Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I need some advice from you guys. I have had many dogs in my life, but Bullet (the dog I need advice on) is my first doberman. He is a three year old rescue from Louisiana. As far as the rescue knows he is a purebred. He is 3 years old and weighs about 70 pounds. He took a transport in august from LA to New England to live with me.

Over the past month or so he has had diarrhea three times. The first time was pretty bad. He had explosive diarrhea. That time he also pooped out pure black blood. I made him a vet appointment immediately. The vet thought it was an ulcer (didn't do any test to confirm or deny that). After taking the medicine, the vet gave him and being on a chicken and rice diet his stool went back to normal. Then about a week later he had diarrhea again. After feeding him chicken and rice for a few days he went back to normal without a vet visit. The most recent time was probably 2 or 3 weeks after the time before. He had diarrhea so bad that it looked like brown colored water coming out of him. I again put him on the chicken and rice diet, which he slowly improved. Although, before his feces went back to completely normal i saw a small amount of red blood in his stool. I have tried changing his food, but that didn't help. My other dog hasn't had any problems and they both eat the same food. During his diarrhea episodes, he seems to have less energy, but his appetite doesn't change. Over the many times he has had diarrhea, his stool has been grey, dark red, red and normal.

In addition to the diarrhea, he drinks a lot more water than any other dog I have owned. He is also always hungry. I feed him 3 cups of food a day, which is more than my 100 pound mastiff. If you saw his behavior you would think I starve him. He is skinny, but the vet said he is not to skinny for the breed. Another thing that I thought was strange with him is he goes poop at least three times a day. I usually only feed him once or twice a day. (i have been changing between once or twice a day feedings to see if it helps with him always being hungry.) When i was feeding him once a day he would still poop three times a day and a significant amount. Alone, I wouldn't think anything of these things. With the almost constant diarrhea, I am wondering if something serious is wrong with him. If the diarrhea continues, I am probably going to take him to the vet to get a blood panel done just to rule out anything serious and narrow down the cause. Any help is much appreciated? Thank you for reading my long post!

·
Registered
895 Posts
You should already have had the vet pull blood, run a full fecal analysis (including giardia and coccidia) and should be actively seeking answers. Blood in stool= SERIOUS condition that needs medical attention ASAP. Grey stool can mean liver problems.

Vet, NOW. Then report back once you have more information.

·
Bazinga!
4,534 Posts
What are you feeding him? Please don't say blue Buffalo.

Understand if he stabilizes on the chicken and rice yet when you go back to kibble he explodes. The issue may be with the kibble.

Has the vet done any bloodwork or fecal testing?
If he's struggling with intestinal issues he won't be absorbing everything he needs from his food. This can create a dog who feels hungry all the time.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
You should already have had the vet pull blood, run a full fecal analysis (including giardia and coccidia) and should be actively seeking answers. Blood in stool= SERIOUS condition that needs medical attention ASAP. Grey stool can mean liver problems.

Vet, NOW. Then report back once you have more information.
I'd say NEW vet, now.

I'm not overly confident in any vet who has a patient come in with completely/mainly bloody stool and doesn't do any testing, fecal or blood wise.

Sounds like he may have some sort of digestion issue or deficiency like EPI/exocrin pancreatic insufficiency... Not saying I think that's what it is but just a thought...

P.s.
Black and/or tarry stool is a bad thing.
Bright red blood in reasonable amounts points to just inflammation/irritation in the colon.

I'm not saying ignore one over the other or anything...but just trying to help you know what to keep an eye on and what to e-vet about (like you did before)

·
Registered
237 Posts
A dog in a new home having the squirts 3 times in a month is not something I would worry about.

Dobes are known to have weak stomachs and eat everything aka dobergoat so they are bound to get an upset stomachs in a new setting <no not all of them> Stress and strange eats even different chemicals in the water who knows.

If you have tried changing food in that first month that could also be a cause for the squirts. Let it go longer than a few weeks before giving up on a food.

Just because he acts hungry does not mean he is. He may have came from a past where he was starved and in turn any food provided was chowed down because there was no telling when the next meal might show up. As long as his weight is not going down he is getting enough food and in time will realise with his new home comes regular feedings.

Just relax a bit and have some fun with the new guy. As long as he is playing eating drinking and not dropping weight then there is a good chance he is fine.

I would watch for the discolored stools though that would have me worried.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
P.s. any pictures of the boy?

·
Got mutt?
Leo, Lily, and Simon
13,949 Posts
I concur with the assessment of a different vet, and a full blood panel and fecal.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
A dog in a new home having the squirts 3 times in a month is not something I would worry about.

Dobes are known to have weak stomachs and eat everything aka dobergoat so they are bound to get an upset stomachs in a new setting <no not all of them> Stress and strange eats even different chemicals in the water who knows.

If you have tried changing food in that first month that could also be a cause for the squirts. Let it go longer than a few weeks before giving up on a food.

Just because he acts hungry does not mean he is. He may have came from a past where he was starved and in turn any food provided was chowed down because there was no telling when the next meal might show up. As long as his weight is not going down he is getting enough food and in time will realise with his new home comes regular feedings.

Just relax a bit and have some fun with the new guy. As long as he is playing eating drinking and not dropping weight then there is a good chance he is fine.

I would watch for the discolored stools though that would have me worried.
Seriously?

Did we read the same post on the same dog?

Black blood in the stool. Multiple episodes, and sounds like failure to thrive. A history that nearly certainly is not ideal, given he landed in rescue.

Yet you feel comfortable telling someone over the internet to "give it a few weeks"?

Wowsers.

OP, make sure the next time he's at the vet (ASAP) that a snap test for Giardia/Coccida is done--these protozoal parasites can be very difficult to catch, and can cause just such symptoms as you're describing.

Frankly, it sounds fairly typical of Giardia, to me, but you need a good vet to actually diagnose your boy.

Did you mention which kibble you're using? That certainly could be a factor as well, given your descriptions, but I'd be daggone sure internal parasites were totally ruled out, first and foremost.

Got a pic of your rescued boy? :D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
^^^^Ditto. Please OP, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT "wait this out". Get to the vet and get the fecals done yesterday. Blood in stool is bad news, especially dark blood. I've dealt with it in humans, never canine (thankfully) but the urgency is all the same.

Good luck to you and your boy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts