Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i love european doberman's and im considering getting one if the future i was wondering if anyone has had experience with either altobello or Del Nasi dobermanns? How much do there puppies cost? How much does it cost to import one? Or even better is there anyone in the USA that owns a doberman from one of this kennels? even studded puppies from one of this kennels would be amazing to me. Thanks!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey, i love european doberman's and im considering getting one if the future i was wondering if anyone has had experience with either altobello or Del Nasi dobermanns? How much do there puppies cost? How much does it cost to import one? Or even better is there anyone in the USA that owns a doberman from one of this kennels? even studded puppies from one of this kennels would be amazing to me. Thanks!!
I have no experience directly with these kennels but I just imported a dog from Serbia whose father is fedor del nasi who obviously came from the del nasi kennel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
we have imported 2 from Serbia and 1 just recently from Hungary. What Kennel in Serbia?? Most recently it cost between 5-600 american dollars to fly out of Frankfurt.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
If you think you can buy a better dog from a total stranger 6,000 miles away over the internet than you can from a serious breeder in the states that you can meet, talk to, and give you support after the sale, then I think you are seriously mis-guided. Of course, I seem to have met many people that feel that the farther they have to go to get a dog, the better it is....

·
Registered
276 Posts
we have imported 2 from Serbia and 1 just recently from Hungary. What Kennel in Serbia?? Most recently it cost between 5-600 american dollars to fly out of Frankfurt.
Betelges Kennel. I paid 1.100 USD for the transportation from Serbia to Sweden. But the owner of the kennel came personally with the dog on the plane. So that was more expensive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you think you can buy a better dog from a total stranger 6,000 miles away over the internet than you can from a serious breeder in the states that you can meet, talk to, and give you support after the sale, then I think you are seriously mis-guided. Of course, I seem to have met many people that feel that the farther they have to go to get a dog, the better it is....
Yes I agree. I would never import if I lived in the US. The only reason for doing it here in Sweden is that you can not get a cropped/docked dogs here because of the law. Having a local breeder that you can visit beforehand and get help from afterwards is really a big plus.

·
Registered
142 Posts
im going to go ahead a politely disagree. i understand what you are both saying but I am 3/3 and have been more than happy with the dogs I have imported from 2 different kennels. I spoke with them via email, facebook and phone. I have references overseas that have vouched, that may be the difference. I didnt purchase these dogs completely blind, I never would have. Thats not to say I am against getting a dobie here in the states. We just prefer the euros straight from the source. btw, I have a 2 year old and a newborn and we are comfortable having our dobie around them. Obviously its not just where they are from but how they are socialized and trained.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am happy that you had a good experience importing. I have, however, heard that there have been problems with the falsification of Eastern European pedigrees. I bought my first Doberman from Mary Rogers when she was in California ,sight unseen, but I wanted a companion dog and had no intention of showing or breeding. He was first generation from a Dutch bitch and Mary built her entire program around Dutch lines. I love the look. When I buy again I will buy a European type from a U.S. breeder to support the program here at home.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Continental... He had a layover in new jersey before reaching atlanta. My pup cleared customs in germany before he even entered the states. The other 2 dobies flew with lufthansa. It was a good price but I also had to pay for him to be transported from hungary to frankfurt.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't know, I'm inclined to listen to Kansa, since he's sort of the authority on this... And has more experience than probably most people in this country (not just this forum.)

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
im going to go ahead a politely disagree. i understand what you are both saying but I am 3/3 and have been more than happy with the dogs I have imported from 2 different kennels. I spoke with them via email, facebook and phone. I have references overseas that have vouched, that may be the difference. I didnt purchase these dogs completely blind, I never would have. Thats not to say I am against getting a dobie here in the states. We just prefer the euros straight from the source. btw, I have a 2 year old and a newborn and we are comfortable having our dobie around them. Obviously its not just where they are from but how they are socialized and trained.
Of course everyone is titled to their own opinion and I'm glad you are happy with your dogs. There are a few breeders in the u.s. that have excellent quality European dogs for show, pet, and sport. It is my opinion if I could get the same breeding in the U.S. why would I go to all the trouble importing?

I can visit the breeder, visit at least one of the parents, and see other litters. Plus my cost would be much less than importing a puppy. I could understand if you are looking for a particular pedigree and you cannot find it here. Other than that there really is no other reason to import. In fact I see it as a little risky. And I know myself I would never import a Schutzhund prospect if the same lines were offered here. Maybe if I was in Europe and knew the breeder, then I would bring a pup home. But never would I import sight unseen, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive spoken with many breeders here in the states.... some on this forum. The cost is not less. It costs me the exact same to import as to get one from a reputable breeder here in the states. So it had nothing to do with cost being higher or lower. My breeder titles her dogs both ways and the sire of my pup was IDC-Jugendsieger 2007, IDC Sieger 2008 and DV Sieger 2008 . People know these dogs and there temperment by there popularity... I didnt have to visit. I already knew what I was looking for and got it. That is why.

·
Banned
3,981 Posts
Most dogs from Altobello and Del Nasi don't live longer than 9 years. If you care about a dog longevity... Other than that they are great dogs.

I don't agree you can get the same breeding in US.
There are two different breedings:
- European Dobermans - breeders don't sell the best puppies to States. It's risky to buy online. Good luck.
- NA Dobermans from European lines - breeders adjust a dog look and personalities to NA demands.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've imported a bunch of Dobermans from Europe. Based on my personal experience, I agree with Kansa. Forget about the quality of the dog, or even the price, but how do you expect to develope a proper relationship with a person who can't speak English? Or does so very poorly.

A lot of people (noobs and pet people) get enamored by the "look" of european dogs without realizing often this "look" is achieved simply by the style of presentation. The differences between Dobes in Europe and Dobes in North America are very subtle, in person you wouldn't be able to pick them out, unless you are a very serious Doberman person.

For the great majority of people, I see no reason to buy a dog from Europe. All of the reasons you *think* are why you want a European dog are wrong. Whether it's temperament, structure, w/e. The simply best and smartest thing you can do, almost unequivocally, is to buy a dog from somone locally, who you have a rapport with, and will help you select the right dog for your situation.

However, serious American breeders are a bit ridiculous with all the stipulations and how difficult they actually make it to get a good dog.

·
Registered
204 Posts
^^^^

Proves my point.

Because noobs and pet people think that picture actually means something.

I can get my dachshund to do that.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts