Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chihiro's breeder suggested and provided a small bag of Royal Canin large breed puppy and from what I understand it's a pretty choice food but it's VERY expensive here. Over time I've switched her to Nature's Choice Large Breed Puppy and although she seems to be doing well I've noticed the past few days she's been puking a bit. She's eating well, her stools are fine, she's actice and otherwise just the picture of health. It looks like just partially digested food that comes up with either very little or no bile at all. It's almost always at night that she gets sick too. Could it be that I'm feeding her too much at one time? She gets just about 1 1/4 cups 2x's a day. Would it be better to feed her 3x's a day with the last meal being a bit smaller?
Tracy

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Yeah that does seems like a bit much....My 17 month old gets 1 cup 2x a day. When she was little she got only a small handful 4-5 times a day. Is she 2 and 1/2 months like the avatar says. Definetely make the portions smaller. Her tummy is only as big as the top of her head (that's a good relation) and break them up to several times a day, gradually weaning to 3 then 2 times a day. Remember, only a month ago or so ago she had free choice food from Mommy whenever she wanted.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jesse,
Had never heard the tummy is the size of the top of the head before, will definately keep that in mind. Gave her 4 meals of almost a 1/2 cup each yesterday and no puke. She also had a ton more energy (which I attribute to her not being so full), poo's were a bit firmer too. Yeah for all the smart and informative people to be found on the internet :)

~Tracy

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi, I feed my 4 dobermans on Nutro choice also and have had a good result with it..
Now I feed 3 times a day for my dogs.. Each get any where from 1 to 2 cups per feeding.
As for the puking first check with your vet to make sure there are no health problems.. If that is all well, Is your dog eating very fast at night.. I know that my male had a problem with that at first.. He would be so hungry that he ate really fast. I put a tennis ball in his bowl to help him slow down and it helped.. Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was told not to feed puppy food with my GSD.. something about making them grow too fast.. this is per the breeder... When my new pup, I'll prolly be feeding him Royal Canin GSD 24. That is what the breeder has all her pooches on. and they seem to excell at it.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Just for a comparison I feed my 2 year old 1-1/4 cups 2 times per day, so that does seem like alot of food for your Pup.

I am glad she is doing better with the smaller meals now.

DA

·
Banned
375 Posts
:boldblue:
TracyJo said:
Chihiro's breeder suggested and provided a small bag of Royal Canin large breed puppy and from what I understand it's a pretty choice food but it's VERY expensive here. Over time I've switched her to Nature's Choice Large Breed Puppy and although she seems to be doing well I've noticed the past few days she's been puking a bit. She's eating well, her stools are fine, she's actice and otherwise just the picture of health. It looks like just partially digested food that comes up with either very little or no bile at all. It's almost always at night that she gets sick too. Could it be that I'm feeding her too much at one time? She gets just about 1 1/4 cups 2x's a day. Would it be better to feed her 3x's a day with the last meal being a bit smaller?
Tracy

First of Royal Canin isnt good... Have you looked at the ingredients of that food or any food hi eats... if there is corn in the first six... that should be a huge NO!!! then if you find any corn meal no no no..... I work at a holistic dog food store and if your food has corn in it anywhere dont feed it.... unless it is medicated food then you have too...

Have you check out holistic food or raw food... those are the best foods.... no you arent feeding her to much.. depending on her age if she is an adult that is fine but if she isnt an adult then you may want to think about changing to free feeding her if she is a puppy till she is a year old... but holistic foods are somewhat cheaper and way cheaper than royal canin... my cats used to eat that.... ugh to much money...

then...try it out dont just change her all at once... take your time... because it will cause a problem... i dont think there is a huge problem here but try finding a holistic dog food center in your area and try that... better for their health and much better for there stomach

Corn isnt digestible... Meat is... lets stick to what is natural for them... if you would like i can check at my work and see if i can give you our prices so you have something to go off of???!!? :pinkie:

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
in terms of how much a dog eats its really all depending on the dog and the food.

i know some very large dogs that eat just as much as their much smaller counterparts --
i have a friend who feeds her 68 lb doberman 1.5 times as much as my own 90+ lb doberman.

a lot has to do with stage of growth - growing dogs need more nutrients and will need to eat more than adult dogs. their metabolic rate is also higher (and in older dogs, some endocrine disorders like hypothyroidism can mean their metabolism is even SLOWER). also, some foods are much more nutrient dense than others -- take EVO for example - the new innova food. many people need to feed significantly less of that food than others.

an example:
when bowie was first adopted (and i was to believe "uncurable") he was eating i/d -- to put on and then maintain weight, he was eating 5 cups and 2 cans a day of food.

i then switched him to innova, and he ate 2 cups a day, maybe a little less once i added in all the extras.

now on raw, he eats on average 2 lbs a day. he weighs 91 lbs right now, and is pretty perfect.
mya is 66-70 lbs and she eats over 2 lbs a day - she is not really more active than him, and she could stand to put ON some weight, but her metabolism is just THAT much higher than bowies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts