Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting our first dobe after just losing our border collie. I've met a couple of dobermans that have been so placid and gentle, and that was what has made me fall in love with these gorgeous dogs. After finding a good breeder I have been told that the bitch that's being bred is south American and a bit sharp - this is automatically put sirens off that maybe I shouldn't have litter off this breeder... Does anyone have advice, is it bloodlines? We just want a beautiful, friendly dobe...

SA
Based in Chicago

·
Registered
609 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the dog from S.A. who was said to be sharp. I have read many different things about S.A. lines. My boy is a Trotyl De Black Shadow grandson, who is a very popular S.A. stud. Though a grandparent alone won't greatly affect a puppy. Hopefully other will chime in, many people have Trotyl son's on this site and will have more information.

·
Super Moderator
15,466 Posts
This is a fairly common topic on DT that has been discussed at length. If you try the search function you should find many Euro/American threads

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
If the breeder is telling you the mom is a sharp south american dog I would try to find another breeder. Maybe she can refer you to someone with american lines.

Where do you live?

Here is a good place to start but remember just because someone is a member of the DPCA is not a guarantee they are a good breeder. Be sure to double check them here.

DPCA | The Doberman | Breeder Referral

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
There are many threads on the Euro/NA thing, but the S.A. thing is different, however really not sure it matters (although I am not versed on such things, so take it as you will). What sticks out to me is the word sharp, which if you want a placid / gentle dog, might just want to consider a different litter. Actually, you might want to consider a different breed! ;) OR consider an adult rescue, of which you could really see what the adult temperament would be like.

These dogs can be gentle (Silas is, however he is still a huge goofball too) but that's on a Doberman spectrum. He does do therapy work. But he is still a young exuberant male. I don't know how many Dobes I would consider placid, period! I can see gentle more so than placid... and that takes time, innate temperament, and extensive training.

Can you meet the parents?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
"Placid" is not a word I would ever use to describe any Doberman I've ever owned, over the decades.

The funny thing is, many people out in the general public come away with that impression of my dogs, since they are very well-trained and are taught to behave so well in public.

I always try to set straight people who comment on how "calm" they are, and explain when they aren't working for me, they are the typical hyper wildchild. Not sure everyone always believes me, but 'tis very true.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Precisely, RFR.

This breed takes a lot of work to get there. And even when you know they can get there with all your efforts... sometimes you still wonder what the hell you got yourself into. :)

And how, at any given moment, sometimes without warning, The Satanic Human-Knee-Destroying Zoomies can break out...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Beware. "Sharp" is a euphemism for an unstable temperament. Unstable temperaments are bad no matter what part of the world the dog originates from. Also, make no mistake, a dog does not have to be "sharp" to be protective. On the contrary, most of the schutzhund Dobermans that I know are some of the most stable Dobermans I know.

Look elsewhere. There are many good tempered Dobermans out there. You do not need the liability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts