Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a guy I know with two dobes. He emailed me yesterday and told me that both of them were eating the plastic trays that are in the bottom of their crates. He said that they had been throwing up pieces of it. He also said that he put a piece of plywood down in his boys crate so it would take him longer to eat it, YIKES! I told him that could be very dangerous, and I suggested he get a chew proof bed to go in the bottom of the crate, or maybe a thin sheet of metal with lost of blankets and a pad on top of that so they maybe couldn't chew it. I also asked him if he put frozen kongs, or other stuff that is SAFE for them to chew in it. He said that he only puts rope toys in them, and they unravel those. He said he would check into the chew proof beds. I asked him to keep me updated. I have no idea how much these dogs are excercised, so I'm not sure if it's due to boredom from not enough exercise or what. I'm assuming that it's either that or separation anxiety. I know that he works full time and is pretty busy. I don't know him very well, we only met at an obedience class, so I try not to be too nosey when I offer suggestions. I was just wondering what some of you guys thought or if you had any other suggestions that I could tell him about?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Nope, I think your suggestions are great! The only thing I could think of is to put nothing there except their blankets. Of course this is if the dogs are housebroken. It's strange that they chew the plastic and not the blankets, or does he not put any blankets in?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
His dogs are housebroken. I'm pretty sure he puts blankets in there. If he has a wire crate like I do, then there's also the wire bottom, so he may think that their toes could get caught in the wire bottom, and that's why he doesn't take the plastic out. I'll wait and see if he emails me back, and I'll ask him about that. Thanks.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Get him to take some action as soon as possible or those dogs could end up needing surgery.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Brum, I just hope he takes everything that I told him yesterday to heart. I don't like to try to tell people what to do with their dogs, but it's a different story if the dog's life is in danger. I told him that it could be very dangerous. I told him it could cause blockages or cut up their intestines. He said he was glad they were throwing the stuff up, but I told him that one day they may not. I'm afraid I can only tell him so much. I just hope and pray he does something before it's too late. If I don't hear from him by tomorrow morning, I will email him and see if he's taken any of my advice yet. So, I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Throwing up sharp plastic is not so good either. It does not come up as easy as it when down. (No gravity)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know it's not good Okie. I feel like I need to do an intervention, but like I said I can only hope that he's taken the advice I've given him and hopefully he does something before it's too late. Oh, those poor dogs! I couldn't believe that he put plywood in there either. He said that was better because it was taking him longer to eat it. It's only common sense that plywood and plastic are not edible or digestible. Hum, maybe he doesn't have any common sense. Yikes, that's pretty scarey!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
natdobe said:
I know it's not good Okie. I feel like I need to do an intervention, but like I said I can only hope that he's taken the advice I've given him and hopefully he does something before it's too late. Oh, those poor dogs! I couldn't believe that he put plywood in there either. He said that was better because it was taking him longer to eat it. It's only common sense that plywood and plastic are not edible or digestible. Hum, maybe he doesn't have any common sense. Yikes, that's pretty scarey!

Hehe, intervention that's funny. Don't worry so much, maybe you could suggest a dog walker. It sounds like he works alot of hours and this would help break up the day for the dog's.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Plastic toy cost me a thousand dollars and that was with passing it. That was meds overnight IV and barium and blood work etc. We had a surgery time set up and in place and luckily enough she passed the piece. That is not even touching the mental anguish are family went through thinking we were going to lose her. Tell your friend as a friend your concerns and tell him what it cost me monetarily and emotionally I was a wreck.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It sounds like to me that his dogs are not getting enough exercise. The suggestion of Kongs is a great one. If he is so busy maybe you could suggest that he take his dogs to a doggie day care once or twice a week or maybe hire a dog walker. I know that there are some people that feel the need to have a dog but if you dont have the time to dedicate to them it is just not fair to them.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Poor things are bored out of their minds! Maybe if he got up an hour earlier to walk them before he had to crate them during the day? Kongs with cheerios and peanut butter, tossed in the freezer so they last longer might help. No one who is that busy has any business owning an intelligent, high-energy breed like a Dobe. What he needs is a bulldog - an animal that won't realize he has left for work until he walks back in the door at the end of the day!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, where we live there are no dog walkers. So, I think that is out of the question. I know that he told me before that they wear each other out. I took that to mean that he doesn't really exercise them, because he lets them play with each other mostly. I know that he plays with them with balls and stuff, but I'm not sure if he takes them on walks or for a run. I'm guessing he doesn't have time in the morning to really let them play much before work. I know that we have some doggy daycares, but I don't know if he would want to pay for that. I may mention it to him. I don't want to be too pushy, because I don't know him that well.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sounds like boredom, plain and simple. I hope your "intervention" is successful. You know how it is, it takes a license to drive a car, but anyone can own a dog (or have a baby)!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts