lake....it was so funny...and then we got down to business and carried on with some serious hiking!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Keep it up man. You are doing a wonderful job you get :thumbsupb :thumbsupb from me.

Naveen

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think anyone said that posting warnings is a problem.....and I don't think anyone is trying to debate that same sex aggression exists.....

We are all just sharing our points of view aren't we?....after all some of us don't have issues with same sex aggression...it's almost like some of you are just waiting for something bad to happen so you can say "I told you so"

I do agree that some people have problems but I also think that just because you have had problems there's no need to go overboard with the warnings....if you see that what someone is doing is working then lay off and respect that....

·
Registered
665 Posts
Kinteet said:
I don't think anyone said that posting warnings is a problem.....and I don't think anyone is trying to debate that same sex aggression exists.....

We are all just sharing our points of view aren't we?....after all some of us don't have issues with same sex aggression...it's almost like some of you are just waiting for something bad to happen so you can say "I told you so"

I do agree that some people have problems but I also think that just because you have had problems there's no need to go overboard with the warnings....if you see that what someone is doing is working then lay off and respect that....
A good example to that is the SAME link to the SAME story that people post over and over and over again in regards to two male dobes not working out...which there is a link on here that I've seen a good four or five times on different threads that is the same story, same link just being repeated on. I agree....sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesnt. Just like marriage and people.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Kinteet said:
Thanks guys....yeah rescue is tough and you don't always get the luxury of picking and choosing who you wanna rescue...life and death is in your hands...
I think one of the basic principles involved in rescue is that you can't save them all..and it's really easy for people to get in over their heads that can't grasp that concept. People have to be able to recognize their limitations.

I don't want to sound like a grinch here, but I'm not going to laud someone for rescuing until I know the kind of rescue they do..there are any number of people who have proven to be detrimental to the the dogs they've taken on and the reputation of rescue itself. Unfortunately, rescue is a field where good intentions just aren't enough, and sometimes those good intentions just don't exist, either. I'm not saying Kinteet doesn't have good intentions..just throwing some thoughts out for consideration.

Kinteet-are you listed in the DPCA Rescue Directory? Have you signed their rescue Code of Ethics? Can you tell us a little about your experience in doing doberman rescue?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Kinteet said:

I did house 2 male Dobermans successfully before I knew better. I would never do it again though because now I know the chances of it not working out are greater than the chances of it working out.

I don't think anyone here is waiting to tell you so. I think we are just trying to educate some people here that it isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Nobody is hoping for the worst so they can say "I told you so". Everyone who has responded in this thread truly wants what is best for the dogs. MurreyDobe brought up a great point concerning rescues: some of you are newer here and may not have been around when we collected money to help 34 young (mostly male) dobes that had been rescued from a "rescue" (http://www.dobermantalk.com/archive/index.php/t-1184.html) - that's not to say that Kinteet is nefarious or has ill intentions, just that some "rescues" are anything but.
As far as housing multiple males - Either people will heed the warnings or not - If they don't, I know that I hope for the best and would love to be proven wrong. As far as the same story being posted over and over again - It is well written and a great account of how housing multiple males can wreak havoc on your life. Sadly, most dogs who are victims to their owners mistake don't live in a house long enough or have someone who cares enough to seperate them until other arrangements can be made. Contact any rescue and they'll tell you how many males come in due to male/male aggression.
It's part of the breed. I'm not sure why it is so difficult for people to understand that there are reasons why rescues and reputable breeders won't place a male with another...
A LONG time ago, I helped teach an obedience class (kind of apprenticed really) and a woman came in with a Husky. She wanted to train the dog well enough to allow him to run off lead. Kelly, the instructor, all but laughed out loud. Huskies run, they run fast and they run far and should never be allowed off lead, it's part of the breed. Do some people have Huskies that are reliable off lead? I'm sure they do. Are they an exception to the rule? Absolutely! If you want a dog that is reliable off lead - get a Golden. If you want a breed where you can safely house multiple males - get something other than a Dobe. If you choose to house multiple male Dobes, be prepared for people who are devoted to and educated in breed to question and warn against it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Murreydobe said:
I think one of the basic principles involved in rescue is that you can't save them all..and it's really easy for people to get in over their heads that can't grasp that concept. People have to be able to recognize their limitations.

I don't want to sound like a grinch here, but I'm not going to laud someone for rescuing until I know the kind of rescue they do..there are any number of people who have proven to be detrimental to the the dogs they've taken on and the reputation of rescue itself. Unfortunately, rescue is a field where good intentions just aren't enough, and sometimes those good intentions just don't exist, either. I'm not saying Kinteet doesn't have good intentions..just throwing some thoughts out for consideration.

Kinteet-are you listed in the DPCA Rescue Directory? Have you signed their rescue Code of Ethics? Can you tell us a little about your experience in doing doberman rescue?
Hi guys....

Murrydobe...I've been running a rescue for a total of 6 years...4 years Malamutes and 2 years Dobies (I took another 2 years out when my wife had our baby) in that time I rescued a Dobie from friend and the rest is history...I originally started with Alaskan Malamutes...and they say exactly the same about them as far as same sex aggression goes and I never had problems then....simply because I follow my own routine and I'm very careful about introducing new dogs to each other.... infact before I started my rescue I got myself certified in dog training so I could learn how to deal with things like this...

As far as the Doberman club thing goes I've giving them my details 2-3 times and have seen or heard nothing....as far as I'm concerned rescue is hard/stressful enough without having to deal with people automatically doubgting your intentions....which is why a lot of rescuers leave rescue....this is actually a pet peev of mine....and is why I and a lot of other rescues just do what they can do on there own.....I just wanna do what I do and enjoy what I'm doing...I'm not intending to be a large rescue I wanna stay small....because I basically learnt from my mistakes when I rescued Mals....

Infact if this pup comes today I'm gonna have to close my doors so I can still look after the guys I have properly....but luckly we don't get many Dobes down here at all.....and I have also learnt that you cannot save them all...Everything I do I do by myself because basically people are unreliable and if I relied on others I'd get nothing done and there'd be a few more dead dobies....I don't get any funding I don't get any donations it's all off of my own back....my wife is very supportive of me and my rescue and that's helped a lot....so really she desrves a lot of the credit for these guys being here with us....basically I'm just a small rescue just doing what I can with what I have....

Hope that helped Murrydobe...

Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts