Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word of a Dobe at a local shelter. My husband has been over to check on him, seems to be a nice boy, young ( we think) blue, uncropped and unneuter (for now) He was seized by AC due to neglect. We can spring him but do not have a way to quarantine him. ( a must for dogs coming out of a pound)
Does anyone have room to foster this boy?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
I know you've ready my situation and sent me an e-mail for the breeders. Thanks so much.

Do you have any more information about this boy? If he is young enough and could be socialized with kids and cats (and my old lady) I can talk to my husband about him. We would love to adopt if it were the right circumstances for the family. My husband is very nervous about bringing in an older dog though because of the kids and cats (me too obviously).

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
uwharrie said:
Just got word of a Dobe at a local shelter. My husband has been over to check on him, seems to be a nice boy, young ( we think) blue, uncropped and unneuter (for now) He was seized by AC due to neglect. We can spring him but do not have a way to quarantine him. ( a must for dogs coming out of a pound)
I've taken dogs directly out of pound situations and brought them into my home to foster. If the dogs at home are healthy and vaccinated, I'm not sure there is a lot of cause for major paranoia about "quarantining" the shelter dog - they usually go into a quarantine situation at the shelter for the first few days. Honestly, my dogs have picked up more "stuff" from going to dog shows than they have by me bringing in the occasional shelter dog.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Can anybody tell me if it is a bad idea to bring in a shelter dog to a home with family and other pets? I guess I'm trying to talk myself out of the thought of it. I fell in love with Rambo at first sight but I know we weren't the family for him for the reasons that I'd have to crate him almost constantly when I was working (I work at home), bathroom, anytime I couldn't be right there with him. He was way to timid for me to be able to trust around my family, even though at the shelter he was very "velcro" with my son, and also a little older then we would have liked at 3+ years.

I would honestly rather bring in a dog that needed a home though then purchasing a pup. And.....wow, it's been a long time since I trained a puppy.

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
In your situation, if you were going to consider a rescue dog it should be one from a bonafide rescue group where the dog was fostered, exposed to various things like kids, cats, other dogs, etc and its quirks were worked out beforehand.

There really is no telling how a shelter dog will do in a family situation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are bailing him out tomorrow. He will go straight to the vets for the neuter, vaccinations, HW test and worming
will know more once we get him here.
This dog was chained to a tree basically abandoned. Is about 20 lbs underweight
MaryAndDobes said:
In your situation, if you were going to consider a rescue dog it should be one from a bonafide rescue group where the dog was fostered, exposed to various things like kids, cats, other dogs, etc and its quirks were worked out beforehand.

There really is no telling how a shelter dog will do in a family situation.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Thank you. I think the same thing even though I wish it were different. We'll probably go with looking for a pup and then rescue in a few years when my son is a little older. I feel better knowing we trained him/her "from the ground up".

Uwharrie, good luck with the boy. It is heartbreaking I know. I hope you find him the great home he is deserving of.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not so much worrying about viruses but parasites. They are NOT quarantined in the shelters around here, they simply do not have that kind of room. This is not a Humane society or like, it is the local pound. dogs come in, they get 3 days to be adopted if not they are PTS. This boy's last day was yesterday so naturally we bailed him out. I am not currently set up to foster, but had no choice.

MaryAndDobes said:
I've taken dogs directly out of pound situations and brought them into my home to foster. If the dogs at home are healthy and vaccinated, I'm not sure there is a lot of cause for major paranoia about "quarantining" the shelter dog - they usually go into a quarantine situation at the shelter for the first few days. Honestly, my dogs have picked up more "stuff" from going to dog shows than they have by me bringing in the occasional shelter dog.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Glad you got him out. He should be fine, take him to a different place to deficate if you are concerned (maybe a driveway so you can either scoop away the gravel or disinfect the area if paved) about the spread of parasites that way until after he is wormed a few times. As for fleas, a dose of advantage or frontline will kill those off.

Same thing I do with my cats, I just keep the rescues in a separate room till I make sure they aren't carrying anything transmittable (URI's) and keep them with their own litter box until a after a few doses of wormer, so nothing can spread to my 5 kids (lol and other various fosters). (unless there were obvious signs of other problems, like ringworm or something, then the situation will vary)

Good luck with the boy!

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
Still, don't be thinking there aren't any parasites at the dog shows. Your dogs are probably exposed to them a lot more regularly than you think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
true but its still not the same as your yard being infested. Once you get whip eggs in your yard it takes years to get them gone.
I have never heard of a dog getting whips from a show ( if the owners were being at least somewhat careful) but I know of plenty of folks who dogs developed a whip infestation after having rescues in.
I am not new to rescue, have been doing it for over 20 yrs including mill dogs (only IGs & sighthounds till two years ago)

MaryAndDobes said:
Still, don't be thinking there aren't any parasites at the dog shows. Your dogs are probably exposed to them a lot more regularly than you think.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
I am really glad that you got your hands on him before he was PTS. I wish you the best of luck in finding him a wonderful forever home!

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
That is true about whips. We never had a problem with them at all, Cleo was on Sentinel but Summer was on heartguard. I just never changed her over and low and behold since Cleo died and we've been spending time at a park down the road, Summer was diagnosed. Luckely it couldn't have been more then about 6 weeks but still. She has been switched to Sentinel and we still stay away from that park.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the boy is at the vets as I type. he was HW Neg ( thank goodness) He will be neutered, vaccinated wormed ect. David said he really came out of his shell once out of the shelter. the bad news is he weighs only 56 lbs!
He comes here tomorrow and then the fun begins ;-) Once we can evaluate him we will know better what type of home he needs to go to. Of course then we have to find that home!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Poor skinny boy.......been there done that. Some good groceries will do him good. Good luck! I love other rescue people! {{{HUGS}}}

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Good luck with him. Poor boy. He'll do great with you and any family will end up very lucky to have him with them.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I hope he turns out to have a very good temperament with no issues so his re-homing choices can be many :)

Good luck, and post some pics if you get the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts