Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ajax | Illinois Doberman Rescue

Poor Ajax! He was adopted from IDR+ back in 2007, and despite our contract clearly stating that the dog must come back to us, the adopter gave him away to some random person. Fast forward to last week when we received an “urgent” email from a person who needed to give up their Dobe with a skin condition. They dropped him off at a shelter that works closely with us, and his shocking condition horrified everyone who saw him at the shelter. Not only was his skin condition completely out of control, causing him to be nearly bald with large open sores, but this large male Dobe weighed only 44 pounds! We scanned his chip, and we were surprised to learn it was our Ajax! Our vet confirmed his skin condition is not demodex mange, so we are treating him for sarcoptic and looking into allergies. The vet found no cause for his emaciated state, so we reported this horrible neglect case to the police. We are waiting for the police to do their work, but in the mean time we are feeding him several small meals a day, and he is on steroids to treat his skin. Not once in the “urgent” emails to us did the previous owners mention he was HALF his body weight. We are upset that no matter what we do to screen for appropriate adopters, things like this happen. We are comforted that he is back in good hands now and will get the treatment he needs. After he is at a healthy weight and treated for his skin condition, he will be available for adoption.

·
Registered
939 Posts
His pictures made me cry.. hes so hurt, and he still has the spirit to roll in the grass. What a sweet, sweet boy.

Is there any way we can make donations for Ajax?

ETA: just saw the website.. nevermind! :)

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
I am clueless as to why a human being would allow this to happen. And yet we are supposed to be at the top of the food chain because we are supposed to be smarter. Are these people blind to the condition of this dog? I hope he finds a forever home that has green grass and a family to love him until the end of his days................I interject how I would feel if it was my soul mate that it had happened to. my God,my God, my God.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
This really is the only time i have an overwhelming urge to punch someone! I'm a patient person, really quite tolerant and empathic towards people....but the scum who did this to this beautiful boy....I WANT TO PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE! :mad:

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
How horrible! Thankfully ajax seems to know he's in good hands and is happy about it! Rolling in the grass despite his emaciated state just shows me how well he can forget the past when he's in the hands of truly loving people!
Hugs and doberkisses to ajax from Mabel and Me!

Reactions: Dobejazz

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
I'm so glad he's back with IDR, and it's heartbreaking to see what he's been through. It's true that no matter how careful you are, sometimes people are really, really good at deceiving you. Please keep us updated on how he does. Despite how terrible he looks, he seems full of joy to be back with you.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
First of all...WTF IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Now that I got a little of that out of my system...

Poor Ajax! He was adopted from IDR+ back in 2007, and despite our contract clearly stating that the dog must come back to us, the adopter gave him away to some random person.
Honestly, I think Ajax's first adopter should be brought in to meet him in his current condition to drive home the point of why the dog was supposed to go back to rescue.

This is unf*ckingacceptable and people should be forced to see the consequences of NOT following a rescue's guidelines. It just disgusts me that this poor dog has now had to be rescued twice and just look at that poor boy. There is NO EXCUSE for his original adopter not returning him.

We're running out of room on this planet anyway. I say we start ridding the human population first of the twisted *******s who cause this kind of pain for other living creatures.

Jesus.

I can't say anything else. It pisses me off too much.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Bless IDR! It's so heart wrenching to think that without all of you, this poor poor dog would have ended his life in this state.

What is WRONG with people? Seriously, I just do not get it. Why not take them to the pound? While I hate, hate, hate that pounds put dogs to sleep (and yes, I know there's just not enough homes), it has to be better than a slowly horrible death from starvation....

brw1982: I second your motions!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts