Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ultimately I am aware that the cost of owning a doberman is high, especially if you get them as a puppy. I'm wondering if you guys could give me a thorough list of all the health tests that should be done on a pup to make sure they are in good health. I expect that reputable breeders will taker care of certain things, but just want to make sure I don't look over anything important! I do plan on picking up health insurance for my pup asap, still keeping an eye out for the best company to go through.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The necessity of health testing applies more to the parents (and grandparents and aunts and uncles, etc.) of a puppy than to the puppy itself. A puppy's vonWillebrand status should be determined, unless it is known by parentage. Aside from that (and maybe testing for the gene associated with cardiomyopathy), the going-over that one would do with any pup is sufficient. The kinds of things that one would worry about specifically with a Doberman (DCM, Wobbler's disease, liver disease, hypothyroidism) are not the kinds of things which would appear or be able to be diagnosed in a young pup.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
For the pup, a vWD dna Vet Gen test only if pup could be affected, and cardio dna test, optional and mainly for research at this point unless breeding. Parents, all yearly: holter, checks for arrithmyias, and echo, checks for heart enlargement, thryroid, checks for hypothyroid, liver, for CAH or chronic active hepatitis, CERF of eyes(think thats yearly or so). One lifetime check of: dna test, for a specific cardio gene, vWD status, this will tell you whether your pup needs to be tested, hip dysplasia and elbows. You need to see hard copies of these test results or you can check the OFA database for hips and elbows and some other tests. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Just regular health checkups for your pup. Check out Dr Jean Dodds Vaccination Protocol to see what shots to give. Be careful and dont let your vet over vaccinate your pup. Dont give yearly booster shots of core vaccines so many try to sell you AND ask then when your pup can start to receive the 3 yr rabies instead of the yearly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, and as for annual vet visits? Eye and teeth checkup? Heartworm vaccination, stuff like that?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Alright, and as for annual vet visits? Eye and teeth checkup? Heartworm vaccination, stuff like that?

My dogs are raw fed, have glorious teeth and have never needed any dental cleanings so I can't help you in that department.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say "eye checkups" unless you are referring to CERF testing?

The only vaccinations I do after initial puppy vaccinations are rabies vaccinations every three years as required by law so I can't say what yearly vaccinations would run. Heartworm testing for me is $38 a dog unless one of the clubs near me is offering a clinic. Then you have the cost of the actual heartworm preventative like Interceptor which is around $50 for 6 months.

During the 8 years Harper was with us we spent at least $8000 in vet care. A good chunk of that was since January of this year when he was diagnosed with DCM. For the most part he was extremely healthy his entire life, but he did have a bowel obstruction as a young adult from eating a toy and he had a couple of bouts of staph when he was younger as well. He was what I consider a low maintenance dog in the vet care department as we weren't always having to run to the vet for something.

That's just for ONE dog and I'd say that's probably the average cost of vet care for a Doberman. And that doesn't include the cost of food, toys (Harper had a major Cuz addiction) collars (a boy has to have all the latest fashions!), leashes, beds (one can never have enough beds!), blankets, coats, supplements, etc. I don't even want to know how much money I've spent on the above.

That being said, I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 4theLoveofDobe

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
OMG! jurt lost a long detailed post. This is going to be curt. I use Ivomec, an injectable cattle/hog wormer, that is used to prevent heartworms. You can buy a 50 ml/cc bottle at a Farmes Co-OP or livestock feed store for less than $40. Get the bottle with longest expiration date. The dosage is 1/10 cc per 10 lbs bodyweight or 1 cc per 100 lbs squirted and absorbed onto food ONCE A MONTH. You can use less, but thats what I use. It kills heartworm microfilaria, round and hookworms, fleas and ticks. I havent wormed a dog in close to 20 yrs except for tapeworms once. Buy a plastic syringe to draw ivomec out and squirt on kibble. Store in box out of light. Doesnt need to be refridgerated. Normal puppy checkups when getting vaccinations will be fine and then at 1 yr start a yearly heartworm check for breakthrus, just the smart thing to do. At around 2 yrs add CBC, complete blood panel. You can also do heart holter and echos yearly starting at two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts