Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through some local classified ads and came across one for a give away 4 month old female doberman. There is not a whole lot of infomation in there except to say that the female is good with kids and other dogs.
We know that we want another dog, however did not plan on even thinking of one this early in the game. Copper is only 5 months old.
Is there anyone out there that has dobermans that close in age, or is it something that I should not even be thinking about?
I am at work right now and unable to call the person, so Travis is going to call and ask a bunch of questions. One of my wonders is why they are getting rid of it.
Please share all thoughts...positive or negative...I need to make an educated decision and I know I can count on you guys.

·
Banned
675 Posts
It could be the last puppy left from a litter and they just want to get her off their hands.

Two puppies close in age is a handful, and it takes extra work. Many people think it will make things easier, but it actually makes them harder. Which is not to say it can't be done, but the people involved have to be dedicated to the challenge, and it's important to make sure each puppy has its fair share of individual time with the human without the other puppy around, otherwise they tend to bond too much with each other and remain that way for life.

I feel sorry for the puppy, this could go either way for her, good or bad. Ask as many questions as you can.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Wegs813 said:
I was looking through some local classified ads and came across one for a give away 4 month old female doberman. There is not a whole lot of infomation in there except to say that the female is good with kids and other dogs.
We know that we want another dog, however did not plan on even thinking of one this early in the game. Copper is only 5 months old.
Is there anyone out there that has dobermans that close in age, or is it something that I should not even be thinking about?
I am at work right now and unable to call the person, so Travis is going to call and ask a bunch of questions. One of my wonders is why they are getting rid of it.
Please share all thoughts...positive or negative...I need to make an educated decision and I know I can count on you guys.
Yeah, I think you're crazy. :)

I'm an experienced doberman owner, and I can tell you that ONE puppy at a time is more than enough to deal with..

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Yeah me too,i like there to be about 18 months between them but I'm crazy anyway and would probably look into that puppy myself.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
That situation has happened to me a couple times before, I have seen in the paper someone "giving away" a Doberman, but they are always older than four months. I put them contact with the local Doberman rescue and do follow-up after that.

If they are serious about wanting to place the dog in a nice home, that is is not the way to go about it and if they are giving the dog away for free, going with a qualified Dobe rescue in the way to go if they feel they don't want to return to the dog to the breeder. GOOD breeders want the dog back if things don't work out. So we can assume BYB since they are placing an ad in the paper.

I wonder what issues are going on with such a young puppy, health, temperament, personality, etc. Probably won't know much right away since she is such a young puppy. And you won't know much about health from just looking at her other than she appears healthy at that time, since the dog is so young and I doubt the parents are health tested. Although you can check her coat, eyes, mouth, teeth, etc.

And for sure no dog is free, if you think you are getting a deal, just think about the vet visits that are mandatory, and shots, and any other vet related costs the puppy could need (manage, resp. infections, thyroid, ringworm, immune issues, staph, allergies, etc.) the cost of food rises on a lot when feeding two large breed growing puppies, toys and bones to keep them busy, new bowls, collars (mine have like 10 per dog, I love collars) more treats, sweaters, another dog crate, dog beds, training expenses (like micdobe said, it is REALLY challenging and a handful to raise two at that age), lots of paper towels and cleaners to house train, I could keep going, but you get the picture.

Even a "free kitty" up to date on shots and vet care was not so free. I took her straight to the vet, vet exam, microchip, etc. was about $100, but was worth it since I knew she was doing wonderful and knew she was healthy and wouldn't give anything to my existing animals. Then came the food $40.00 ( many cans and large bag of dry). Then I wanted to get her tons of toys and huge cat trees ($160). Then shampoo, a litter box, nail clippers, safe litter, soft cat beds, bowls, a crate for vet exams, kitty treats, etc. <vbg>

I don't think it is a good idea to raise two puppies like that, not Dobermans. I would wait until your boy is at least 18 months as well, three years is best.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Another thing, just b/c it says she is good with kids and other dogs doesn't mean that she is, although if a 4 month old puppy wasn't I would be VERY concerned. People say all sorts of things....so just be aware of that, which I am sure you already are...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I raised 2 Doberman puppies that were 7 months apart in age. It was ALOT of work to do it properly.

It's mischief times 2. I had each one in puppy kindergarten, then basic and then novice obedience. I took them seperately so it was also alot of driving time.

Dobermans need alot of socialization, so socializing 2 was alot of work too.

You'll have twice the vet and food bills, not to mention the toys and collars they go through.

It isn't anything I would do again.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
OMG, I could not image 2 *******'s..lol

oops, I meant imagine.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
I would refer them to Doberman rescue also. I think raising two puppies together is more work than most people want to take on. I'd wait at least another year before adding another one.

·
Premium Member
10,998 Posts
Murreydobe said it first and most concisely--yeah, you're crazy <G>

I like at least two years between dogs--that gives you barely enough time to raise and civilize one puppy before you take on another.

The biggest problem (beyond the havok that two Dobe pups of similar age can create) is that most people, no matter how good their intentins may be don't manage to give both pups equal time and attention and the puppies end up more bonded to each other than to the humans in their life. I've seen it happen way too many times to think that raising two of similar ages is anything but a bad idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts