Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duke is 12 weeks old now and still had to keep his ears wrapped. A lot of people ask what's going on with his ears and just say, "aww" and leave it be. Then there are other people who doesn't bother to come talk to us and just make sneer remarks loud enough for us to hear how cruel and inhumane we are.

Went to a (what i thought was) reputable vet in our area and she gave me a verbal lashing about how inhumane I was about his ears, and that if the breeder did it, it's illegal...etc.

Sorry, just had to vent here. Looking to see if anyone else can relate to my occurrences with annoying people.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I think we've all experienced it (those of us with cropped dobes). It all goes away once the posting process is done. *shrug* I knew to expect it so I either giggled at the remarks/people or blew them off.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I think we've all experienced it (those of us with cropped dobes). It all goes away once the posting process is done. *shrug* I knew to expect it so I either giggled at the remarks/people or blew them off.
Same here, when I'd have some of the puppies home for a weekend and out socializing it ranged from people not noticing and just saying how cute she/he was, to some being polite but obviously against it all the way to the jogger one puppy ran up to while out for a potty break that told me I didn't deserve a dog and how dare I "hack" it's ears off. (Because "hacking" is exactly what happens :rolleyesww: it's not a precise art or anything...)
I just smile and say thanks for your opinion but it's not your dog. Or thank the competent people for having a clue that she/he is obviously a happy puppy that happens to have taped ears.

You get used to it and for the most part it disappears once they're done posting.

Reactions: GRAYGHOST

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Yep, I'd bet anybody and everybody with a cropped Doberman has experienced it. I still get rude remarks now that my dogs are adults, but when their ears were still being taped, it was worse. I just ignored people for the most part, got snarky right back with a few who deserved it, or politely educated people as best I could. It all depended (still does) on the situation and the person.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
The best is when people tell me they are go glad I didn't have V's ears cropped. I think they think if they are cropped they stand all the time. I just smile and nod. Sometimes it just not worth getting into.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sheesh, at the vets office too? I would've had a few choice words then walked out !

I too usually opt for educating people about whats cruel. People that think piercing their baby girls ears..did the babies ask for that? nope.. is it done with pain meds and under sedation? nope... and the always good one, circumcision...did the little boys ask for it? nope, any real reason to do it? nope its mainly for cosmetic/religious reasons.

The only difference is we are KINDER to our pups. They get better pain meds, if done correctly ( especially with a laser ) it is virtually pain free.

My girl was done with a laser, absolutely no pain, from her or any in her litter. NO swelling at all, no bleeding. 2 hrs after the ear crop, she was running, playing, letting me look at her ears, no tenderness at all.

Humans are more cruel to other people...and for dumber reasons. :p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also, as for the vets office, I would have said this:

Yep, if YOU would have done it, I would have considered it cruel too.( which is why I didnt bring the pup to this office ) Just because you have an education and were versed in how to cut into animals, doesnt give you the qualifications to crop ears. Cropping ears is very much an art form, and the vets that do care, take great pride and love in how they do it. Making the least amount of complications for the pup.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Lucky your vet is not mine....as I would have had more then a few words for them!
Find a new one pronto!

·
Registered
262 Posts
You know what the real story is and people who know Dobermans know what the real
story is. As far as criticism from others, you can't fix stupid so just ignore them.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
some people are uneducated *******s! tell them if they don't want to see ears taped to shove their stupid heads back up their ass!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I had a lady yell at me from a open car window, she yelled that people were ass's for cropping. At first I didn't understand her and just ignored her and when I finally figured out what she said I just laughed at how stupid she made herself look.

I received less attacks than I thought I would, a have had a lot of people approach me and say how handsome he was. The majority of people asked what was wrong with his ears and I gave them a little bit of education and they were like ahhh I didn't know that.

Odin is almost 9 months and so far I have only had 2 people say something to my face. 1st was the lady in the car and the other lady was when I was at a park and when I told her I got him from a breeder because he is show and then she redirected her negativity at the breed standard.

All you can do is ignore the people that make those statements because those are the people you wont change their mind or open up their mind for you to even educate them. You will simply be talking to a wall. They want to be selfish and make their opinion heard.

All you can do is educate the people that are willing to listen.

Reactions: Instant Noodle

·
Registered
939 Posts
I received less attacks than I thought I would, a have had a lot of people approach me and say how handsome he was. The majority of people asked what was wrong with his ears and I gave them a little bit of education and they were like ahhh I didn't know that.
This has been my experience. I've only had one person be an arse about it, and I threw it right back. You know what they say about opinions right? They're like ***holes, everyone has one...

I guess we just have to come to terms with our beloved breed being somewhat controversial to own, and roll with the ups and downs.. and educate whenever presented an opportunity!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts