Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As you know, Hercules has been sent to training school. According to the plan, he will be back by the end of this month. But I just got a call from his trainer this morning, he told me everything was ok except the thing that Hercules couldn't bite. He said Hercules was too gentle to do so. He wanted Hercules to stay there for 10 days more to finish the lesson.

I'm thinking about taking Hercules home without learning that lesson.

Sweet Hercules.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
well, besides the fact tha ti would never send my dog away for 3 months for a total stranger to train him - what exactly are they supposed to be training him to do?
i am assuming they are training him in some sort of bite sport, if biting was involved.

needless to say, i would have pulled him out of there months ago (or never sent him), so my vote is to bring him home now.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Talk about ironic... I have a pup that I'm doing everything I can to calm down so she won't bite and you have one that refuses to! My vote is to bring Herc home now. He's a pet, right? Why would you want him to bite anyway? Is he being trained to maybe compete in Schutzhund? I would imagine that even with that sport the training is half the fun of the competition... I mean how much pride can you take in a dog that competes in obedience sports if you didn't do the training yourself?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Pippin said:
3 months.
Holy cow! I don't agree with sending a dog away to be trained. 3 months? No way!
I would never let anyone teach my dog to bite without careful consideration. I would want to talk to and see more than one dog he had trained. Even if I agreed to let him teach my dog to bite I would NEVER allow it to be done without my supervision.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Well, are you planning on competing with him in a bite sport? If the trainer just wishes for him to learn how to bite to "make him a well rounded doberman that has learned to protect you if need be", then I'd definetely bring him home as he doesn't need training to do that.

Are you allowed to visit him? I wouldn't keep my dog (or horse actually, this is why I've pulled horses out of trainers barns) anywhere if I wasn't allowed to visit at any time I pleased.

It's was your choice so I won't push negativity one way or another but to say, If it's training that you want for him, have you considered maybe working things out with this trainer or finding another that could work with you on HOW to train him, that way Hercules bonds with you and you do all the work. It can be hard work to train (more frustrating than hard) but the rewards are limitless with just some patience!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts