Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to have bought my Doberman from a puppy store? I know I am definitely the minority on this forum when it comes to my 8 month old Dobe. I did not buy her from an established breeder. When I got her I was not even seeking to own a puppy..or a Doberman, period. We pretty much found each other lol I just stopped by to burn some time before a movie (which I missed because of her hehe) and I found myself hanging out with this little 8 week old pup for nearly 4 hours in the store. She followed me around and played with me the whole time. It was just to hard to just leave her there.....since we all know about puppy store/puppy mill connections. I just didn't feel right leaving her in that nasty, stinky store in a cramped cage way to small for her :)help_up_2 she looked at me just like this!). So in a way, I feel like I rescued her. She must feel the same way lol She's so loving.

We left Petland with her...with the Kennel cough and all (What a sneezy mess! Drippy puppy snot). I've heard stories where dogs from pup stores end up with many complications and die shortly thereafter...but I fell for her and thought it was a chance worth taking.

Where exactly do these Dobe puppies come from? Mostly back-yard breeders? Accident? Is she of undesirable quality? How did such a lovely girl from Missouri land herself at a Petland in Florida? I have tried to trace back her first owner (they say its a breeder by the name of Debra Smith in Missouri?) but no such luck. Either way I'm happy to have met her and added her to my family.

Am I the only store-bought dobe story on here?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Liza said:
...to have bought my Doberman from a puppy store? I know I am definitely the minority on this forum when it comes to my 8 month old Dobe. I did not buy her from an established breeder. When I got her I was not even seeking to own a puppy..or a Doberman, period. We pretty much found each other lol I just stopped by to burn some time before a movie (which I missed because of her hehe) and I found myself hanging out with this little 8 week old pup for nearly 4 hours in the store. She followed me around and played with me the whole time. It was just to hard to just leave her there.....since we all know about puppy store/puppy mill connections. I just didn't feel right leaving her in that nasty, stinky store in a cramped cage way to small for her :)help_up_2 she looked at me just like this!). So in a way, I feel like I rescued her. She must feel the same way lol She's so loving.

We left Petland with her...with the Kennel cough and all (What a sneezy mess! Drippy puppy snot). I've heard stories where dogs from pup stores end up with many complications and die shortly thereafter...but I fell for her and thought it was a chance worth taking.

Where exactly do these Dobe puppies come from? Mostly back-yard breeders? Accident? Is she of undesirable quality? How did such a lovely girl from Missouri land herself at a Petland in Florida? I have tried to trace back her first owner (they say its a breeder by the name of Debra Smith in Missouri?) but no such luck. Either way I'm happy to have met her and added her to my family.

Am I the only store-bought dobe story on here?
Well..there's no tactful way to put this. Yes, I do think it's wrong to buy puppies and kittens from pet stores. The only way to stop the marketing of dogs and cats in this environment is by the consumer voting with their dollars..walking away from the animals for sale, and even refusing to buy pet supplies from shops that sell puppies and kittens. Hit the stores, the middlemen and the puppy mills in the pocketbook, and they'll find some other way to generate income.

Missouri is a hot bed of puppy mills, I think the overwhelming odds are that's where your puppy came from.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hi Liza,

I'm glad Trinity is with you, and that she's doing well now. I don't blame you for falling for her.
Were you wrong to get her, maybe. I'm not judging you, but when we "rescue" from the puppy stores, then it just leaves room for more and more puppies sold that way, and lots of heartbreak when weak puppies die, due to poor breeding, hygiene and what else. We're supporting the bad breeders who don't care, by doing that.
I don't think you need worring about it at this point, just keep loving her, giving her the best life you can, keeping her healthy. But don't go into that kind of store anymore.... I don't, ever, not even to buy supplies, because it breaks my heart, and I can't make it stop, but I can decide not to support that trade.
She's very cute by the way, from what I can see, she looks good, and she's only one month older than my girl. Welcome, you've found a great bunch of people here.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Missiouri is a huge puppymill state so they ship everywere. Pennsylvania and ohio seem pretty big too.

I don't agree with "rescueing" from pet stores but you did what you felt was best so don't beat yourself up over it or anyhting. You learn and move on. Use what you learn to educate people.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look at her sometimes and just feel guilty. I think about that almost everyday and I don't like that.. It's so depressing lol. I saw that one HBO special last year about the puppy mills..blech...and I supported that horrible trade when I bought her.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah its always a tough call...since its not the dogs fault they are in the petstore...and on one side its good that she is in a safe home...but on the otherside the money you paid for her...the people dont deserve it. So i guess the only option is to steal...lol jk :)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
no dont feel guilty! you love her and she has a home....she is safe and can live life. Alot of the petlands around me are closing down....I dont know...they should really just ban dogs being sold in petstores. maybe you can put the feelings you have towards working with others or people in your area to see what you can change about having a petland....
its an emotional game petstores can play...and its not fair to the dogs.
again, dont feel guilty....she will be a great dog and LOVE you like any other doberman loves their owners :)
Do you have her in any obedience classes? might as well start young :) but this site is a great forum to have found :)

·
Extraordimary
4,976 Posts
The bottom line on breeders that would ultimately let their puppies be sold through pet stores is that they care so little about them that they don't care where they go, who buys them or what happens to them. They will never know if the dogs they produced have problems and they will never alter their breeding program or plans because they are ignorant of what they've done.

Since I'm active in rescue, I do have a puppy store story. Romeo was turned in to rescue when he was 9 months old. Had been purchased at PJ's, a chain of pet stores in the Toronto area. The typical story -- rambunctious puppy, not enough time, no training, etc. After Romeo arrived in the foster home, she was describing his behaviours to me and I quickly surmised that it sounded like he had Dancing Doberman Disease. He was seen by the neurology dept at the Ontario Veterinary College (OVC), and the diagnosis was confirmed.

Luckily, so luckily, for Romeo, the person who adopted him had a close connection to OVC so he could continue to be monitored there.

However, Romeo developed osteosarcoma in his shoulder and was dead by the age of TWO years.

His "breeders" don't know. They'll never know. Who are they? Who knows? They will continue to produce Romeos and dump them in pet stores where the unsuspecting public will fall in love with cute faces and "rescue" them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't beat yourself up. Pet stores bank on the fact that people will fall in love with the puppies. I won't buy dog food or anything from stores that sell puppies or kittens, but there was a time when of course I did - I didn't always know about puppy mills. And when I did find out I was horrified, it is hard to believe they exist, but thank goodness for documentaries and reporters that bring it out in the open. Just love your dog like you would any other and know that you did HER a favor. She knows you saved her - just now do your part in educating others.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Liza, like others have said, don't beat yourself up. You live and learn, and will know better next time and also be more informed to tell friends/family better too. Not all of us here have a puppy from an "established breeder" as you put it. There are many here with pups from BYB, rescues and so on.

Orson was saved from a BYB that was no better than a puppy mill in his care of the dogs. So I could easily have many health issues to deal with too, it is a chance I had to take to get him out of there.

You are providing a good home, and love to your dog for as long as she can stay around to be with you and in the end that is what counts.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Your question was: Am I wrong? My answer: I think you are wrong to buy from a petstore. I just don't go into the one's that sell pets anymore. But I understand that once you were in there, it would have been hard not to buy her. That's what they count on!!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Found this on the web: Dancing Doberman Disease is unique to dobermans. They appear to dance back and forth on their hind legs. It starts by the dog lifting a hindleg in the air and then straightening it, changing to the other one. Eventually the dogs hindend weakens and may have trouble getting up. Related to the central nervous system their is no known cure.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I don't think it is fair to ask yourself that question at this time. You have her now, you love her and she is a very lucky girl. I do not walk by or go into these kinds of establishments because it is just too upsetting. And, as it happened to you, one cannot just walk out and leave those poor pups with the very sad faces in that situation. So, just love her and keep her happy. She is a lucky gir.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Everybody makes mistakes, and they (hopefully) learn from them. I hang out on a big boxer board and there's many people who bought from pet stores or BYBs without having any idea how truly bad the decision was. Nobody censures or insults them, they just work to educate so that they don't make the same mistake in the future.
However, it doesn't mean they love their dogs any less or that the dogs don't deserve to be loved any less than a dog who came from a responsible breeder. I personally refuse to step foot in a pet store that sells puppies; not because I don't think I could resist those adorable puppy faces, but because I refuse to give such an establishment any of my money.

There's currently a young pup on the boxer board (9 months old) who was purchased from a pet store in IL. His name is Pepino and he was recently diagnosed with hip dysplasia, HOD, and Cranial Cruciate Ligament Disease. His young owner has dropped out of college and moved to a cheaper apartment in order to save money to give Pepino the surgeries he needs, and as a forum we've set up a fundraiser to help. Nobody cares about his origins, the only thing we care about is helping him get the medical attention he needs and dearly deserves.

Are you wrong? I doubt your beautiful pup thinks so.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Liza - the best thing for you to do now is educate as many people as you can about mills and pet stores. Mistake - shmistake, enjoy your girl but when people ask take the opportunity to share the evils of where she may have come from. Did you get papers at all? I can probably trace where she came from if you have a kennel licence number or something. If the papers have Hunte on them I can guarantee she came from a Mill...

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I totally agree with LP you have a dog you love and a dog that loves you,there are people here to help and educate people for the future to try and reduce the effect these puppy mills have.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
MIA said:
Liza - the best thing for you to do now is educate as many people as you can about mills and pet stores. Mistake - shmistake, enjoy your girl but when people ask take the opportunity to share the evils of where she may have come from. Did you get papers at all? I can probably trace where she came from if you have a kennel licence number or something. If the papers have Hunte on them I can guarantee she came from a Mill...

I agree with MIA. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It took three Dobermans for me to figure out what you learned with one.

Dobie #1 literally walked from the BYB's backyard into our front yard, with her head stuck in a tin can. Her name was Maggie. They said we could keep her, and she is the reason I love Dobermans to this day.

Dobie #2, my Mother bought from a BYB from an ad in the newspaper after Maggie died. Her name was Mandy. We got lucky with her, she made it to 13.

Dobie #3 was Mavis, who was bred to be over-size (and over-priced) at the expense of everything else. She was given to me by her original owners at 11 months because she had issues with their little girl. With the exception of her health problems, that killed her at 7 1/2 years, she was the best Dobie ever.

By this time I thought I knew everything there was to know about Dobermans. But as soon as I started looking for the Pup, who is now Mensa, I found out I didn't know anything.

Which is why I'm thankfull for this site. The folks on here set me straight, and helped me find the best Dobie yet!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts