Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eli is miserable. I took him in last night because he has eczema under his thighs and on the skin low on his belly right in front of his penis. He licked and scratched and now he has a staph infection. He stinks to high heaven and he has dandruff. I am miserable too, something this fall is blooming in the high desert. My doctor said it is the worst year he has ever seen. Eli's vet says he has seen literally 2 times the amount of allergy symptoms in dogs this fall in practice as last year.

So, Eli got a shot of steriod. He has pills, he has antibiotics, he has eye drops (yes goopy eyes) and he has a medicated shampoo I'm supposed to use twice a month that I asked for.

I am going to my doctor to see about testing and shots for myself. I haven't experienced allergies like this since I was a kid. I had 5 years of allergy shots then and it changed my life.

The vet said it's about 700.00 for the testing and then the injections are around 85% effective. I am wondering if I should do it? Eli has had skin problems on and off, when younger he would get staph on his chin etc. Has anyone had the testing and desenitization injections for their dog? If so did it work? I wonder if swimming in the pool this summer kept the allergies at bay and now that he isn't swimming daily to knock the pollen off his skin if that is why they are happening now. Of course there is no way of knowing without testing what is the problem but it is obvious something is. Well, gotta run and get a kleenex. LOL. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
Allergies are horrible! I have them all year. I did the whole allergy shot thing as a kid and it didn't help that much. Can I ask what he eats? I know a few dogs that can't do chicken and once they had no chicken they were ok. Also I think dr dodds does some kind of testing. Check her website.

Is your pool chlorinated?

ETA

It is a food sensitivity test. It might be worth a shot.

http://www.hemopet.org

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Lori, last year I had to do the steriod shots, antibiotics, and baths. This year, worse than last, I decided to fight allergies nutritionally and it worked. No steroid shots, which actually do harm to your dogs immune system, antibiotics, too, no antibiotics, one bath with betadine rinse for staph. He really could have used one more bath. All I did was feed him an only fish kibble of Natures Variety Instinct Salmon and Acana Pacifica AND added one can of sardines a day, half before morning meal, the other half before evening meal. I fed before the meal to help prevent fish breath. Use the sardines packed in water, olive oil or tomatoes. Drain off extra juices to lower salt content. Also shop around to find the lowest salt as that can vary a lot I have found. Fresh should be even better. You will be able to tell a difference in three days with reduced itching. The itching and skin health keep getting better. I now am only giving him one sardine aday, 4 to a can. Read thread, Sardines,Good for Allergies.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
On phone and ran out of room.:( The swimming was helping by washing off the pollens. You can rinse him with a hose or wipe him off with a damp wash cloth or baby wipe, allergy or scent free. Wash cloth is probably better, but you have to watch what you wash it in, also his bed, your clothes, carpets, floors, basically anything he comes into contact with. You should also be giving him probiotics when he is on antibiotics as they kill the good stomach, intestinal flora and you need to replace them. You can buy probiotics or you can also give plain Greek yogurt or kefir. You need to give a heaping tablespoon with each meal and for a week or two after you finish the antibiotics. I made it thru this long hot summer without having to take Parker to the vet with his allergies.:)And he was itching every step before I started the sardines.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I did everything possible with Stormy. Her vet was pretty certain it wasn't a food allergy.

It started with steroids, but she turned into a hairless blob and she was only 3, so I needed something safer.

She went on Atopica and that worked really well. But it was REALLY expensive.

So we decided to go for the allergy testing and injections.

She only took the shots for just over a year I think. She has a rare episode with an itchy paw once a year or so, but she is otherwise fantastic.

(She was allergic to things that could not be removed from her environment)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Here is the Sardines, Good for Allergies link: http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/58536-sardines-good-allergies.html and the article about sardines written by a canine nutritionist: Sardines :: A Super Hero FOOD FOR DOGS by Diane Jansey

Couldn't post these before as I was posting from my phone.

I just reread you post and you state Eli has eczema. That might take a little longer to tell a difference but it still shouldn't take too long. Oh, the sardines helps goopy eyes trememdously, too.:) Read what others have to say on the thread. It is the best little know discovery in a long time for me!!!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll try adding some sardines, carefully, as I have to manage his propensity towards pancretitis. I think he is okay eating sardines though as I fed them to him when he was younger. If this doesn't go away or it comes back like this next year I'm going to consider the testing and shots. Jenny, he eats Acana limited diet Ranchlands. I don't think it's the food but if this goes on I'll have him tested and hopefully get some answers. Emily after this round of steroids if he needs anything else I'll see about Atopica. I've never heard of it.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ask your vet about the sardines if he has pancreas issues. How much he can have...

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good lord he is a sensitive doggie my Eli...*sigh* Yeah, I'm afraid to give him anything but the food that works at this point. I don't think one or two a day would hurt him but I'll run it by the vet first. Thanks Linda.

Ask your vet about the sardines if he has pancreas issues. How much he can have...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I was able to keep Rexy's seasonal allergies under control in GA with a careful diet, daily dose of Claritin nondrowsy during the bad months, hosing and/or spritz with dilute vinegar water solution after being outside when the pollen count was really high. (Rexy took 1 claritin nondrowsy 2x day...even thought the human dose is once a day. He was taking 9 benadryl daily prior to that with no benefits seen at all! Talk about a different metabolism.)

I was determined not to do steroids. Once he's had a steroid shot, you have to wait a certain time period before any allergy testing because the steroids will affect the results. I'd recommend you be sure to ask the allergist vet before you go in and spend the money on allergy testing.
Also, do the symptoms go away once winter hits? I'd almost keep a chart this year to see when his symptoms get the worst, and then next year be proactive, and if he needs it....do the testing then. You'd have 12 months of careful study to go with.

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. Nothing like a scratching miserable dog to make you feel miserable yourself!

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Claritin huh? I have that. I tried benadryl and saw no difference either. I will give him claritin after this round of steroids. I did start a chart, funny you should say that. I tend to think his are seasonal but the chart will really help determine that. I'm not happy using the steroid either but felt at this point I had to, he had licked to bleeding under his belly :( . I'd much rather keep it manageable and be more proactive. I think the fact that my new house is mostly carpeted doesn't help. It doesn't help me either. I have plans to do the flooring but we got the pool and yard done first. I think carpet is an allergy persons nightmare.

I was able to keep Rexy's seasonal allergies under control in GA with a careful diet, daily dose of Claritin nondrowsy during the bad months, hosing and/or spritz with dilute vinegar water solution after being outside when the pollen count was really high. (Rexy took 1 claritin nondrowsy 2x day...even thought the human dose is once a day. He was taking 9 benadryl daily prior to that with no benefits seen at all! Talk about a different metabolism.)

I was determined not to do steroids. Once he's had a steroid shot, you have to wait a certain time period before any allergy testing because the steroids will affect the results. I'd recommend you be sure to ask the allergist vet before you go in and spend the money on allergy testing.
Also, do the symptoms go away once winter hits? I'd almost keep a chart this year to see when his symptoms get the worst, and then next year be proactive, and if he needs it....do the testing then. You'd have 12 months of careful study to go with.

Good luck and I hope he feels better soon. Nothing like a scratching miserable dog to make you feel miserable yourself!

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
If you use claritin, use nondrowsy only. They can't handle the other... and I used the generic brand since we went through 2 a day.

·
Super Moderator
GOT's Kal-Drogo The Horseman (Drogo),TKI,TKN, CGC, 7 years; RIP Baron, Miley, Dax, Lonesome, Baron 1
18,343 Posts
Lori, I did the allergy tests with Baron as he was getting this awful roughness just around his eyes on and off for about 2 years. This spring was the worst and the benadryl and/or antibiotics did not help. The dermatologist we went to was 99.9% positive it was not food. Turned out he has severe allergies to almost every grass out there, severe allergies to maple and walnut trees, and a lot of minor allergies to lots of other things. He now gets an allergy shot every 21 days, a Zyrtec (non drowsey) once a day, and Zyrtec eye drops once a day. This seems to be keeping it under control. The allergy tests were $700 plus the allergy serum is about $250 (last about 9 months). Not cheap to have allergies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts