Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the opinion on DCM in regards to the American and Euro lines? Are they both equally effected? I have had two dobermans with many health issues. Going through my boys with one having CAH and DCM and the second now having DCM, I did contemplate changing to another breed. It has been a heart ripping experience, but these dogs have bought so much more to us. Also, I've read the temperament with the European line is sharper.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
What is the opinion on DCM in regards to the American and Euro lines? Are they both equally effected? I have had two dobermans with many health issues. Going through my boys with one having CAH and DCM and the second now having DCM, I did contemplate changing to another breed. It has been a heart ripping experience, but these dogs have bought so much more to us. Also, I've read the temperament with the European line is sharper.
DCM is an equal opportunity killer in this breed, there is no geographic region or bloodline that's spared.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Murreydobe is right, and no matter where in the world your Dobe comes from, make sure they're giving your puppy the best chance by fully health testing the parents- heart tests should be an Echo and Holter, the new DNA test is also a plus but too new at this point to be very accurate. They should also know and be honest about heart issues in the pedigree, any breeder who says their lines don't have those issues is lying.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
My dog is from European lines and I personally have no problem with his temperament. I think it is dependant on the dog and who his relatives are rather than whether he is European versus American.
As for the DCM problem, it does seem to be a bigger problem over the pond than it is here, but then we do not have the facilities (here in Spain at least) to test our dogs as you do in the US, so it may or may not be as prevalent. I think the only way to find out is to contact breeders over here and ask them what health tests they do and work out if it seems a problem or not.

By the way, do you mean you are thinking of actually buying a dog from Europe or simply buying one from the US whose lineage is European. It makes a difference to my mind.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
As for the DCM problem, it does seem to be a bigger problem over the pond than it is here, but then we do not have the facilities (here in Spain at least) to test our dogs as you do in the US, so it may or may not be as prevalent. I
Sam&mack'smom has posted a link to studies done by European cardiologists that list the rate of occurrence of DCM in the dogs in Europe at 58%. That's in the same ballpark as the stats for American dogs. It's every bit as common over there as it is here. I hate to sound snide, but a lot of the Europeans are still trying to hide DCM deaths with ridiculous excuses like "hit by truck", "poisoned" or "bitten by snake". Not saying that never happens here, but I do think there's a lot more honesty about the problem, and which dogs are involved.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can't speek to DCM specifically but there's no way in the world that the dogs in Europe are healthier and live longer than the dogs here. In fact, the health and longevity of the breed in Europe is very poor and they still refuse to acknowledge the severity of the problems they're facing. In fact, it's still very conviently labled an "american problem" by those in positions of leadership within their national club systems.

If health is your number one priority the best place to start is with the DPCA longevity program.

Reactions: jmpick

·
Registered
974 Posts
I cant help but feel that where they come from is irrelevant. Just addressing the issue should be the only thought here. I am not trying to be bitchy even if it comes across that way, but surely that question is like asking do Americans get cancer more then Europeans. Getting a healthy breed is important not which side of the world the dogs lines come from!

That being said, Odin seems to be clear of any heart problems and he is from the Doberman Homeland. The vet always says he has a strong sounding heart, however that doesnt mean that issues wont arise. I just hope, pray and will keep all digits crossed that he never develops it!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Here in Australia, there's a couple of breeding programs that are consistantly getting dogs living past 10 years...and some even getting to 15 years....but these are not DCM free lines....go back far enough and there's almost at least one (and often more) in any pedigree. In lines that seem to ahve a low incidence of DCM...Cancer seems to be more prevalent (perhaps because more dogs live to be older). There's always a risk...but it's worth seeking out the breeding programs that are actively selecting for health and longevity...it gives you a better chance at having a long relationship with your dog...but there are no gaurantees in any line.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Here in Australia, there's a couple of breeding programs that are consistantly getting dogs living past 10 years...and some even getting to 15 years....but these are not DCM free lines....go back far enough and there's almost at least one (and often more) in any pedigree. In lines that seem to ahve a low incidence of DCM...Cancer seems to be more prevalent (perhaps because more dogs live to be older). There's always a risk...but it's worth seeking out the breeding programs that are actively selecting for health and longevity...it gives you a better chance at having a long relationship with your dog...but there are no gaurantees in any line.

DCM came out long enough ago now that it would be extremely hard to find a breeder that has never had an occurrence of it. Its great to hear that breeders over your way are getting dogs that are making it to 15 years, when I go back and read pedigree's I find it upsetting to see just how long our dogs used to live when compared to today.

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
I've got a feeling that our isolation plays a big factor in what dogs are introduced to the lines here....it costs so much that usually a lot of thought and research goes into it. Although...that doesn't stop lousy breeding choices with what's here...and not all importers are as focussed on health and longevity either. But those who are seem to be doing a good job.
We face the same problems as everyone...and the average age is only 8-10 years. :(

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
As I pointed out the facilities to check for DCM (here in my region of Spain at least) are somewhat limited certainly in comparison to the US so perhaps the incidences of DCM are as great here in Europe as they are in the US. And perhaps the incidences are hidden, either through guile or simple ignorance. However, the question of whether the temperament of European can be considered to be sharper than that of his American cousin is I still maintain down to his family tree not simply because he comes from Baden Wurtenberg as opposed to Kansas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts