Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Amy's Dad has been working with a close carpenter friend, to fix up our 1960's brick bunglow, adding many custom features to make retirement, a little nicer.

We currently live in the city, in a 2 story post WWII home, that we have owned for nearly 30 years...to be honest, the upstair bedroom and upstair only bathroom and laundry facilities in the basement, is getting stale...fast now.
Also, Amy is 11.4 years old now, and her hind quarters are getting stiff...she doesn't enjoy climbing the steps any longer at night...to snuggle with mom & dad...but with coaxing recently, she manages to make the climb.
If I left her to sleep overnight on the leather couch...the cry whining starts less then one minute, after the lights go out...lol.

I take Amy out to the job site often...weather permitting (she gets mad if I have leave her, at our main home)
If the weather isn't nice enough, she will gladly rest in my 4x4 truck, until I am done working.
But yesterday was a gorgeous day, let Amy out of my truck, to explore the 1.15 acres.
(commercial property,that boarders on the local airport, just outside the city limits)
She found a nice shady spot, laying on the grass, beside a tree.

Once in a while, Amy would check in on Dad & carpenter working....and even came in the front open door...with a 12" Dewalt radial arm saw running...noise did not affect her.
Maybe the saw noise concerned her, and she entered the house to see if dad was OK...then she walked around the kitchen & living room and back outside again...to lay in the shade.

Well we started later in the afternoon, and we needed a quick bite for supper.
I locked Amy in the house (behind the front door) vs. getting out the truck ramp and putting her in my 4x4 pickup.
The carpenter and I go for a quick sub and head back to the job site...we were gone for maybe a 1/2 an hour, at most.
We pull in the driveway, and Amy is lying on the cement patio, 6 feet from the front door...but I locked her behind the front door, just earlier...I thought.

I said to my carpenter "how and the frig, did Amy get out of the locked house"?
Then I remembered, that I had left the one rear door open earlier, to vent the place out.
So for the 1/2 hour we had driven up the road to eat and left her behind, with no furniture to rest on...she took it upon herself, to search and explore the house out...and was happy to escape and wait patiently outside...for Dad's return.

She escaped through the open rear sunroom door (after a big snoop) and went back to the front door, where I had locked her behind, when I left her.
From her now outside vantage point, she could constantly watch the house, driveway and roadway, for our return.
(inside the living room is a 10 ft. sheet of drywall, resting against the front window...which would obstruct her view, of the driveway traffic)
I was so proud, of my old girl...I walked up the cement porch and Amy was so pleased to see me...then I released her, to find her shady spot, once again...and praised her dearly, for being a good girl...and find a clever way, to watch for her Dad's safe return.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks gals & guys...Amy has always watched her Dad...I call her my "hawk eyes"...LOL

Last year I was at my buddy's 64 acre farm, after she had got to know his 4 dogs and scouted around behind the barn, checket out the cows, caged chicken & turkeys, played with his dogs, etc...we chatted about 40 minutes, out in the cow field and then when it was time to go home...I got thinking, better find Amy...but she won't be too far away.

So I walk up to the house, and their is Amy lying behind his Kubota tractor.
She had positioned herself (half way) to watch the farm gate , where I would be coming through eventually, and with a clear view of my Chev. 3/4 ton truck...that I would be headed to.
Amy could see both hot spots, from resting on the farmers lawn (in front of the barn) and just waiting for the time when dad was leaving, my friends place. Amy always knows my general vacinity and the location of my pickup...because I am not driving home without my girl & best buddy...she knows.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Theres nothing better than old dogs. They just have something special about them :)

Doberkisses and nose pokies to Amy and dad!

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
I have seen acupuncture do amazing things for that rear end stiffness in older dogs.

Dasuquin, too, makes a visible difference, presuming arthritis is not so advanced that there is no cartilage left to rebuild.

And I agree with longshot4me; gotta love our venerable veteran dogs! So wise (and clever), so sweet!

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ThkU GrdnDelite...wife will look at your gread suggestion tonight / we need all the help we can get...just last night, almost impossible to get Amy upstairs to our bed...and she got up early in the morning, for a pee...wife slept with her on the couch for a 1/2 hour...as Amy wouldn't climb the steps...sadly 1st time....we know she is getting OLD...just hard, and we don't want to accept the future choices..

BTW - Amy had acupuncture at the vets, last week...plus an alignment.

I have seen acupuncture do amazing things for that rear end stiffness in older dogs.

Dasuquin, too, makes a visible difference, presuming arthritis is not so advanced that there is no cartilage left to rebuild.

And I agree with longshot4me; gotta love our venerable veteran dogs! So wise (and clever), so sweet!
Thanks sooooo much DT friends...Amy is truly, a LOYAL friend...and best of all, a most "loving family dobe".

So like most days, I'm out at the reno. retirement home reconstruction...owned for several years and rented 2x...to say it was less than perfect is an under-statement...but sitting on a chunk of land, that spells location/location/location.
- but when your always waiting for a rent check, fixing up the place & investing good money ($$) on pack rats (once they move in) is a 1 out of 10, on my wish list.

So now its our place & future family home, last couple (and I say it loosly) moved out...since then I have been gutting the house to the bare floors...and building upward.
Only thing I left was the original plaster walls & windows...I am a lover of these walls, prior to the invention of drywall.
From being a self taught bodyman, sheetmetal welder & fairly good untrained car painter...fixing plaster cracks (with the method I developed) is a piece of cake now.
Once I rebuild a plaster wall, and butt conventional drywall to it, use fibre glass tape, mud with 2 coats of non-sandable Durabond 90, etc...then paint with oil base enamel "egg shell"...20 years later, my walls still look like new, with zero cracks...while perfectly straight.
- I have been a perfectionest (since a teenager, I think) and I like to work methodical (aka slow & calculating) with a one hand picked craftsman...work to my building standards and expectations / even though my hobby love is muscle cars and schooled in Engineering Technology.

So selling our modest house of 30 years, that we have outgrown...this retirement project is over budjet and over most normal peoples timetables (off schedule)...but I will only live once & really don't care...it will be fixed for my wife and Amy's comfort, as a labor of love...that Amy's mom can be very proud of in the end...b/c she has worked hard all her life.

So one of the comfort changes I made was plumbing & electrical changes into the sunroom, to get the washer & dryer in the sunroom & out of the basement.
The new surprise I am working on now, is moving the putting up a brick mantel and TV component nook, after moving the dividing wall between the kitchen (which was too wide) and the living room (which was to narrow).
Removing a 10 ft. dividing wall and reconstructing it 2 feet closer to the kitchen...allowed us to clean up the old electrical sins and improve it while bringing everything up to code.
So the new wall with slate brick bottom, will hold a TV entertainment center with a new 52" Sharp flat screen overtop.

Today accessing the work, I am now surprising the wife, with a mini. brick wall at the end of the hallway...leading to the one washroom and 3 bedroom doors - 15 years ago, the wife let me buy a mint antique long nose Northern crank telephone with pedistal base...never had a perfect spot, for it before.
It is going out to the job site on Monday, and incorporated in the custom designs...just have to pull the old "long snoot cranker phone" out of my garage attic.
Stay tuned gang...more "stories to come"....He-He.

P.S. - Well today, I asked Amy if she wanted outside my truck...and she made NO movement to get out & run around the property.
Probably yesterday, she wanted out of my pickup, because the hired man, was there...needed to check him out some.

Since she was little...instead of ordering or commanding Amy, to do some things...I just ask her politely (with a question), and she has her own way of telegraphing her clear decision to Dad, which keeps her most happy...in the moment...LOL..just the way she likes it.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
It's just not ever easy to watch our loyal companions age.

Hubby carried Soda pup-pup up the stairs for months until we were able to be out of Ohio and back into a single story home. She could get downstairs okay, but upstairs was too hard for her, much as she enjoyed looking out the second story windows.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, last night Amy refused to make the step climb upstairs, to bed...she just sat on the landing...and looked up at Dad, like "do I have too".
So Amy and Dad slept on the couch, last night.

Yesterday, my wife got the good idea, to scrap our old leather couch, and bring up the nice futon out of the basement...which no longer use, because Amy doesn't want to tackle those flight of stairs either....so we no longer watch TV in the reck room.

So the futon will be disassembled to get it out of the basement (and around the corners) and will replace the tired couch...on the main floor living room, this week.
- my carpenter coming to work on the country home reno, on Tuesday...and we will tackle the futon move first and scrap the old leather couch

I felt like a bag of crap (just waking up), from trying to fall asleep on the couch last night.
Amy on the other end, thought she went to a "summer camp sleep out", and is all perky, first thing, this fine morning.
- I'm glad one of us, got our beauty sleep...LOL...just like a new girl, right now

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Thanks GrdnDelite, for the "joint supplement tip".
- I am ordering it tomorrow (sure looks awesome), for Amy...the following was the best deal, we found

Dasuquin® for Large Dogs (150 Tabs)
DASL150 Regular price: $81.99 Sale price: $68.99

Dasuquin Joint Supplement for Large Dogs 60 lbs. and over (150 Tabs) is a nutritional supplement that contains proprietary ingredients that go beyond other supplements with glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate to maintain healthy joints.

We have combined over ten years of clinical use and research on our joint health supplement Cosequin with our research in advanced joint health ingredients in developing Dasuquin , a cost-effective formulation for dogs, available only through your veterinarian.

Dasuquin combines NMX1000 *ASU (avocado/soybean unsaponifiables) and decaffeinated tea with Cosequin's FCHG49 *glucosamine hydrochloride and TRH122 *low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate to provide the most comprehensive joint health management formula available for dogs.

Dasuquin is a dual synergistic formula: its specific glucosamine hydrochloride and low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate have demonstrated synergy in stimulating cartilage production, 1 while ASU also acts synergistically with glucosamine.

Active Ingredients
Dasuquin for Large Dogs (60 lbs and over):
Active Ingredients (per chewable tablet) Amount
Glucosamine Hydrochloride* 99% 900 mg †
Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate* (Low Molecular Weight) 350 mg † ¹
Avocado/ Soybean Unsaponifiables* (ASU) Powder 90 mg † ²
Microcrystalline Cellulose
Artificial Roast Beef Flavor
Natural and Artificial Cheese Flavor
Gum Resin
Tea
Dried Brewer's Yeast
Magnesium Stearate
Soy Protein Isolate
Mixed Tocopherols
Natural and Artificial Flavoring
Silicon Dioxide

Dasuqin for Large Dogs (60 lbs and over): For the initial 4 to 6 week administration period give 2 chewable tablets daily. The suggested maintenance level is to give 1 chewable tablet daily.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Great NEWS - Dad and Amy slept on the couch again, for a 2nd night...in a row / we both had a good sleepy, this time.

When Mom got up this Monday morning (to go to work), Amy just easily slid of the sofa end, and DID NOT even limp (headed straight to the kitchen party) - to get her home cooked breakfast - hard to believe, how much previous strain...put on her old bones...trying to concour the 2nd floor stairs nightly.

Well, I just placed my Med's order at:
Dasuquin® for Large Dogs (150 Tabs) / 150 chews for $68.99 USD.
And the phone order service was fantastic...sales agent gave me $20 shipping to Canada, and 2 weeks ago...it was $36.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Beaumont (and anyone else who may be following this), as is so often the case, Amazon has Dasuquin for less.

Today's best price on Amazon, as nearly as I can tell, for the large dog version with MSM, tablets:
Amazon.com: Nutramax Dasuquin with MSM for Dogs Under 60 Pounds - 150 Count: Pet Supplies $59 with free shipping. Amazon says that if you buy from them it's 1 to 3 months for shipping, but mine arrived in 2 days, just like every other thing from Amazon (except the stuff that comes faster).

The dog tablets taste so good that at least some cats will eat them more readily than the cat product. Diva chows hers down as though they were special treats. :)

(I'm pretty sure Amazon is going to take over the world. We're getting a distribution center, even, this coming spring, about 50 miles away.)

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Please be sure to let us know how the Dasuquin works for Amy.

I'm slow to embrace many products, but I am pretty amazed at how much difference the Dasuquin seems to make.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Please be sure to let us know how the Dasuquin works for Amy.

I'm slow to embrace many products, but I am pretty amazed at how much difference the Dasuquin seems to make.
You bet GrdnDelite & thanks again - I will post results, just don't know how long it takes to see improvements...but we will keep a keen eye on Amy, and be sure to share results.
Meds have been shipped out of the USA today.

Just a quick update:
Since sleeping on the couch with Amy, since the weekend, I am happy to say our basement futon (with a decent coil spring mattress) resides in our living room now.
So Dad and Amy gets to sleep on a made-up bed, starting tonight...in the living room.
- one big improvement, for a good nights sleep...I am sure

And a photo of the hickory wide plank flooring, that went in earlier.
- at our country home, under reno...and Amy supervising the floor install...LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 20 of 37 Posts