Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i posted the other day about our Dobie boy Max and his problem with his crate, we are currently working on that. He's now sleeping in his crate on a night, it's in our bedroom, but least he isn't in the bed. He even went into his cage by command, slowly ill admit and he wasnt happy about it... but after being told a few times he walked in all by himself, (for those that dont know, he really really really hates, well despises his crate) so im sooo pleased with that. We are also working on his time alone, hopefully stop him peeing everytime we leave him!

Anyway i was wondering if you guys had any advice, or words of wisdom or whatever. My boy is almost 9 month, 1 on June 29th, and growing so fast. He has been having on and off periods of pano since about 4 months of age, (yes we have him vet checked) anyway, i was hoping someone could tell me if there were any kind of holistic/herbal things i could give him to help his bones. Or anything with regards to changing diet, he is currently on a low protein puppy food. He doesn't cry when he walks he limps, but the odd night he will have a bad time of it and groan when he moves. He has it in his front left leg.

Now id like him to be more comfortable, because i have 1 VERY VERY lazy puppy! I'm unsure whether it's because the pano is knocking it out of him or whether he is just lazy. I've never known a pup like it. We have been training him since he came home at 8 weeks, and he does know basic commands, doesn't always listen to come but neither does the hubby!! Anyway we are going to start extra training classes next week. one to one, and were hoping to refresh him on the stuff that we dont use with him often with him day to day. Anyway i started off with his sit and down (lay down) which he knows and does... and he did all the usual paw and etc, but it seemed after less than 5 mins he just couldn't be bothered. Now he looked at histreats and i knew he wanted them, but he just didn't wanna move, and was rolling on his back like a boozed up couch potato. Writing this i'm thinking he hasn't been as greedy with his food either. Eating it but not in his usual im never gonna get fed again style. He's always lazy would sleep all dya if we let him, he doesn't even wanna move to go toilet, and doesn;t often have the typical dober play with our german shepherd bitch.

Anyway i'd be grateful for any advice/tips. Sorry if i've rambled, and for post length. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
Has he had a full vet work up, including a full thyroid panel run? He's young for that, but it's pretty unusual for a Doberman puppy to be that laid back.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Yeah, I'd wonder over the use of the word, "lazy."

Sounds like something is wrong. A lower drive Doberman puppy should still be much more active than that.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I agree with making sure everything is ok. I wish pano had slowed Flirt down. She just proceeded to eat the inside of the kennel run, chew the water pvc pipe and flood it...etc. :)

Reactions: Sam1491

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It normal for puppies to sleep/nap alot but they should still have energy when they are awake. Would deff do a vet check. Loss of interest and not wanting to move is not normal.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies... Well we are now making some changes with his little easy lifestyle.

1. He is sleeping in his crate on a night, admittedly the crates in our room, but he's in it all the same, and no whining. Last night he needed no coaxing at all. Straight in! 1 nil to mummy :)

2. No more sleeping all day on the couch, we have a very soft cushioned couch so where he lays he's kind of scrunched up and is always up and down. Now he has his blanket on the floor, he can stretch his long legs to his hearts content. This seems to be helping him with the limping!

3. We have started him a lower protein better for him adult food, mixing with his puppy food for now, but hoping it will slow his growth and again help with his pano and limping. There isn't half as much choice of good food here in the UK.

4. Playtime, we are encouraging lots and lots of play time with us, im starting to think that before he was spending most of his energy tormenting our german shepherd. I also think the pano knocks it out of him, on walks he would run around like crazy. He just doesn't at home. Anyway he's taken well to the one on one play sessions. Usually its with the GSD involved. Also the better quality food should keep his energy up!

5. I said in my other post about his peeing whenever we leave him. We have taken advice and brushed up on things we were already doing with him, and guess what, he hasn't peed for the past couple of days.

6. We are gonna start some puppy classes, his pano seems to be settling so he's good to go. Most in UK think we are indecent to take him to classes whilst limping, they don't understand about dobies and pano. Hence us just training him at home! Also about 45 mins from us there are mini activity classes, sort of agility but not in a serious way. I think he will benefit from these majorly. So i'm making enquiries. These sessions can either be one to one or group based.

I think i may have overstated his lazyness he is a laid back puppy. He does have his moment where the house is like wacky warehouse. I think i worry. I expected a tearawy, rogue of a pup. He just isn't like that! He is a fantastic pup and 90% of the time eats like he will never be fed again

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh he likes to shred stuff to. anything hollow hell tear or anything rope. so we stopped getting these. do you think we should get him some just for him to shred up? just cause he enjoys doing it?

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
oh he likes to shred stuff to. anything hollow hell tear or anything rope. so we stopped getting these. do you think we should get him some just for him to shred up? just cause he enjoys doing it?
No, I wouldn't. That's a risk for intestinal obstruction.

Reactions: Adara

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured that would be the case, thats why we stopped getting them and threw ones he had away. He has kongs, hard rubber type rings and bones. We also have a towel we tied knots in... He likes to play fetch with it! Well we play mummy throws it, Max runs after it, shakes himself and that like a mad man. Then comes back to me to play a little soft tug. He isn't left alone with it though as he would shred it!

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah is laid back but as a puppy she had endless amounts of energy. She would calm nicely but could go, go, go also.

Kyrah loves to shred stuffies and ropes. She doesnt swallow the stuffing or rope but I still supervise. If you are going to supervise then I would allow it as a reward. You could use that to your advantage and use as a motivation in training.

·
Puppies pushover
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your reply. I am going to get him some real cheap toys tonight. For some supervised shredding i will give him them when he does a totally uncoaxed come :)

With regards to his lazyness, we are visiting the vets this evening 5.30 UK time. I wasn't happy with the vet we saw last night as he just said hes's been an awkward pup due to our bitch (shes due her heat and no we aren't breeding). So fingers crossed its nothing bad, but fingers crossed they know like us its something.

I noticed today he has like a yellowish/white pus only a tiny bit at the end of his Mr bits, and he does quite often have his Mr bits out! Is this due to age or anything? I'm sure the pus can't be... This will be mentioned to the vet also...

Last night on his walk he ran and ran and ran after our GSD, slept through the night, and today we have been encouraging him to do more play, but he isn't eating. :( I do hope they find whats wrong!

Reactions: Herb2relax
1 - 13 of 13 Posts