Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to get my pups ears cropped and have always been told to wait until he was 12 weeks old to get them cropped but now im being told that i cant get them cropped after he is 12 weeks old and should have had his ears done between 7 and 12 weeks:uuuh_2d_silly:. Sarge is just over 12 weeks but it might be another week or so before i can get everything set up for him to get his ears cropped.

What im woundering is can i still get his ears cropped ven though he is over 12 weeks old or is it better to just not to get his ears cropped at all at this point?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
It all depends on the vet, there are some that won't crop over 12 and some that will crop up till 14 or even rarely 16 weeks. Contact the vet you want to use and see what they have to say. If your too late, then he'll be natural and still just as handsome :)

p.s. We love pictures!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Id just leave them. SOME and I mean some people will do it up to 14 weeks but the time frame is usually 7-12 weeks. My pup had his done at 7. If I were you I'd let them be :) if you plan on doing it really make sure you pick the best vet possible and prepare yourself for the aftercare it's a lot of work if your breeder didn't do it for you. Posting is easy it's dealing with the healing process that can be tricky. Good luck! Post pictures :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
The other responses are right, SOME vets will crop later than 12 weeks, but most wont. If I were in your position I'd jsut leave him natural.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a good vet out here he has been doing ear croping for 30 years but if I cant get it done within the next week ill leave them

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
If ear cropping was important to you, you should have purchased from a breeder that handles this, so new owners are not left floundering. Perhaps next time.

I'd leave them natural.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If ear cropping was important to you, you should have purchased from a breeder that handles this, so new owners are not left floundering. Perhaps next time.

I'd leave them natural.
What she said!! :thumbsup:

Reactions: sam&macksmom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im pretty sure the breeder was running a puppy mill cause of the fact that he gave me sarge when he was 6 Weeks old and that when he delivered him to me he had a large cage full of puddle puppys

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Again, personally I would leave them natural but if you are adamant about getting them cropped, PLEASE find a good cropping vet. Cropping is an art. There are vets out there who say they've been cropping for 100 years but I wouldn't let them crop a stuffed animal let alone my dobe.

Private message DT member: Jenny

I believe she's in your state and perhaps can recommend a good cropping vet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts