Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elza sleeps on her comfy cushion/bed by our bed. This morning around 4a.m. she jumped up, walked around the room and started barking which was unusual.
I jumped off my bed, too. I got a hunch so opened the bedroom's door. Elza ran downstairs and a minute later came back to sleep again.
What I saw downstairs in the real morning was her loose stool, but she made it in her in-house doggy potty area:nicejob: Stink (yuck) but no mess;)
I'm pround of Elza:) Her inside house-training has been achieved.
If we didn't train her, we had to go out with her in minus 8 degree (Celsius). Considering her last night situation, I'm sure that she couldn't wait until I put my coat on which means.... disaster in a house!

How do you handle when your doberman calls for "Toilet! NOW!" at midnight when you sleep?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Devon has her moments also....it's scarey in the middle of the night. It's a different moan when she stands up in the middle of the bed it's almost like mom I'm protecting you.....then she jumps up and is walking quickly through the house as if to say hurry mom ....I have an emergency potty break!!! It's that look in her eyes............

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
the only time Odin really had to go I thought he was just trying to play me. He was whining and I kept telling him quite, but then...the runs. I cleaned it up and let him outside to finish. But other than that I make sure Odin goes outside one more time before I put him to bed and he hasn't woke me up since, he just sleeps through the night until morning and goes then.

Glad she woke you up so that you didn't have a huge mess to pick up in your bedroom and have to smell it the rest of the night ;)

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Devon has her moments also....it's scarey in the middle of the night. It's a different moan when she stands up in the middle of the bed it's almost like mom I'm protecting you.....then she jumps up and is walking quickly through the house as if to say hurry mom ....I have an emergency potty break!!! It's that look in her eyes............
Exactly!! Her eyes and moves tell everything, "Hurryyyyy!"
I thought I've become a doberman mom:)

the only time Odin really had to go I thought he was just trying to play me. He was whining and I kept telling him quite, but then...the runs. I cleaned it up and let him outside to finish. But other than that I make sure Odin goes outside one more time before I put him to bed and he hasn't woke me up since, he just sleeps through the night until morning and goes then.

Glad she woke you up so that you didn't have a huge mess to pick up in your bedroom and have to smell it the rest of the night ;)
Oh, you had a disastser once... Until Elza mastered the inside housetraining, she messed many many times. There was nothing but patience until she learned. This training is great helpful when the weather is bad or a dog is unable to walk (in the future or post surgery).

·
Registered
255 Posts
My favorite part of my house is that there is sliding glass door two feet from my bed. It's a quick unlock and open so Phoenix can run out in an emergency! But I do live in Florida so even if I had to walk him I wouldn't have to get ready for the cold lol it worked out well when we were in our puppy stages :)

·
Dobes stole my heart <3
3,418 Posts
every once in a while one of mine will have an emergency in the middle of the night. Most of the time its Nexus, as she had the intestines removed and she sometimes really has to go NOW! She is very patient, and she will come in the room repeatedly until one of us gets up, but there have been a couple times that I dont hear her and my husband simply doesnt want to wake up and take her out, well he ends up cleaning up her very neat messes in the morning. Most of the time she aims for the towel kept under her food dishes, odd I know but its her chosen spot, and only once or twice has she gone anywhere else and it was on the living room rug and he stepped in it when he went to open the blinds. That one she had woken me up but I think she didnt make it in time because I cleaned up a small mess on the towel in the kitchen, I had no idea she had gone in the living room too. We try to watch what snacks she gets, in regards to table food because we dont know what will upset her tummy.

Reactions: Elzajpn

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah has had a few accidents in the house in the middle of the night. If I think her tummy isnt feeling well I sleep on the couch so I can hear her ring her belll. Other than that though on normal occasions she will pace back and forth. Hubby then has to scare me half to death by saying loudly "HEY! Kyrah needs to go out!" Then in the morning I have to hear "didnt you hear her pacing back and forth?"

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm lucky and have a door to my deck/backyard in my bedroom ... but we did have a close call once - - in my sleepiness I didn't catch the "mooooooooooom I gottta go noooooooooow" urgency in the whine at first.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I will get nose pokes, repeated whining, and pacing around the house. No matter how warm and cozy i'am, I'll get up, and face the -20C lol even if it was a false alarm.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Our old girl is a good sleeper, on the bed...so if she starts to whine, she clearly needs out.
- usually if she needs to just pee...she will not stop whining, while laying down
- if she has to go bad (eg. take a crap)...she will stand up on the center of the bed (where she sleeps) and whine
We don't tell her to be quiet...just take her out, cause she is waking us up for only good reason.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see, some of you are lucky that they have a door/sliding door to access outside!
How about others living in a condo, let's say, on the 14th floor(lol).

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will get nose pokes, repeated whining, and pacing around the house. No matter how warm and cozy i'am, I'll get up, and face the -20C lol even if it was a false alarm.
You're such a brave person!!

Our old girl is a good sleeper, on the bed...so if she starts to whine, she clearly needs out.
- usually if she needs to just pee...she will not stop whining, while laying down
- if she has to go bad (eg. take a crap)...she will stand up on the center of the bed (where she sleeps) and whine
We don't tell her to be quiet...just take her out, cause she is waking us up for only good reason.
Right. Since Elza is my first dog ever, I'm impressed how smart a dog is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts