Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just wanted to share my sotry and get some input. Our 5 year old Doberman boy Cooper is going to the vets this friday. I am 99% sure I know what is going to be said, and I am already horribly upset. Cooper started breathing a little heavier during the winter when laying down (almost like a bit of a snore but on exhale). I put if off as a little extra weight and his habbit of jamming his nose into or under anything while sleeping. Nothing else was different, he was still extremely enegetic an happy-go-lucky. I was aware of DCM, but this being my first Doberman and the fact that I spent a huge amount of time picking out a reputable breeder who does health testing, I felt we were safe--I had no clue how many dogs were lost to this disease at a young age.
Anyways, two days ago Cooper was running around the yard, and I watched him colllapse, he fell down three times. I had to get hubby to go and pickhim up and bring him into the house. His gums were white and he was in repiratory distress. He quickly recovered, and was majorly concerned that we were going to forget his supper. That opened my eyes, now I am noticing his respirations are very laboured when laying down, his energy level is much less, and he seems tired. He still wants to play, cuddle and eat. His resting heart rate is now somewhere around 115 beats per minute. I feel horrible that I didnt take notice sooner, but I honestly though that nothing was the matter with my snoring dobie. But I cant get him into the vet until this friday, and I think I know what I will be told. I am so upset. Doing a little research, he came from a litter of twelve-he has lost one brother to DCM at 3 and another has had a swab test come back positive.
I have a distrust for the vets in my area due to previous interactions, and their we live in a rural area, I have had a vet tell me my female registered donie must have been of the wire-coated variety and that there is nothing to worry about, when i took her in because I was concerned about the quality of her coat and wanted her to have blood tests (to check thyroid, etc);and there are not vetrinary cardiologists near by. I am going to demand a chest xray and a thorugh heard examination, wish me luck...But I feel that it is probably too late for and treatment due to what I have heard and what people i have talked have said. He has deterioratted so much in the past two days, from a snorting dobie to one who is very tired and sounds very congested. I work out of town and now I am worried about working extra shifts to cover vet expenses (my hubby is at home withour boy). I know I probably shouldnt be working, cause I cannot focus on anything right now, and periodically burst into tears.
We have talked and quality of life is what is important. I will not have my boy suffer just to pro-long his life to make me feel better.
Would any of you have stayed away or will stay away from this breed because of DCM (if you have or might in the future lose a dog to it)?
How will I know when the time comes to PTS? I hope he goes quicky, playing ball, or having a cuddle... I am bawling right now...

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry for the typos and rambling quality, it is difficult to type when you are misty eyed :*(

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I am sorry for you and your best friend....

You will know the correct time to help. He has been a good dog for you and you will be a good owner for him. Again, sorry......

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I'm so sorry for you both. I'm glad you did go to a breeder that health test BUT you must remember this is a breed problem not a line problem.. NO line is clear of DCM it is there somewhere waiting to rear its ugly head.
We as breeders can only test the dogs that we breed at the time .. does not mean that one or both parents will not get DCM later in life.
I know test my dogs every year for THEM so IF they get it will catch it early to prolong their lives.
Yes I too have been through it and yes I have shed many tears BUT I love my breed and am willing to take the bad with the good. Every breed has health issues .
When owning a doberman this sadly is a risk we all fear happening one day. Some have been lucky with the dogs they've owned /bred But one day we/they all will experience it Sadly.
Please love you boy and enjoy him for however long that may be.
My thoughts are with you and him.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I am so sorry you are having to deal with this. Most of us have been there at one point or another, and we definitely feel your pain.

Reactions: dax0402

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,339 Posts
So very sorry you are going through this horrible disease. You have come to the right place for a great support group. Just live in the moment and treasure each and every minute with your Dobe.

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Totally agree with Dax0402, you've come to the right place. There are too many others here on the forum going through this atm (me included). The info & support you will get here is amazing. Please let us know how he gets on at the vets on Friday.

Hugs to Cooper & you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts