Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooooooo, Wonderman has bumps on his withers, a few on his flanks, and a few on his nubby. I can't tell whether it's Staph bumps or insect bites or anything, any ideas? Can I use something topical or do we need to go the antibiotic route? Tea tree oil maybe?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Poor little guy and worried mommy. I don't know what it could be. Cleo and Mansen would get spots like that often and my vet called it a skin infection (mostly Cleo while Mansen would get hot spots occasionally). She would usually take a round of antibiotics and it would clear quickly with the fur growing back pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Petey had them too on his head and nub when I picked him up....I think it was from the rack and other puppies in his litter chewing on him.

Carol

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Can't really tell from the photo. But from what I can see, it looks like staph. I heard that you can treat it with Tea Tree Oil, but I would take him to the vet. I only say that because Cole once had a really bad infection that took weeks of antibiotics to clear up.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Wow....maybe that is what Petey had too? He had the bumps on his head for a while...he did see my vet during that time, several times, and he said nothing about it!

Carol

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Personally, I would take him to get it looked at. It could be a staph infection that would need antibiotics to clear up. It is always safe to have have your dogs looked at, especially if it is spread throughout.

I use tea tree on my dogs. It is in a leave-in conditioner that I put on them. I do not put on pure tea tree oil. If I understand correctly, some dogs do have reactions to tea tree oil, especially the pure oil. Some breeds it is not good for. If I had an outbreak that was not local, I would take them to the vet for antibiotics. The tea tree oil has never cleared it up in my experience. Usually the infection was just too wide spread. JMHO.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I do not put on pure tea tree oil. If I understand correctly, some dogs do have reactions to tea tree oil, especially the pure oil. QUOTE]

This is what I've always read as well. Additionally, tea tree oil isn't recommended for young children-so I sure wouldn't be putting it on a puppy, seems like that would increase the chances of a bad reaction.

It's never a bad idea to take a dog to the vet..luckily, my vet doesn't like giving small puppies antibiotics anymore than I do. I don't know that I'd consider a minor case of puppy staph (if that's what it is) grounds to do that.

When Razzle had a minor case of puppy staph, I gave her Kyolic garlic twice a day for about a month..within a couple of days the bumps were gone.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Took him to the vet today and he agreed that it was staph. He's got it pretty decently on his withers, a few on his thighs, and the ones you saw on the nubby. He also has puppy chin acne. (Bowl is metal, promise.) He gave me a course of cephalexin, but now I'm not so sure I want to give it. What is the deal with puppies and antibiotics? I know baytril is bad for young'uns, but I thought cepha was pretty mild.

MurreyDobe, where did you get that garlic?

He also had some yellow goopies going on from his right eye, so the vet thought the cepha was a good plan.

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
It's never a bad idea to take a dog to the vet..luckily, my vet doesn't like giving small puppies antibiotics anymore than I do. I don't know that I'd consider a minor case of puppy staph (if that's what it is) grounds to do that.

When Razzle had a minor case of puppy staph, I gave her Kyolic garlic twice a day for about a month..within a couple of days the bumps were gone.

Is acne similar to staph? I know they are both bacterial.

I've had Nike to the vet a few times for her chin acne and it has never really completely cleared even with medicine. Now I am noticing similar crusty 'bumps' on only one side of her neck, which I originally thought was from our other dog biting her there. The vet never seems too concerned and keeps telling me "keep wiping the areas and keep an eye on it".

My question is, Can I use the Kyotic garlic if it is acne and what dosage?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think chin acne can be helped by using all metal bowls, wiping after eating and applying cider vinegar to the chin. I like using witch hazel for that personally. Someone once suggested putting some ACV in their water because they dip their chins in when they drink, I can't remember who though.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Took him to the vet today and he agreed that it was staph. He's got it pretty decently on his withers, a few on his thighs, and the ones you saw on the nubby. He also has puppy chin acne. (Bowl is metal, promise.) He gave me a course of cephalexin, but now I'm not so sure I want to give it. What is the deal with puppies and antibiotics? I know baytril is bad for young'uns, but I thought cepha was pretty mild.

MurreyDobe, where did you get that garlic?

He also had some yellow goopies going on from his right eye, so the vet thought the cepha was a good plan.
If your vet thinks he needs to be on cephalexin, then I'd give it to him. There certainly are times puppies NEED to be on antibiotics, and I wouldn't want to give anyone the impression of anything different.

For the most part, I try to avoid doing that as much as possible-I don't think it's good to slam an immature and/or weak immune system with abx unless it's really necessary.

My local grocery store has Kyolic garlic in the supplement/vitamin section. I'm sure you could also find it in GNC's or similiar stores, and definitely online.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
My question is, Can I use the Kyotic garlic if it is acne and what dosage?

Thanks.
I don't know, never used it for that. If I'm remembering correctly, Razzle at around 30 lbs. got 1 tablet in her food twice a day for the puppy staph. As I said, the bumps disappeared within a couple of days, but I was advised to keep her on it for at least a month.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is the garlic dosage per lb?

I'm not one to disregard veterinary advice, but I don't like the idea of messing with his developing immune system. Can treating with abx now increase the chance of staph in the future? My vet is awesome, but he is of the older school of thought on vax, nutrition and immunity. He's fantastic for everything else veterinary, but i'd like to try a more holistic route if possible. I'll keep the ceph on hand if I don't think the garlic is doing it for him. Will this help with fleas too?

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball helps w/ chin acne as well, esp not as painful if any of the bumps have popped/bled. I am beginning to think that the acne is worse when Java has been chewing on her Nyla bones, which should probably go through the dishwasher more frequently than they do to keep them clean.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
What is the garlic dosage per lb?

I'm not one to disregard veterinary advice, but I don't like the idea of messing with his developing immune system. Can treating with abx now increase the chance of staph in the future? My vet is awesome, but he is of the older school of thought on vax, nutrition and immunity. He's fantastic for everything else veterinary, but i'd like to try a more holistic route if possible. I'll keep the ceph on hand if I don't think the garlic is doing it for him. Will this help with fleas too?
I would give the antibiotic. You don't want that infection to spread. You want to nip it in the bud asap.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Coming from a dog that lives on antibiotics for his recurrent staph infections (I LOVE MY BLUE I LOVE MY BLUE), I'd give them. The longer the staph infection is present, the harder it will be to clear and you run the chance of it becoming a deep pyoderma (and then you are in Rah's situation - Rah is on 6-8 week courses of antibiotics routinely, gets a few weeks off, and if it doesn't recur we pulse therapy him, but if he is CLINICAL for it, he goes on 1-2 month courses). Rah's currently 9 days into a course of marbofloxacin, and I am sure he will be on that for at least a month - that's why Rah routinely has a bald spot on his thigh - he gets staph bumps there and he chews it to death.

A few bumps here and there I won't worry about and may give the owner some shampoo - but if I find the bumps in multiple places on the body, or the animal is starting to chew and lose fur, antibiotics are the easiest and safest way to clean it up. Cephalexin won't hurt a growing puppy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Riley has had an ongoing problem with Staph. She has recently completed two tours of treatment, the first was 4 weeks... a break... more Staph.. then another 2 week treatment with Cephalexin (or however it's spelled).

She still appears to be having more Staph and will likely need to return to more anti-biotic treatment.

I would like to know if there's a source somehow that she's coming into contact with.. or if red dobes are just more susceptible to this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts