1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Well, I flagged the ad as Fraud, which it is.

You'd think it would be easy to find a "report fraud" thing on the AKC website. That's what I get for assuming. There is a Puppy Buyers Beward page, on which it says
Anyone who has experienced a dog-related scam should report it to their local authorities as well as the AKC Customer Service department at 919-233-9767, and the Better Business Bureau (United States and Canada BBB Consumer and Business Reviews, Reports, Ratings, Complaints and Accredited Business Listings).
I'm not sure how productive that conversation would be.

·
Got mutt?
13,764 Posts
I just reported it to the AKC using the general "not sure" option in their contact list. Hopefully, they will be able to look into it. It's bad enough with all the BYB and greeders out there, breeding willy nilly, but using papers from a different dog is even worse. :(

Reactions: LindaH and SpecialK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what happens when you flag an ebay ad as fraud? i flagged it too and don't see any indication of it being tagged.

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I don't know. It might be like Craigslist, in that it needs X amount of users to flag it?

ETA: also, perhaps Altobello might want to know? Granted, these papers changed hands in the first place somehow.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Wow. Somehow I'm still surprised at the scams people create. Nice work letting the AKC and Altobello know. Has anyone gotten any info on them about what dogs they are using to sell these papers? Just in case the ad is deleted before anyone there sees it.

·
Got mutt?
13,764 Posts
Wow. Somehow I'm still surprised at the scams people create. Nice work letting the AKC and Altobello know. Has anyone gotten any info on them about what dogs they are using to sell these papers? Just in case the ad is deleted before anyone there sees it.
I've also printed out a hard copy to mail in. It has the person's phone number and an ad ID number on it, so they should be able to track them down.

I know millers used to sell blue slips (probably still do), but I've never seen an actual ad for papers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know millers used to sell blue slips (probably still do), but I've never seen an actual ad for papers.[/QUOTE]

what is a blue slip?

·
Got mutt?
13,764 Posts
A "blue slip" is a registration application (they used to be pale blue, hence the term blue slip). It's all too easy to get extras. Say the litter had 4 males and 5 females. The breeder would send in a litter application, but instead of saying 4 M and 5 F pups, they would say 5 M and 6 F, and get two extra individual applications.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It would be very important for someone to get a copies of the papers - then report the incident to AKC with PROOF. Then they can investigate. Selling AKC papers is ILLEGAL and unethical to say the least.

Each litter is reg with the exact # of males and females in the litter so the fraud hod to begin there. I hope someone can play dumb and order the papers and then follow through on reporting this to the proper authorities.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Well their reply to me asking who the parents are was 'yes'. Real helpful.
Is it worth asking more, or will it make them suspicious?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not surprised at the response. i'd ask more. meanwhile the ad has disappeared. perhaps they made a sale or realized they'd been had.

also someone named Zoe pm'd me saying this is common practice in serbia. when i inquired as to why they had pm'd rather than stating that on the open forum, the reply was "Please, let's just let this go. All the best to you and your dogs."

the response feels a little uncomfortable to me.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
It's up to you, but "I'm interested, but I'm breeding an Altobello bitch so a pedigree that makes my dogs look inbred is no good to me, so I'd like to know the parents in the pedigree I'm buying" would honestly probably get you your answer pretty quickly. Unless they just like answering "yes" to everything.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Careful guys, might just be a phishing scam.

Reactions: Nynaeve and brw1982
1 - 20 of 26 Posts