Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cousin who feeds her boxer Solid Gold WolfKing food. She didn't have any bags on the recall list but she emailed them to see if they were going to continue to have any foods manufactured by Diamond because she had read about the violations at the Gaston plant. They told her that they terminated their contract with Diamond in April. They also told her that any bags that were left that we're manufactured at that plant would have an "x" as the eleventh digit of the lot code. This is just an FYI for anyone who feeds Solid Gold.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Do you believe them? I'm just starting to doubt the whole dog food industry...

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You would think when feeding highend foods (for what they cost) that these companies would make sure how their foods are made and the amount of money they make.
This is where the power of the consumer comes in. As in boycott their foods.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Started the switch to Acana today. I talked with the owner of the local hollistic dog food store. He told me he had to throw away over 50% of his TOTW stock. I am in Kansas to, one of the states said not to have a problem with it. I fear this food has made it everywhere by now.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you believe them? I'm just starting to doubt the whole dog food industry...
I don't know if I do or not, but my cousin has tried many different foods and apparently her boxer does the best on Solid Gold. I know for sure she has tried Orijen, Nature's Variety, Acana, and Innova. I'm sure every company has its flaws just like in the human food industry. We just have to do what we feel is best and hope for the best. She said that she knew that the recalled Solid Gold food didn't test positive for salmonella. The guy that owns the store where she gets her food told her that I think. I know he told her this was the first recall Solid Gold has ever had. I don't know whether that is true or not. She didn't have any bags that were recalled anyway so she's not to worried and her vet told her that typically healthy dogs don't have a problem with salmonella. I know that humans have gotten sick from handling the recalled food though. Hopefully this will be a huge wake up call for companies to pay attention and run their facilities better, but there have been so many recalls over the past few years so who knows?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Started the switch to Acana today. I talked with the owner of the local hollistic dog food store. He told me he had to throw away over 50% of his TOTW stock. I am in Kansas to, one of the states said not to have a problem with it. I fear this food has made it everywhere by now.
I really like Acana Pacifica. I mix yogurt with one meal each day and seems to keep away gas plus they love it. Be sure to keep the gpc codes because you can get a free bag for each 11 or 12 bags purchased.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I really like Acana Pacifica. I mix yogurt with one meal each day and seems to keep away gas plus they love it. Be sure to keep the gpc codes because you can get a free bag for each 11 or 12 bags purchased.[/QUOTE

Acana Pacific is what we are switching to right now. I talked with the Acana rep while I was there, she recommending switching flavors every now and then. I felt kind of hesitant considering the Grasslands version contains chicken, and the red meat flavor contains lamb. Maybe I have been told wrong but dont dobes not react well with warm meats like lamb and chicken?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Acana Pacific is what we are switching to right now. I talked with the Acana rep while I was there, she recommending switching flavors every now and then. I felt kind of hesitant considering the Grasslands version contains chicken, and the red meat flavor contains lamb. Maybe I have been told wrong but dont dobes not react well with warm meats like lamb and chicken?[/QUOTE]

I don't know about their reaction to warm meats. Mine do not like chicken (unless it's raw chicken wings or straight chicken meat) as well as the fish so that's where we've been for six months or so. I used to feed Orijen 6 Fish but it could be hard to get plus they were so gassy on it that we switched to Acana.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Maybe I have been told wrong but dont dobes not react well with warm meats like lamb and chicken?
This is something that would be individual to the dog, not the breed as a whole. If this was true no one on here would feed lamb or chicken.

My dobe didnt do well on red meats so his diet was all chicken, turkey, fishes

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I have fed Fiona Acana and Orijen for a little over 2 years now and Tali was switched to it when she came to me, too (2 years ago). I have never had an issue with Acana or Orijen. Good stools, nice coats, good energy, and they both LOVE it. I know not every food will work with every dog but I've been really happy with the results of Acana and Orijen. I can rotate through formulas of each brand and my girls don't miss a beat - even Miss Super Sensitive Tummy, Fiona.

I know Diamond foods have worked for a lot of other dogs but my girls both always had really crappy coats and super itchy skin on Diamond foods, and Fiona couldn't have a solid poo to save her life.

Acana and Orijen may not work for your dogs, but if anyone is looking to switch from Diamond foods let me be the first to recommend you give Acana and/or Orijen a try.

ETA...And no, I don't work for the company. LOL Just a convinced consumer. :)

Reactions: mythikl

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
This is something that would be individual to the dog, not the breed as a whole. If this was true no one on here would feed lamb or chicken.

My dobe didnt do well on red meats so his diet was all chicken, turkey, fishes
Chicken is usually my first choice as a protein source in kibble for my dogs.

·
Banned
422 Posts
I would love to try the Orijen, but for 90 dollars a bag I will stick to Acana. I think the only difference being that Orijen is a higher protein food. So far they freakin love the Acana over TOTW. Im just happy to find something they enjoy eating.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Highly impressed with Acana. My 3 have been on it for over a year. I rotate the different proteins each month. No issues.

I did just switch prime to raw just to try it, but the others will stay on Acana.

I personally stay far away from any company that deals with diamond. There are plenty of other brands out there to choose from rather than settling on a food that's manufactures by that crappy company.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
I would love to try the Orijen, but for 90 dollars a bag I will stick to Acana. I think the only difference being that Orijen is a higher protein food. So far they freakin love the Acana over TOTW. Im just happy to find something they enjoy eating.
You can get Orijen from MrChewy.com for $65 a bag and free shipping.

Both of my dogs are back on Orijen now and we're very happy with it.

Reactions: mythikl

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Exactly which Orijen formulas are you getting from Mr Chewy for $65 a bag?

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Exactly which Orijen formulas are you getting from Mr Chewy for $65 a bag?
I guess it's $68, not $65. That's the regular adult formula.

Edited to add: the large breed and regular puppy formulas are about the same cost, as is the senior. The regional red and six fish are quite a bit more (which is the same as in-store).

Reactions: LindaH

·
Banned
422 Posts
I guess it's $68, not $65. That's the regular adult formula.

Edited to add: the large breed and regular puppy formulas are about the same cost, as is the senior. The regional red and six fish are quite a bit more (which is the same as in-store).
I think I will stick with Acana, the protein level seems low enough where I (hopefully) wont have to deal with gas, and the squirts. Besides the fact that Orijen is way to expensive for my shallow pockets. Seems like Acana is still a very high quality food. Still expensive, just not as bad as Orijen.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Meadow Cat, I wasnt challenging you, in case you thought that. I guess I need to check the prices again. It may be the ingredients that kept me from another formula with Parker. I have only caught the 6fish cheaper than $83 once, dangit, but I'll recheck the other formulas to see if Parker can have them.

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
Meadow Cat, I wasnt challenging you, in case you thought that. I guess I need to check the prices again. It may be the ingredients that kept me from another formula with Parker. I have only caught the 6fish cheaper than $83 once, dangit, but I'll recheck the other formulas to see if Parker can have them.
Nope, not at all. No worries! :)

Reactions: LindaH

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Hey MC, you feeding Orijen to Simon then also? I was under the impression it was too rich for senior dogs, so I haven't tried it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts