Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I live in the UK and am interested in owning a dobe, we have restrictions in place here specific to cropping/docking and so the all-natural look is now the norm.

I was wondering how owners of all natural dobes find their tales, i.e. are they prone to swiping or bashing things when excited and do they require any special attention other than a smooth down when grooming? Reason I ask this is that there doesn’t appear to be a standard definition for the tale and they do appear to differ from dog to dog in that some curl over and others don’t!

Also it seems that the breeders that I have spoken to so far do not remove dew claws as understandably this can also cause undue pain for a little pup. Do dew cars require any special attention other than a trim every few weeks along with the rest of the feet?

Funny I’ve owned dogs previously but never with a tail or dew claws! The more I look at the all-natural dobe though the more I like it, they look a little less menacing and more regal imho!

Tim

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi and welcome :) I obviously own a doberman who is cropped and docked, but from what I know a lot of people who have natural dobes are very happy with them. I would be concerned about the tail only for the fact that I've seen dogs with similiar tails have issues with bleeding and sores at places like a boarding kennel. We had a dog with a dobe type tail who would bang it against the concrete and end up splitting it open. I'm sure the tails can also knock things over, but let's face it...dobermans of any kind knock things over ;)

Dewclaws...I've seen some dogs be perfectly fine with them as long as they are trimmed. I had a sheltie though who had dangling dew claws and once one got completely ripped out while he was playing in a field. It was HORRIBLE and I'm sure much more painful then getting them snipped as a newborn. If the claws are close to the body and easy to trim I think it would be okay though. Personally I just find it easier if they are removed completely after the ordeal with my last dog.

·
Small Handful of Woman
1,783 Posts
Hi all,

I live in the UK and am interested in owning a dobe, we have restrictions in place here specific to cropping/docking and so the all-natural look is now the norm.

Tim
Hi Tim. I just wanted to comment on this statement. I was talking to a couple from England the other day and told them I had a Doberman. They exclaimed about how lovely Doberman's are, and the lady had a cousin with one.

When I mentioned the cropping/docking the gentleman said that he wasn't even aware that people cropped/docked Dobermans at all!

I was surprised, since most people over here seem to identify them by the cropped/docked appearance.

I've heard of issues with "happy tail." There was a thread on here about how one owner decided to amputate after having lots of problems. You might want to search it out, or someone more tech-savvy might be able to post a link.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Timmyr

·
Registered
975 Posts
For what it is worth my 4.5 yr old male has no problems with his dew claws to date. I have noticed that the dewclaws appear very firm and tight to his leg and I have not had any problems with them. In general there has not been problems with his tail. He does not wag it like a lab but it is more like the royal wave just kind of wags so far back and forth if that makes sense. I have had him whack it turning corners and when he jumps out of the car he has whacked me in the face but there has not been injuries to it resulting from this.
I speak to numerous people in Sweden who have had the tails for quite a long time and they have not had much to concern them about them.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome :) I obviously own a doberman who is cropped and docked, but from what I know a lot of people who have natural dobes are very happy with them. I would be concerned about the tail only for the fact that I've seen dogs with similiar tails have issues with bleeding and sores at places like a boarding kennel. We had a dog with a dobe type tail who would bang it against the concrete and end up splitting it open. I'm sure the tails can also knock things over, but let's face it...dobermans of any kind knock things over ;)

Dewclaws...I've seen some dogs be perfectly fine with them as long as they are trimmed. I had a sheltie though who had dangling dew claws and once one got completely ripped out while he was playing in a field. It was HORRIBLE and I'm sure much more painful then getting them snipped as a newborn. If the claws are close to the body and easy to trim I think it would be okay though. Personally I just find it easier if they are removed completely after the ordeal with my last dog.
Hi Olivia,

Thankyou for the info, guess I will not have a choice in the matter however it is interesting to hear about the potential pitfalls so that I can try to avoid them with my own dog. Your boy looks stunning btw, you must be really proud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tim. I just wanted to comment on this statement. I was talking to a couple from England the other day and told them I had a Doberman. They exclaimed about how lovely Doberman's are, and the lady had a cousin with one.

When I mentioned the cropping/docking the gentleman said that he wasn't even aware that people cropped/docked Dobermans at all!

I was surprised, since most people over here seem to identify them by the cropped/docked appearance.

I've heard of issues with "happy tail." There was a thread on here about how one owner decided to amputate after having lots of problems. You might want to search it out, or someone more tech-savvy might be able to post a link.

Good luck! :)
Thanks for the response, yes cropped ears especially are not a familiar sight here in the UK...I grew up with Dobes some 20+ years ago and even then they were docked but never cropped.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For what it is worth my 4.5 yr old male has no problems with his dew claws to date. I have noticed that the dewclaws appear very firm and tight to his leg and I have not had any problems with them. In general there has not been problems with his tail. He does not wag it like a lab but it is more like the royal wave just kind of wags so far back and forth if that makes sense. I have had him whack it turning corners and when he jumps out of the car he has whacked me in the face but there has not been injuries to it resulting from this.
I speak to numerous people in Sweden who have had the tails for quite a long time and they have not had much to concern them about them.
Hope that helps.
very helpful thanks for your post.

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I've not had any issue with Lexi's tail, aside from very occassionally hitting things on my lower tables. She doesn't excessively wag it though. If I notice her banging it off the wall or something I just move her away from it.

She also still has her dew claws, just keep them trimmed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For what it is worth my 4.5 yr old male has no problems with his dew claws to date. I have noticed that the dewclaws appear very firm and tight to his leg and I have not had any problems with them.
This is a very good observation. I have seen many a dew claws ripped off by the environment but it has mostly been on dogs with loose dews that stick off the leg.

If the tail is thin like a greyhounds then they will be more susceptible to injury that can impact the dogs spine as well. However, the thicker tails seem to hold up much better. I would definitely consider that when looking at my potential pup, especially if they are little fireballs that like to bulldoze. :D

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Hey Tim!

I own an au natural dobe (obviously!) and I see hundreds of them at shows every weekend. Out of all the dogs I've known and seen, I've only ever seen one which had trouble with it and unfortunately had to be amputated at about 3/4 years old. Dobe tails tend to be fairly curly, so they're neatly carried over the dogs back and dont really cause an issue. The dogs I've heard about with tail issues tend to have much larger, thicker tails and tend to be stronger. Other breeds tend to have problems (great danes, whippets ect) but not really dobes.

Regarding the dew claws again I've never had any problems :)

Cropping has been banned in the UK for over 100 years.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Tails seem to come in varieties. My natural girl has a tight curl to her tail and it never bashes anything. Doesn't clear tables, doesn't hit me in the leg, no problems. A friend has a natural girl who has a more sabre tail. It does knock stuff off low tables, does hit the legs when it wags. I like my curly tail thanks.

Dew claws, I have two with dew claws and have had no problem with them. They get trimmed with the other nails. The only time I don't like dew claws is when my dogs jump on me. The dews can scratch worse than the others it seems.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I am on my second all natural dobe. I have never had an issue with their tales, never a tail injury, never had issues with it in the house with knocking stuff off tables, etc. My dogs typically carry their tails over their back or just resting down between their back legs. The more excited mine get the more their tails curve over their backs.

My first all natural girl had a very whip like tail and my current male has a very wide tail more like a lab.

All my dogs have dewclaws as well with never any issue either.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hello Tim,

I also have a natural Doberdude and honestly I've never had any issues with his tail. Doesn't require any extra grooming although randomly his hairs on the tip of it are like twice as long as the rest of his fur and they spiral into this cute little point but Odin has a zipper nose and cow licks and swirlies all over him so that may just be another Odin qwerk. Never really been whipped by it either, even when he is really excited it doesn't wag in big arcs it seems to be more rapid and a tighter arc, if that makes sense?

As for the dew claw the only issue I have with that is that I am on the receiving end of it when playing so I have had more problems(scratches that HURT) then Odin ever has!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thankyou everybody for your feedback, we have two young boys and so it is good to know that they are unlikely to get swiped with an excited tale...sure there will lots of loving licks for them instead lol!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
I am on my second all natural dobe. I have never had an issue with their tales, never a tail injury, never had issues with it in the house with knocking stuff off tables, etc. My dogs typically carry their tails over their back or just resting down between their back legs. The more excited mine get the more their tails curve over their backs.
My experiences exactly with both of the natural girls we've had.

Never had any dew claw problems, and most of our dogs had their dew claws (removing them in NZ outside of show breeders seems uncommon from what I have seen)

·
nutsaboutmydobes
2,122 Posts
Doesn't require any extra grooming although randomly his hairs on the tip of it are like twice as long as the rest of his fur and they spiral into this cute little point !
My first two had tails & the tip of theirs were like that too.

OP, I never had any issues with their tails on a day to day basis, though Eddie used to like to chase round in circles after it. It wasn't an OCD thing, just a big game. He never caught it but he had great fun trying. :D

Does anyone else have a dobe with a tail that likes to chase it?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
My first two had tails & the tip of theirs were like that too.

OP, I never had any issues with their tails on a day to day basis, though Eddie used to like to chase round in circles after it. It wasn't an OCD thing, just a big game. He never caught it but he had great fun trying. :D

Does anyone else have a dobe with a tail that likes to chase it?
Hehe, we've never had that, but when Rupert was a puppy he would grab Tobey's tail and pull to make him play with him :roflmao: Along with biting his face, pulling his ears, grabbing his ruff, barking in his face and nibbling on his paws.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
ive never had a dewclaw problem with any doberman and ive had multiples with dews. but as others said, most dobermans have very tight, smaller dew claws. dogs with large loose ones have the biggest problem.

cherrybombs tail is carried high and typically curled over her back. she wags it, but it doesnt hit anything (except she has hit me in the face when im leaning down, and THAT hurts). i love her tail and cant wait for another one with a full tail!

·
Boss with those Doberboys
120 Posts
All 4 of ours have/had dewclaws as long as they are clipped like the others then not a problem. (sometimes painful for us but never a problem for the dobes)

Although that said, Homer never needed his clipped as he chewed them and kept them short himself :nicejob:

Reactions: Darkevs
1 - 20 of 20 Posts