Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another knee problem - UPDATE P.2 BAD NEWS

Looks like Storm has done something to her left hind knee. She had an arthroscopic debridement on her right 3/05 after a partial tear, and we knew that her odds were greater that she could damage her other knee. Seems as though it's happened :emo10:

Sunday she yelped and hopped up to us on the deck on three legs....then walked away as though everything were fine. Every morning since then, I've heard a strange cracking/popping noise her first few steps after she gets up, while she stretches. We went to the vet tonight for a sore that Ava has on her lip (don't know what that is either :emo8: ) and I had the vet palpate and flex her, and she definitely had a pain response. We'll wait 2 weeks and have an x-ray, and then if it's for sure, I guess we will be having the arthro. on this knee as well.

Bums me out.....and she doesn't deserve this. :let_it_al
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,740 Posts
TwoDobieGirls said:
Looks like Storm has done something to her left hind knee. She had an arthroscopic debridement on her right 3/05 after a partial tear, and we knew that her odds were greater that she could damage her other knee. Seems as though it's happened :emo10:

Sunday she yelped and hopped up to us on the deck on three legs....then walked away as though everything were fine. Every morning since then, I've heard a strange cracking/popping noise her first few steps after she gets up, while she stretches. We went to the vet tonight for a sore that Ava has on her lip (don't know what that is either :emo8: ) and I had the vet palpate and flex her, and she definitely had a pain response. We'll wait 2 weeks and have an x-ray, and then if it's for sure, I guess we will be having the arthro. on this knee as well.

Bums me out.....and she doesn't deserve this. :let_it_al
sorry to hear it. On the positive side, she is very lucky to have an owner who is willing to do whatever needs to be done. I've seen dogs turned into rescue for less. We had one once that the owner called "defective" and he did not want him anymore. He apparently thought no more of turning the dog into rescue for being "defective" than returning a toaster that broke.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
awww Im so sorry for the ouchy! :( But velmadobe is right atleast she has a great owner to take care of her :) keep us updated :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
velmadobe said:
We had one once that the owner called "defective" and he did not want him anymore. He apparently thought no more of turning the dog into rescue for being "defective" than returning a toaster that broke.
Defective? OMG. I would hurt that person. Storm will get whatever she needs and is best and we will deal. I'm just dreading what will happen as she gets older. More "breakdowns" of her knees? The inevitable arthritis kicking in? My husband finally got home and I completely lost it, I was sobbing and screaming about how she will be so crippled by the eventual arthritis that we will have to put her down. He reminded me that scenario is a long time away. I have to give him kudos, he's very patient when I get like that, he brings me tissues and lets me rant and rave until I've got it out of my system.

Poor Storm knew there was something wrong and was practically in my lap. I even snotted on the poor girl :supergrin She's such a trooper!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
I'm sorry for poor Storm but like the others am so happy she has an owner willing to see her through any and everything.
Understanding husbands help so much! I can't imagine being with a man who didn't understand my concern for me dogs.
Please keep us updated! You're all in our thoughts and prayers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
Oh. I am so sorry for Storm. It does help to have someone to rant and rave to. He sounds so supportive. Your so lucky, and so is Storm.

I can't believe someone would turn in a dog for "defective". Grrrr. Makes me boil to read that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
velmadobe said:
sorry to hear it. On the positive side, she is very lucky to have an owner who is willing to do whatever needs to be done. I've seen dogs turned into rescue for less. We had one once that the owner called "defective" and he did not want him anymore. He apparently thought no more of turning the dog into rescue for being "defective" than returning a toaster that broke.

Good luck!

some people are just horrible! the worst surrender story I have heard was that the lady bought new furniture and the dog no longer color-coordinated :O
 

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
Joined
·
4,376 Posts
TwoDobieGirls said:
Looks like Storm has done something to her left hind knee. She had an arthroscopic debridement on her right 3/05 after a partial tear, and we knew that her odds were greater that she could damage her other knee. Seems as though it's happened :emo10:

Sunday she yelped and hopped up to us on the deck on three legs....then walked away as though everything were fine. Every morning since then, I've heard a strange cracking/popping noise her first few steps after she gets up, while she stretches. We went to the vet tonight for a sore that Ava has on her lip (don't know what that is either :emo8: ) and I had the vet palpate and flex her, and she definitely had a pain response. We'll wait 2 weeks and have an x-ray, and then if it's for sure, I guess we will be having the arthro. on this knee as well.

Bums me out.....and she doesn't deserve this. :let_it_al
Sorry to hear the news about Storm,No dobie deserves it, they live to run and jump,Why? because they are dobes,Why do we fix em up? because we love em!Heck you & me and just about everyone on here would spend their last penny to put them right,we just have to do it,it comes with the territory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zucker said:
some people are just horrible! the worst surrender story I have heard was that the lady bought new furniture and the dog no longer color-coordinated :O
OH.....MY......GOD. :*******:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
OMG...I have to tell a story on myself!!! About 13 yrs ago I was getting ready for work and had let Mindy (has since passed) out for her morning duties, she would sit on the deck or lay in the sun for as long as I let her. I was about to leave for work and called her in...she stood up and was dragging her back leg, I was horrified. I freaked, called my husband at work, I was blabbering, he couldn't understand me. I think I got out "dog" "vet" "now" I had made Mindy lay down right in side the door and I sat with her, her being "paralyzed" and all LOL....Hubby came home picked her up and rushed her to the Vet, while I had a nervous break-down.....he called about 45 minutes later...her leg had fallen asleep!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
ooooo no! haha just proves we all do everything and more for our animals! Dogs and humans are lucky to have each other:)
have we heard anything more about storms leg? Hope she is doing well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ROFL, PeeWeesMama!!!

No news. Storm has bee absolutely fine except for the cracking/popping noises in the AM. No limping at all. We have an appointment next Tuesday (not this Tues., the following) for an x-ray to determine if there have been any bony changes.

We have kept her on-lead only while outside. She's walking fine and pulling us along. We're going to keep her on-lead and hopefully those muscles will compensate for whatever it was that she did, at least to buy us some time before another surgery. My husband thinks that maybe all she did was strain it, maybe there isn't even a tear. We can hope, right? :xyxthumbs Keep your fingers crossed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,571 Posts
LOL PeeWeesMama!! That is great! I hope it turns out better for Storm and hopefully she doesn't need another surgery anytime soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for all your well-wishes. It really does help. We'll be doing the wait-and-see approach, so if there are NO updates from me, that's GOOD news!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
Prayers continued for Storm! Have you tried glucosamine pills? They (IMO) work very well... I have three poms who all have luxating patellas for instance and it certainly does seem to help a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,169 Posts
LeighaG81 said:
Prayers continued for Storm! Have you tried glucosamine pills? They (IMO) work very well... I have three poms who all have luxating patellas for instance and it certainly does seem to help a bit.
How bad of a mom am I? Chi has gotten glucosamine since she was about 5 months and an x-ray revealed a shallow hip socket. Petri (my chihuahua mix) has had a luxating patella since I got him about 4 years ago and I've never thought to give him the supplement! It doesn't bother him often, but occassionally I'll catch him limping or holding it stiff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update - BAD NEWS

Storm re-injured her left knee Thursday evening. She's not been able to walk on it all weekend, just barely setting her toe down for balance, even with the assistance of her pain pills. She's scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning. Please send good thoughts her way :sadcry:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top