Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Jersey Girl has anaplasmosis (tick borne like lymes). The vet prescribed the upper dose (10 mg / kg) of doxycycline 1 X day. All that I've read says 5 mg to 10 mg/ kg 2 times a day. I called the vet the first day to confirm that she meant us to give her the whole dose at once, once a day and the girl called back to the vet and confirmed. However, I'm calling again in the AM.

My question is... has anyone been through this? Are there any follow up tests I should ask for? And of course... do you recall what treatment plan you followed.... LOL... I know, who remembers? But I gotta ask....

And now for the public service announcement... if you live in the NE USA or upper midwest, and your dog loses his or her appetite, or has the runs, ....or spits up bile....or coughs on her walk ... AND is not being her velcro dobe self but stays on her bed.... please don't wait for joint pain to show up... go get the blood test for lymes and anaplasmosis just to be safe. Better silly than sorry! A woman at the dog park gave me this advice and I'm so glad I followed it. We think we caught this in the first two weeks.

Fingers and paws crossed for a quick recovery... My girl passed up steak this weekend! That CAN'T be good!

Amy & Jersey

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I have typically used upper end of the dose (BID) for 30 days. Many dogs also need/benefit from a low dose of prednisone (depending on the degree of thrombocytopenia, anemia, etc.).

10 mg/kg SID (once daily) dosing is also documented in several sources. We see a fair amount of anaplasma (and often concurrent lyme) here in the midwest. Degree of illness is also taken into consideration when determining how to treat.

ETA:
https://www.idexxlearningcenter.com...naplasmosis_and_Ehrlichiosis_Webinar_FAQs.pdf

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RedDobes... Thanks for that quick reply. My vet said I could divide it or give it all at once. I was still sceptical until I got home and saw your post. The link is great and I think I'll go with my vet's recommendation knowing that I can request a platelet test after the 30 day trial so that I'll have some idea if the treatment was successful. And it's entirely possible that since no lameness, fever or joint pain had developed, that she opted for the 1 x a day to be conservative. After 15 years going to this same vet, I do know that she'll be conservative in treatment within reason.

anyway... just wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your post.

And Jersey finally ate her dinner today. Whoo hoo for that.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jersey is back to her old self for the last 2 days, so I'm thinking very positive. She picked up the tick in the yard darn it... since we don't hike in late July & August... TOO HOT.

Isn't that the way? Just when you think you're safe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts