1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
I had a friend that was spraying it around there house and there pit bull got some on him and it made his fur fall out. It took a while to figure out what was doing it but it turned out that it was causing him fur lose. Im interested to see whats in the pet formula. This is def good information I would have never thought it would have caused so many other problems. Thanks for the heads up ill def have to find some other freshener.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
I have always wondered about that stuff, been meaning to research it myself.

I know so many people who spray that stuff every where.

i refuse to use it and any of those other 'air fresheners'.

way too many chemical scents being sprayed around ourselves and our pets, not good.

toxin buildups......so very hard on our and our pets livers.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
The Canine Sense of Smell - Whole Dog Journal Article

"dogs have much more surface area within their nasal cavities, and this area is well supplied with sensory cells – estimates of the total number of these cells vary and depend on the breed, but they have been cited as somewhere between 125 million and several times that. (This compares with estimates of human numbers that are in the 5- to 10-million-cell range.)

In addition, the dog has devoted a tremendous amount of his brain tissue to olfactory cells. (Some estimates allocate one-third of the dog’s brain to the chore of scenting.) All this adds up to a canine scenter that has thousands to millions of times the ability of his human counterpart."

if we spray stuff around the we can smell strongly.......just imagine the strength of these chemical scents hitting your dogs senses.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a friend that was spraying it around there house and there pit bull got some on him and it made his fur fall out. It took a while to figure out what was doing it but it turned out that it was causing him fur lose. Im interested to see whats in the pet formula. This is def good information I would have never thought it would have caused so many other problems. Thanks for the heads up ill def have to find some other freshener.

The pet formula is actually the one Odin reacted to. I bought the stuff because Odin was stinking up the couch, now we just don't let him lay on them. It took me awhile to figure out what exactly it was that he was allergic to.

·
Banned
494 Posts
The pet formula is actually the one Odin reacted to. I bought the stuff because Odin was stinking up the couch, now we just don't let him lay on them. It took me awhile to figure out what exactly it was that he was allergic to.
Washable slipcoves are the greatest thing if you allow your dogs on the furniture! I order mine from Slipcovershop.com Custom furniture slipcovers and readymade futon covers..

You can do things like order matching custom-made covers for the cushions, thus giving a more tailored look. And you can wash just the seat covers without having to wash the entire slipcover sometimes.

Helps protect your couch, easy to wash, but still looks good! : )

·
dobie fanatic
149 Posts
Wow thats no good im going to have to stop using it my boy hasnt come into contact with it yet. So better to get rid of it now then to find out later he is allergic to it. Im really surprised that this is such an issue the company dropped the ball on this one big time. Have you compared the labels to see if there are any questionable chemicals in it? Ones that have been known to cause problems in dogs.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thats no good im going to have to stop using it my boy hasnt come into contact with it yet. So better to get rid of it now then to find out later he is allergic to it. Im really surprised that this is such an issue the company dropped the ball on this one big time. Have you compared the labels to see if there are any questionable chemicals in it? Ones that have been known to cause problems in dogs.
I have not compared labels yet, he also reacted to the air fresheners that you use to freshen up the bathroom. We have just removed all type of things like that.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Good post, for health awareness problems.

Swiffers for floor cleaning, I heard has some nasty chemicals / dogs can absorb through their pads on their paws.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Good post, for health awareness problems.

Swiffers for floor cleaning, I heard has some nasty chemicals / dogs can absorb through their pads on their paws.
you are correct on the floor cleaner.........several friends had their dogs at ER clinic and they traced it back to floors..............I clean with bleach and water..........

I burn candles no air freshner in my house...........

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
you are correct on the floor cleaner.........several friends had their dogs at ER clinic and they traced it back to floors..............I clean with bleach and water..........

I burn candles no air freshner in my house...........
^^^^+1...we do too / 100% pure beeswax, privately made by a local bee-keeper, with 400 hives.
And the pure liquid honey we also buy, doesn't crystalize with age (not like made in China, with the pollen removed and commonly sold).
- have the same jar for several months, as runny as the day we got it

The Brilliant Beeswax Candle: Natural Air Purifiers and More: The Brilliant Beeswax Candle: Natural Air Purifiers and More | Care2 Healthy Living

Beeswax candles offer a honey scent, a golden flame, and the longest, cleanest burn of any candle.

But there is much more benefit to beeswax candles compared to paraffin candles that are made from polluted petroleum sludge, or even vegetable-based candles that are a big improvement over paraffin: When beeswax candles burn, they clean the air like a great, natural, air purifier, and they are a link to a deep spiritual belief system.

For each pound of beeswax provided by a honey bee, the bee visits 33 million flowers. It eats 10 pounds of honey. It secretes the beeswax from its abdomen, and then uses the wax to construct a honeycomb. Beekeepers recover the wax from the comb by heating it in water where the melted wax rises to the surface and can be removed.

Many have written about the wisdom of the beehive, and how burning beeswax puts a person in a special mood of reverence. It is easy to imagine why, given that millions of flowers have been visited and pollinated to make any one beeswax candle!

Healing and spiritual powers have been attributed to all products of the beehive. Honey has always been considered holy, a gift from God, and endowed with esoteric and mystical qualities. The Path of Pollen, or bee shamanism, is a calling into the secrets of healing, longevity, and spiritual powers of bee products, including honey, wax, and pollen. The Hebrew word for bee is dbure, meaning word, with the message being that the bee brings the Divine word. Specifically beeswax candles are designated for the Christian Roman Mass.

To burn a beeswax candle is to enter into the wisdom world of the bee, and you enter, too, into a world of benefits from the bee. Compare this to breathing toxic fumes from paraffin candles! (For more on toxic candles, see Candle Soot.

Cleaning the Air by Burning Beeswax Candles
Air contains billions of electrically charged particles called ions. Ions act upon our capacity to absorb and utilize oxygen, and therefore cause powerful effects on our lives and well being. The ions in the air can affect our mood, energy and health. Negative ions actually feel good. Too many positive ions make us feel bad and they are loaded down with pollution and allergens that are drawn to them and suspended in the air. Negative ions, on the other hand, remove the pollution and allergens from positive ions, allowing them to drop harmlessly to the ground.

Beeswax candle fuel is the only fuel that actually produces negative ions, which not only helps remove pollution from the air but increases the ratio of negative ions to positive ions, the ideal and necessary scenario for clean air.

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn't exactly what the bees produce, according to testing done exclusively for Food Safety News.

The results show that the pollen frequently has been filtered out of products labeled "honey."

The removal of these microscopic particles from deep within a flower would make the nectar flunk the quality standards set by most of the world's food safety agencies.

The food safety divisions of the World Health Organization, the European Commission and dozens of others also have ruled that without pollen there is no way to determine whether the honey came from legitimate and safe sources.

In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration says that any product that's been ultra-filtered and no longer contains pollen isn't honey. However, the FDA isn't checking honey sold here to see if it contains pollen.

Ultra filtering is a high-tech procedure where honey is heated, sometimes watered down and then forced at high pressure through extremely small filters to remove pollen, which is the only foolproof sign identifying the source of the honey. It is a spin-off of a technique refined by the Chinese, who have illegally dumped tons of their honey - some containing illegal antibiotics - on the U.S. market for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have always wondered about that stuff, been meaning to research it myself.

I know so many people who spray that stuff every where.

i refuse to use it and any of those other 'air fresheners'.

way too many chemical scents being sprayed around ourselves and our pets, not good.

toxin buildups......so very hard on our and our pets livers.
Same like you I avoid using air fresheners too. Sprays now a days contain a lot of chemicals and i find them too strong. My little ones are always sneezing whenever we use air fresheners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^^^^+1...we do too / 100% pure beeswax, privately made by a local bee-keeper, with 400 hives.
And the pure liquid honey we also buy, doesn't crystalize with age (not like made in China, with the pollen removed and commonly sold).
- have the same jar for several months, as runny as the day we got it

The Brilliant Beeswax Candle: Natural Air Purifiers and More: The Brilliant Beeswax Candle: Natural Air Purifiers and More | Care2 Healthy Living

Beeswax candles offer a honey scent, a golden flame, and the longest, cleanest burn of any candle.

But there is much more benefit to beeswax candles compared to paraffin candles that are made from polluted petroleum sludge, or even vegetable-based candles that are a big improvement over paraffin: When beeswax candles burn, they clean the air like a great, natural, air purifier, and they are a link to a deep spiritual belief system.

For each pound of beeswax provided by a honey bee, the bee visits 33 million flowers. It eats 10 pounds of honey. It secretes the beeswax from its abdomen, and then uses the wax to construct a honeycomb. Beekeepers recover the wax from the comb by heating it in water where the melted wax rises to the surface and can be removed.

Many have written about the wisdom of the beehive, and how burning beeswax puts a person in a special mood of reverence. It is easy to imagine why, given that millions of flowers have been visited and pollinated to make any one beeswax candle!

Healing and spiritual powers have been attributed to all products of the beehive. Honey has always been considered holy, a gift from God, and endowed with esoteric and mystical qualities. The Path of Pollen, or bee shamanism, is a calling into the secrets of healing, longevity, and spiritual powers of bee products, including honey, wax, and pollen. The Hebrew word for bee is dbure, meaning word, with the message being that the bee brings the Divine word. Specifically beeswax candles are designated for the Christian Roman Mass.

To burn a beeswax candle is to enter into the wisdom world of the bee, and you enter, too, into a world of benefits from the bee. Compare this to breathing toxic fumes from paraffin candles! (For more on toxic candles, see Candle Soot.

Cleaning the Air by Burning Beeswax Candles
Air contains billions of electrically charged particles called ions. Ions act upon our capacity to absorb and utilize oxygen, and therefore cause powerful effects on our lives and well being. The ions in the air can affect our mood, energy and health. Negative ions actually feel good. Too many positive ions make us feel bad and they are loaded down with pollution and allergens that are drawn to them and suspended in the air. Negative ions, on the other hand, remove the pollution and allergens from positive ions, allowing them to drop harmlessly to the ground.

Beeswax candle fuel is the only fuel that actually produces negative ions, which not only helps remove pollution from the air but increases the ratio of negative ions to positive ions, the ideal and necessary scenario for clean air.

Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey | Food Safety News

More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn't exactly what the bees produce, according to testing done exclusively for Food Safety News.

The results show that the pollen frequently has been filtered out of products labeled "honey."

The removal of these microscopic particles from deep within a flower would make the nectar flunk the quality standards set by most of the world's food safety agencies.

The food safety divisions of the World Health Organization, the European Commission and dozens of others also have ruled that without pollen there is no way to determine whether the honey came from legitimate and safe sources.

In the U.S., the Food and Drug Administration says that any product that's been ultra-filtered and no longer contains pollen isn't honey. However, the FDA isn't checking honey sold here to see if it contains pollen.

Ultra filtering is a high-tech procedure where honey is heated, sometimes watered down and then forced at high pressure through extremely small filters to remove pollen, which is the only foolproof sign identifying the source of the honey. It is a spin-off of a technique refined by the Chinese, who have illegally dumped tons of their honey - some containing illegal antibiotics - on the U.S. market for years.
I totally agree with this. This is what I have in mind to share in this topic. Your information is almost 100% complete. I just wanted to add few more. For health conscious out there, instead of spraying or using any kind of air freshener with strong chemicals, I would suggest you to burn beeswax candles instead. I find it healthier for my lil ones as it has natural components produced in the bee hive of honey bees. And I think this is safe as well for your pets. When these candles burn, they serve like an air purifier as well. I'm loving its natural sweet-honey fragrance.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Odin is allergic to Febreze so I looked it up and came across this thread, Odin reacts to it by breaking out in hives. Thought that some people might appreciate this type of info. I don't know if they changed the formula or not, I am still doing some research on it.

Please help, anyone have their dogs react to Febreze?? Seizures, allergi reaction? - PurseForum
Febreze or anything like that has always been instant migraine, for me.

I would never spray crap like that in my house, esp. with sensitive pets.

It's--quite literally--a pain, to be a human with so many bad reactions and sensitivities, but I now wonder if I might be saving my pets some grief, due to my own problems with chemicals.

Reactions: Anja'sMom
1 - 16 of 16 Posts