Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much food a day everyone feeds there dogs.. jack is up to 3 cups a day.. is that a good amount for him or should i give him less or more? and how about when he is full grown i know to feed him 2 times a day then.. but not sure on the amount :| thanks guys.

·
Registered
953 Posts
We feed bruno 3x a day. Morning he gets 1 cup, afternoon he gets 1.5 cups. Then dinner time he gets 1 cup again. We've just been going by the back of the food bag so far. For his weight and age.

But at 4 months we were also only giving him 3 cups. So I really dunno what to tell you lol. But that's how much we feed Bruno.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is a interesting topic =)

My little guy is 12 weeks old this weekend, and I was feeding him about 2 1/2 cups a day, but when I brought him to a local dobie breeder to get his ears Re-Taped the lady almost smacked me in the head for not feeding him enough..lol.

She told me to feed him up too 4 cups a day because he is growing so much at this age,she said that as he gets older (10 months) it will start to slow down.Little do I know I guess, I was reading the back of the food bag also on how much too feed him, and it told me 2 cups.

The lady also said a comment to me..I hope I say this right.

What you put into your dog for the first year, you will get back for the next 10yrs (look&structure)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well so far my boy is looking pretty good and getting huge every day.. i got him altered yesturday :D.. but food wise.. if he could he would eat a whole 20lb bag at one sitting heh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jazzy (7 months tomorrow) weighs 48lbs and the vet said she would like to see her ribs a tiny bit more so I've cut back on her Nutro but she is starving. I get a bit confused with the weight/age chart on the bag as it seems such a big difference inbetween each level !

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Apollo gets two cups dry, about 3/4 cup rice and 3/4 beef 2x a day with some bacon grease thrown in for good measure. we are trying to fatten him up. he was very thin to begin with and then lost weight after his surgery - the antibiotics were hell on his digestive system (and our rug!) he is putting weight back on again, but can still see his rbs. last we checked he was about 62 lbs. so pretty light - even for a smaller sized doberboy.

oh yeah almost forgot. and all the treats he can weasel out of my husband!

cc

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ours gets feed 3 times a day also.. 1 cup in the morning and the split a can of Vegetables. In the afternoon they get 1/2 cup and more vegetables, in the evening 1/2 cup and brewers yeast and garlic.. on all except Iris get 1 cup. She is thin and runs off the weight more than the other dogs. If we are feeding raw in the evenings, the split 1lb of ground meat mixes with the brewers yeast and garlic, fish and vegatables.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, this goes back to a post that was discussed a while back. Raw. Dogs in the wild eat raw meat. So why feed veggies? That isnt something a dog naturally craves.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Dogs in the wild eat raw meat. So why feed veggies? That isnt something a dog naturally craves.
could have fooled me! Duchess loooooves eating the grass...mud...etc...lol haha :)
I don't know how to spell it so I will spell it how it sounds lol which is probably not at all how it is really spelt!...but sometimes my mom will buy *Bachchoy* and Duchess will grab it go sit on the stairs and chew on it like it is a bone lol she loves apples too without the peel...and bananas and alot of other stuff...and of course she loves her raw meat

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno LOVES veggies. He goes crazy for carrots!! lol

Maybe it's just wild dogs aren't really introduced to veggies? lol Who knows. But I do know my doggie loves his veggies :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Same here. Mine are at my feet waiting for leftovers when I am washing lettuce and other veggies. They always get the ends of the lettuce I clean and I haven't found a veggie yet they don't like, although I stay away from onions and garlic, too much is not good for them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie is 2 years old. In the summer she gets 2 cups morning and night. In the winter she gets 2 1/2 - 3 cups morning and night. It's is a little weird but she is a lot more active in the winter, because of the snow and so many snow flakes to catch and so little time. :) She also gets a little pouch in the summer that she runs off about half way through summer. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts