Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I just wanted to say that I think I have a handle on Bumpy and walking. After taking everyone's suggestions we have a whole new attitude on our walks. I watched back -to -back Cesar Millan episodes with lunging rottweilers and watched him retrain the owners...and lo and behold I have that Doberman under control. YAY!!. I put on a really strong glove to hold the leash and have to say that I manhandled that boy of mine until he got who was boss. PLEASE TAKE THE WORD MANHANDLED WITH THE HUMOR THAT I WROTE IT :). I corrected him when I could before the problem happened and when I couldn't foresee it, I surely corrected it as it happened. Bumpy gave me this look like "what are u doing"...but then proceeded to calm down and walk.

On another positive note, we started training again yesterday and he started up in the parking lot lunging at a rottweiler....so of course I corrected him with all the weight that I had....and after class, the owner and I slowly let them closer to each other, I showed no fear, she showed no fear, on their own time they got a little closer to each other, sniffed each other and then believe it or not they both got into that "play with me" down dog stance and spent the next 20 minutes playing together. THERE IS HOPE!!!!!

I am so happy right now. We are going to work on this every day...that and the touching of the paws and by the next CGC test my boy is going to pass. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Good for you!!!! Yay!! LOL, back to back Cesar episodes....

Had to edit...love Cesar, may have to follow in your footsteps with my stubborn boy!! LOL. Good to know you were successful!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just can't slack off one day with this boy....and I need to keep reminding myself of that - lol. Tomorrow is another day and in my three dog world you just never know what to expect. :)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We do the next CGC in four weeks....but he still doesn't like his paws touched. He lets me do it now, but I don't think he will be that cooperative if a stranger tries.....

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Good for you.... my girl passed her test just fine - but she'll still pull while on a walk sometimes.
Try having friends and other people touch his paws calmly while you or they feed him treats.... good luck!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
We do the next CGC in four weeks....but he still doesn't like his paws touched. He lets me do it now, but I don't think he will be that cooperative if a stranger tries.....
Good job on the progress.
The feet issue--is there anyone that can help you. Have them touch feet and give treats at the same time. He will so love to have his feet touched. . Perhaps your ob instructor would spend a little time before or after class.:)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to ask the instructor on Saturday. He used to have Dobermans so he could probably help me. He doesn't mind his back feet touched at all, just the front.....the funny thing is when he lays in bed next to me he whacks me with his paws to get my attention and doesn't care if I touch them then...he just cares when it is not his idea.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts