Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im aware this is a doberman website but i just got my american bullys ears cropped 2 days ago and i cant tell if they are infected or its the healing process. there is an odor and this morning when i woke up there was yellow stuff on both ears where the stitches are at i took a warm rag and cleaned them off. everytime i put neosporin on them hours later they look nastier than them dry. do i take him to the vet today or try something else

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i posted each ear , he also shakes his head and tries to scratch them but he was doing that since he got home

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
They look okay but I would remove the cone. It's keeping it humid in there and not comfortable because it's rubbing on his ears. Airflow is your best friend for letting ears heal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They look okay but I would remove the cone. It's keeping it humid in there and not comfortable because it's rubbing on his ears. Airflow is your best friend for letting ears heal.
i was also given this to use is it safe? or stick witg peroxide &’ neosporin

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on the ears. Clean them off gently with a warm cloth and let them dry. Cut his nails way back so he can't scratch.

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
I would not use peroxide on newly cropped ears. It can actually delay healing by irritating the unhealed wounds.

And I never use neosporine while posting--clean and dry is your best bet. I never use e-collars on healing ears the Vetricyn you got (did the vet give you that to use?) The Vetricyn and Vetricyn Plus are both safe to use on healing ears. Neither of them will degrade healing tissue.

The first time it showed up here I took it back to the vets in the clinic where I work and they said, absolutely safe to use on healing ears and since you can spray it on and not mess with the sutures (which hurts no matter how careful you are) it's as safe a product as you are likely to find to use on healing cropped ears.

Later I also ran into a vet I know who crops and asked about the Vetricyn Plus and she reached in her show bag and said--"this stuff? It's great and you don't have to touch the ears and freak the puppy out."

Don't pick scabs--they'll fall off when the tissue underneith them is healed.

Were you posting these ears only three days after they were cropped? TOO SOON--don't post ears that haven't healed and that still have sutures in the edges. They will get infected. They need to be completely healed before posting even on the short bully crops.

dobebug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would not use peroxide on newly cropped ears. It can actually delay healing by irritating the unhealed wounds.

And I never use neosporine while posting--clean and dry is your best bet. I never use e-collars on healing ears the Vetricyn you got (did the vet give you that to use?) The Vetricyn and Vetricyn Plus are both safe to use on healing ears. Neither of them will degrade healing tissue.

The first time it showed up here I took it back to the vets in the clinic where I work and they said, absolutely safe to use on healing ears and since you can spray it on and not mess with the sutures (which hurts no matter how careful you are) it's as safe a product as you are likely to find to use on healing cropped ears.

Later I also ran into a vet I know who crops and asked about the Vetricyn Plus and she reached in her show bag and said--"this stuff? It's great and you don't have to touch the ears and freak the puppy out."

Don't pick scabs--they'll fall off when the tissue underneith them is healed.

Were you posting these ears only three days after they were cropped? TOO SOON--don't post ears that haven't healed and that still have sutures in the edges. They will get infected. They need to be completely healed before posting even on the short bully crops.

dobebug
this is day 3 but they arent posted they had a string tying them together i cut it off yesterday i was going to wait to tape them after they were completely healed. ur advice was really helpful anything else for the future is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
10,154 Posts
this is day 3 but they arent posted they had a string tying them together i cut it off yesterday i was going to wait to tape them after they were completely healed. ur advice was really helpful anything else for the future is greatly appreciated
Oh, good. Just wanted to make sure. Yeah, if you have further questions don't hesitate to ask. I don't know nearly as much about bully ears but I've worked on a few--and they stood so I guess I do sort of have credentials.

dobebug

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will post updated ear pics if the yellow stuff comes back i took the cone off i only had it on him while i sleep bc i cant watch him to make sure he isnt scratching

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,284 Posts
Are the stitches actually ripped out, or is there just bleeding along the cut areas? If he is wearing a cone, make sure it is not rubbing on his ears--you may even want to remove it.
It's hard to say without seeing your pup in person, but unless he is just constantly dripping with blood you can probably wait until the morning when you can call your vet and see what he recommends. Blot the blood from around the cropped area off gently if you want, but don't touch the actual cut areas of his ears--you don't want to interfere with any scab formation and he won't like you messing with them either if you're picking at the sensitive cut area. If you are very worried, you can always check with an emergency vet for advice and possible treatment if needed.

Sorry to be so late answering your question--we've got a lot of early risers here--and consequently a lot of them hit the sack early too.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
With dog wounds dry is good. We get tempted to clean things up but do not. Dry is good even if it is dried blood.
Call the vet and they will help you.
With my vet I send them pictures to their email that can be very helpful allowing them to triage via telephone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts