Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five cops savaged by mad pitbull | The Sun |News

This article was in the UK papers today about Pitbull-Doberman cross that went loopy and attacked the police as they were making an arrest. The thing that really cheesed me off is that they just had to put down it was a crossed with a Doberman. I mean its bad enough it being a Pitbull but they had to throw in the "dreaded Doberman". Cheeses me right off! You can guarantee that if it was Pitbull-poodle cross they wouldn't of even mentioned it!

Just proves don't really understand the breed like us owners do! I also feel like they paint the dog in such bad light all the time when this happens, when all the blame should be pointed towards the stupid owner! Rant over...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Not sure what to think on this one. They knocked down the door and the dog protected it's home and owner is what it sounds like ????They charged the owner with a dangerous dog outside the home.The cops let the dog out didn't they. I'm not saying the owner shouldn't have called the dog off or been in control but wth?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think part of the issue is the fact that pitbull's are a banned breed in the UK under the dangerous dogs act! So even if the dog was totally mellow it would of been taken and destroyed. But I agree that you can't blame a dog for defending its territory!

·
Registered
382 Posts
A dog charging or protecting its owner when the door is broken down is one thing. Allowing that dog to maul 3 cops is quite another. I don't care what the breed is, that is completely unnacceptable. The article didn't say anything bad about pits or dobermans, just stated the breed. Notice how the owner is nowhere to be found in the video...just the cops and a few neighbours. Do cops in the UK not carry guns? I'm surprised no one shot the dog sooner...also surprised that no one would come out of hiding to help the poor guy who was getting attacked.

I do disagree with the article posting the face of an innocent pit, but really, are you surprised?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Cops in the UK apparently do not carry guns. This was discussed on another list I'm on.

And I agree, there is a huge difference between guarding/mauling!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No the uk has what they call armed response teams who carry firearms and they have to be specifically called in, which they did, but too late to stop 5 guys getting injuries! I agree with the lack of help offered. I wouldn't of been able to stand by and watch the poor man when he was screaming in pain!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
No the uk has what they call armed response teams who carry firearms and they have to be specifically called in, which they did, but too late to stop 5 guys getting injuries! I agree with the lack of help offered. I wouldn't of been able to stand by and watch the poor man when he was screaming in pain!
I knew about not carrying a gun, but they do have a baton. Do they carry a stun gun or maze?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
It sounds awful no matter how you slice it. I too am surprised that nobody thought to beat the dog off with the baton. Those things are made of heavy metal. Enough to kill a dog I would have thought. I don't know though as I have never been in that situation.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Watching the video I think it's a shame that officers who DON'T carry a gun aren't trained in dog attacks.... Actually ALL officers world wide should be trained in dog body language, how to remove a dog and stop a dog bite etc.... Dogs will protect their family/property, they shouldn't be punished for what they do naturally.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Not sure what to think on this one. They knocked down the door and the dog protected it's home and owner is what it sounds like ????They charged the owner with a dangerous dog outside the home.The cops let the dog out didn't they. I'm not saying the owner shouldn't have called the dog off or been in control but wth?
^^^^ +1 - The video is not very clear, so I will attemt to put my opinion on this unfortunate (out-of-control) incident:
- and I don't even know if the owner of the dog, was even home

First of all, I hope Canada never gets so lame as England/UK and de-arms our police force...of pistols.
What did they expect to happen, right or wrong...police did kicked the front door of the house in ??
Probably not knowing what was locked inside, but its not the dogs fault.

Now the first police officer is being bitten/mauled bad...and his coworkers are running down the street...to keep the neighbors safe initially.
WTF is this...not helping your officer ASAP...crying in severe pain !!
Dog guarding masters property, is not hurting the neighbors, but is smart enough to attack the "5 stugges" with their serve & protect uniforms on.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Regarding mentioning a possible doberman mix... So what? They could have just said it was thought to be a Doberman-cross. Why'd they have to say Pitbull?

Same argument.

Or, they could have just said: Mix-breed or Mutt. Since they admittedly DON'T REALLY KNOW THE MIX, only what its "thought to be". But that wouldn't sell papers.

(That being said, I don't think either possible mix needs to be mentioned unless its a verified fact, otherwise its speculation for the purpose of sensationalist paper sales. The way the press works, you'd think the only mix breeds in existence were pit, rottie and dobe mixes).

And of course, its being chalked up to the "fierce breeds" and not "The dog responded to a perceived threat to their family when cops, which a dog can not really identify as a non-threat, came bashing in through the front door." A dog, I might add, that the local officials were apparently AWARE OF IT BEING A VICIOUS DOG and who did nothing about it when it attacked a cyclist the year prior?

This is why BSL is useless. If you ban breeds, but do nothing about the dogs you KNOW are dangerous... What sense does that make? So England bans pit bulls and then shrugs its shoulders when a dog mauls a cyclist... And then only take issue with the same dog when it tears up five cops. Seriously?

If they had done their job the year prior and not just said "Well, no ones home..." This wouldn't have happened. If they checked records against the residents... They'd know "Hmmm, vicious dog... Might want to take that into consideration..." But nope...

Grrr....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I knew about not carrying a gun, but they do have a baton. Do they carry a stun gun or maze?
Only certain Police are trained to carry tasers in the UK but I think they are planning on making them common practice to be carried by all! Otherwise it's just a baton and CS gas(not quite maze) but I am pretty sure that doesn't effect dogs because of the police dogs! So apart from a baton they are defenceless against something like this!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
How awful, but am I suprised, erm no.

Firstly, 5 men break down the door to his home, the dog doesnt know they were police officers, only that his home was being invaded. Can you imagine the scenario if they had been gangsters. Heroic pooch fights off thugs. Oh the paper sales. Kaching, kaching, you can just see the money rolling in, though not as much as this story will I grant you.

Secondly, or should this be the first item, not sure. The Sun Newspaper is owned by Mr Sleaze himself Mr Rupert Murdoch (News International) he has no interest in the truth and so if the mix of the dog can be sensationalised then he will do it just to sell his dirty rags he calls newspapers.

Thirdly, I would like to say, try breaking down the door to my house (anyone) and see what you will get, firstly you would have to answer to the wrong end of my 2 Terriers followed by my Dobe. Always assuming I wasnt in that is.

As for the officers requiring training in dog attack, well might I just say.

Rule 1. Make sure there isn't a dog inside the house you are breaking into first, get intel if at all possible.
Rule 2. When fellow officer is being attacked, do not jump around and use the excuse of telling general public to stay indoors but get in there to pull dog off by grabbing back legs and swinging it around. (if this was a Pitt mix use truncheon/baton as bite stick).
Rule 3. Do not run around with dog attached to ones arm or the like as this actually is liable to escalate the attack, after all the thing about prey drive is, is running around actually increases it (in my opinion).

I would like to say I am sorry that the officers were bitten and I hope they all make a speedy recovery. Followed by, I am equally sorry for the dog. He didnt deserve to die, the officers should have been better prepared for the potentiality of dogs being on the premises and should have taken precautions to avoid any potential incident of this ilk. Saying that, once a dog has bitten a human in the UK they are automatically put to sleep. But as for it taking 4 shots to dispatch this poor dog, Jesus in a hand basket, get a grip officers, one shot should have been enough. YOU NEED MORE PRACTICE.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Is that true regardless of the circumstances? Such as defense of the owner or a break in?
Its extremely rare for them not to be! The dog is never given a chance, which in my opinion is totally unfair on the animal! But if a dog mauls a human they tend to be put down, then the owner can also be penalised for having such a "vicious" dog. Its total and utter pants. I would be distraught if I had to have Odin put down because someone intruded on his territory and he defended it!

Although I did read an article once where a Rottie was commended on its actions. It heard a woman scream and ran straight towards it. Turns out this woman was being attacked by a man in a park and the Rottie chased him off, then circled the attacked woman and her owner until the Police turned up. But you never hear about these cases very often.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Years ago in the UK any dog that bit had one chance before it was put to sleep.Nowadays it doesnt matter if the dogs are protecting their owner or home it is classed as the villain and that is that.
Spain used to give the benefit of the doubt to a dog in bite cases (unless it was obviously an unprovoked attack) but unfortunately the police (in the area I live in at least) have all had their brains removed and now just shoot the dog no matter what the circumstances are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts