Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems that the base of Odin's ears are irritating him while the posts are in. He keeps wanting to shake his head, he isn't doing it to get attention are trying to get his way because it genuinely looks like they are bothering him. I looked at it isn't rubbed raw or anything, a little red but that's about it.

He will play, eat, sleep while they are in but every once in awhile just want to shake his head and scratch at them. So its not a constant irritation. Its never bothered him before, so I was wondering if there is a different style of posting I can try to give the base of his ears a break.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
Rudy was more uncomfortable with his posts before I started using skin bond.
Now I glue the back of the wrapped rod as well as a bit of a cotton ball to the bottom and wet it with the glue. I also put some glue in the base of his ears and a bit up the inside. Put the post in....and it doesn't move. And he much more comfortable. Then I tape of course. But he never shakes his head or scratches now. The glue is called Torbot. IMO The glue makes a lot of difference. You will need an adhesive remover for changing the posts.

OR.

You could post with Dr. Shoal's Mole Foam and skin bond.
I posted my last dobe's ears that way with good results.
This is an example link. ears
I did not use Popsicle sticks. But I did shred less then half of a cotton ball and wrap the bottom of the foam, saturate with glue then put in ear. Basically the same way I'm doing at the bottom of the backer rod posts I'm using.
Looked like this. This is my last male dog Strider when he was a pup. What a cutie. His ears NEVER bothered him. No shaking or scratching.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,323 Posts
I have used a bit of a cotton swab to pad a post in the area where it seems to be rubbing. Of course you don't want to shove the cotton way down into the ear, but if you fluff it lightly around the post so that it lines up with the problem area that might help.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Sometimes when Taylor seemed irritated I found that I had not cleaned her ear as well as I should have. She also seemed more comfortable when I tapered the end of the post and really snugged it down into her ear. I also wrapped the post all the way to the tip before it went into her ear.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
has anyone tried this method for taping? Does it work for a Dobe?

Summit View Great Dane Ear Taping (1 of 3) - YouTube

I was previously using what was recommended in the sticky with the backer rod.

Right now I am using the rolled up toilet paper then secured with tact tape and back taped with first aid tape. He is still wanting to shake his head, so I was wondering if I did what this guy did in the video would work, do you think I would have to bridge since there isn't much support from the post not being deep in the ear? Again the posts have never bothered him before. When I take the posts out he is completely fine nothing wrong.

I wouldn't use the foam as he did in this video, I would probably keep doing what I am doing just change where I put the bottom of the post to higher up in on the ear instead of being down in the ear.

I am considering using this method as well, http://www.doberman-chat.com/community/index.php?threads/ez-earz-foam-ear-posting.12271/

Edit: I have cleaned his ears with a liquid ear cleaner, where you have to massage the base of the ears for 5-10 minutes then let the dog shake his head to get rid of any excess dirt ect. He just looks so pathetic and annoyed of his posts after he is done shaking his head and looks at me like he is going to kill me in my sleep.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I made a lightweight half post that started at the tiny nub in his ear just above the base. I had to do this because the posts rubbed an area raw deep down in the bell. I took q-tips and sandwiched them between the zonas tape. I cut the fluffy ends off so they were just the sticks. Made it follow the shape of the ear and used about 3 qtips. 2 of them made the triangle and the last one protruded from the top of the triangle to reach the tip of his ear. I fluffed out a cotton ball and glued it around the base. Then I just glued it to the inside of his ear. It worked very well and stayed in for over a week. They didnt bother him since he was happy that something wasnt shoved in his ear. Very lightweigh and his bases had no problem supporting them. Good luck. Oh You can use zip ties in place of the qtips as well

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I found that if I REALLY coated the ear canal in powder Whiskey didn't have any issues... I just dump it in and let him shake his head once then put the posts in... never had an issue with the post bothering him.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
I had to glue Guilty's posts in to prevent her from shaking them out of place and rubbing her bases raw. Much better results with the glue and he posts lasted a little longer.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
There is "sooooo" many experts & resources here at DT.
Since my old girl is in her 12th year...this subject, in our home hasn't come up lately.
- while I am interested in learning more
I love & dearly miss, the puppy process - but, our Amy was a big head shaker (lol).
- and my wife had to repeat the posting more than we could count on one hand
Our puppy Amy found, if she ran directly under the oak coffee table, she could wreck all the tape effort (from above)...within seconds.
- little bum, using her god given brain
So we soon kept this new activity, off limits...as she headed directly for the coffee table, like clock work.
With a senior dobe now, its been a very long time, since I though much on this topic.
But when we need to get another pup, I will know where to turn...for group help.
- lots of great idea contributed (from members) and I am now missing new Odin photo updates...Hint-Hint...we all need a puppy fix

·
Registered
537 Posts
So it seems that the base of Odin's ears are irritating him while the posts are in. He keeps wanting to shake his head, he isn't doing it to get attention are trying to get his way because it genuinely looks like they are bothering him. I looked at it isn't rubbed raw or anything, a little red but that's about it.

He will play, eat, sleep while they are in but every once in awhile just want to shake his head and scratch at them. So its not a constant irritation. Its never bothered him before, so I was wondering if there is a different style of posting I can try to give the base of his ears a break.
Just leave them unposted for a few days...2-3 days should do it. During that time you can apply some ointment or whatever so they can breathe and heal up.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just leave them unposted for a few days...2-3 days should do it. During that time you can apply some ointment or whatever so they can breathe and heal up.
that's the problem I have left them for almost a week and one flopped, re posted right away and he was fine, after about the second posting is when he started to shake his head.

I think I finally found something that works for him, he hasn't shaken his head for a while now. I used the zip tie method where you lay a piece of tape down sticky side up then place the zip tie on top of it then another piece of tape on top of it with sticky side up again. Then one more zip tie then again with sticky side up again. Place a cotton pad on the bottom of one side and then stick that in the ear and place the sticky side against the ear. Then tape around the ear from top to the base of the ear, and a cotton ball between the zip tie and ear for the empty space.

He shook his head a little bit but right now he hasn't shook his head for a few hours now, so I think its working. I hope it works in the long run, when I take them off and no pockets or anything.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is "sooooo" many experts & resources here at DT.
Since my old girl is in her 12th year...this subject, in our home hasn't come up lately.
- while I am interested in learning more
I love & dearly miss, the puppy process - but, our Amy was a big head shaker (lol).
- and my wife had to repeat the posting more than we could count on one hand
Our puppy Amy found, if she ran directly under the oak coffee table, she could wreck all the tape effort (from above)...within seconds.
- little bum, using her god given brain
So we soon kept this new activity, off limits...as she headed directly for the coffee table, like clock work.
With a senior dobe now, its been a very long time, since I though much on this topic.
But when we need to get another pup, I will know where to turn...for group help.
- lots of great idea contributed (from members) and I am now missing new Odin photo updates...Hint-Hint...we all need a puppy fix
I'll get some up here soon :)

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
537 Posts
that's the problem I have left them for almost a week and one flopped, re posted right away and he was fine, after about the second posting is when he started to shake his head.

I think I finally found something that works for him, he hasn't shaken his head for a while now. I used the zip tie method where you lay a piece of tape down sticky side up then place the zip tie on top of it then another piece of tape on top of it with sticky side up again. Then one more zip tie then again with sticky side up again. Place a cotton pad on the bottom of one side and then stick that in the ear and place the sticky side against the ear. Then tape around the ear from top to the base of the ear, and a cotton ball between the zip tie and ear for the empty space.

He shook his head a little bit but right now he hasn't shook his head for a few hours now, so I think its working. I hope it works in the long run, when I take them off and no pockets or anything.
My guy had a similar red spot inside his ear, like it was becoming a bit raw. This was where I discovered when I was backtaping the posts, after the couple of layers went on, the post itself could and would slide upwards, inside of the backtaped part. It wasn't much, about a 1/4", but it was enough to rub and start to cause a raw spot.

I fixed this with two little strips of support tape, top and bottom of the backtaped piece. This anchored the post to the sticky side tape and after doing that, never had another issue. Albeit I only had to post him once or twice more after that, but still no issues all the same. :)

I also took a little cornstarch baby powder on the tip of my finger and rubbed it down inside the ear, where the base of the post would sit. Since the base of the post was about 3/16" exposed backer rod, the powder helped to eliminate any friction...or that was at least the plan, lol. Whatever works right, as long as nobody gets hurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts