Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to add that into my last thread, but Loki will not use the doggy door unless one of us pushes it open for him. We've tried the treat thing to bait him through, but he won't push through on his own. Even if we crack it open to coax him through, he won't do that either...

Any suggestions or will he just get it one day?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
He will probably just get it one day! If my Shih Tzu can get it any dog can. One of us would stay on the inside one on the outside. The person on the outside would hold a very good treat, the person inside would hold the door open a little bit and the person outside would bait her. The key to them learning is to let the door slide on there back as they go through. Keep doing this over and over again, then just start calling him through but still with the treat on the outside. We bought our dog door at moorepet.com IMO, the best quality dog doors. Edit: And just don't crack the door open, actually hold it right up for the first few times then let it slide on his back the next few times. That's what worked for me! Good luck

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
One day, it will happen =) And he will think it is the greatest thing.

Try getting a friend to go thru, maybe he will follow. Treats are good, try a hamburger =), calling him is good in a happy voice. Maybe take out the flap, and he will go thru without it. You can add it later. Or put the flap halfway up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the magnet (snapping noise) is what bothers him. He'll go through if I hold it open and then I'll let it slide on his back. He doesn't really like it; acts like the door is going to crush him. Maybe when he gets a little older, he'll go through the door. (Fingers crossed ;^))

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess has and uses her doggy door that leads into a concrete ground fully fenced in kennel with a roof over her head (and tarp up to block the wind and cold in the winter) lol. I feel with a doggy door security and safety is important :)
when we first put it in...we still let her out...by the door...but one day we all sat down to eat dinner and we see her walk away...and we heard her go through the doggy door...when she got back we practically had a party for her saying GOOD GIRL lol. :) I think if they have to go bad enough they will hop through it...and then just praise them :) that was my experience with it though :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts