Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Dobermans come in four colors and albinism is a mutation which masks color. I am assuming that there are black and rust albino dogs and red and rust albino dogs and blue and rust albno dogs and fawn and rust albino dogs. I have never met or heard of an albino Doberman with Color Dilution Alopecia, and I am wondering why not. Are they out there and I just have never crossed paths with one, or is there something regarding the albino gene which somehow prevents the development of CDA?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the dog is dilute and z-factor,why wouldn't it?

That's a better question.

I think z-factor dogs are just as bald as any other if they have CDA.I don't think how 'white' the dog appears to be ,would help it biologically to maintain a glorious coat..Albino Dobes don't get any blessings to begin with.It is a genetic defect.

Anyone with experience of albinos....how are their coats?

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
The albino's I have met all have extremely thick coats and shed a ton at least 3 of them. I'm trying to think of some of the others and don't recall if they have coats like Rogan, Degas and Penny. It is not a double coat but it is not a proper dobe coat either.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think z-factor dogs are just as bald as any other if they have CDA.
You're kinda missing the point of the question. I have never seen or heard of an albino Doberman with CDA, and I am wondering if there is a reason why not or if they occur and I just haven't run across one.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
If the dog is dilute and z-factor,why wouldn't it?

That's a better question.

I think z-factor dogs are just as bald as any other if they have CDA.I don't think how 'white' the dog appears to be ,would help it biologically to maintain a glorious coat..Albino Dobes don't get any blessings to begin with.It is a genetic defect.

Anyone with experience of albinos....how are their coats?
What he's asking is that since albinism affects all four colors, meaning a dog is genetically blue but the inability to make the "pigment" so it looks white, would that dog get CDA? CDA is widely assumed to be genetic, and carried on the dilute color genes. Soo... Would a "blue" albino go bald?

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
If I recall correctly from stuff I read when I was looking up CDA*, CDA is directly related to how the dilute-pigmented hairs and their hair folicles are more fragile because melatonin is irregularly deposited on them. Thus, it wouldn't necessarily apply to an albino since the albinism has prevented the melatonin deposits from being found on the hairs at all. It *would* apply to any Z-factored dilutes - albinism has no "cures" for CDA, to be sure, lol.

*All just internet research, so you may wish to take this with a grain of salt. Or perhaps several tablespoons. ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
You're kinda missing the point of the question. I have never seen or heard of an albino Doberman with CDA, and I am wondering if there is a reason why not or if they occur and I just haven't run across one.
I don't want to run across zed dogs to begin with.

NO...I don't think about them.

While I support those that clean up the mess ,that Dober Frankensteins make, breeding them,I must admit to you,that any serious consideration of their health,as it relates to Doberman breed specific health issues etc...concerns me for the future of this breed.I'm hardline that way,in regards.to zed-f.

You ARE asking a legitimate vet med question.For sure.Upon having time for my blood pressure to lower ,so that I don't stroke out ,when zed is discussed,I do get your point.

My vet has been doing Dobe rescue in Ontario for a few decades.He has been getting Dobes over the years, presenting as CDA,that are not dilute.Some are cross breeds.He hasn't met an albino and neither have I.

More rocket science for reputable breeders to figure out for us.Will it never end for them?;)

Cheers to you,mmctaq.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
I don't want to run across zed dogs to begin with.

NO...I don't think about them.

While I support those that clean up the mess ,that Dober Frankensteins make, breeding them,I must admit to you,that any serious consideration of their health,as it relates to Doberman breed specific health issues etc...concerns me for the future of this breed.I'm hardline that way,in regards.to zed-f.

You ARE asking a legitimate vet med question.For sure.Upon having time for my blood pressure to lower ,so that I don't stroke out ,when zed is discussed,I do get your point.

My vet has been doing Dobe rescue in Ontario for a few decades.He has been getting Dobes over the years, presenting as CDA,that are not dilute.Some are cross breeds.He hasn't met an albino and neither have I.

More rocket science for reputable breeders to figure out for us.Will it never end for them?;)

Cheers to you,mmctaq.
LOL How can a non DILUTE dog have colour DILUTION Alopecia??
They may very well have other forms of alopecia but it couldnt be CDA id they arent D lol.

And secondly, why shouldnt people consider the health of z-dogs? They are beloved companions as well..ask me how i know? Alot of the dogs that come into ontario dobe rescue are most likely going to be z-factored based on a couple of breeders who are contributing to the unwanted dobes. I find your comments hard to"understand" if you will...

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL How can a non DILUTE dog have colour DILUTION Alopecia??
They may very well have other forms of alopecia but it couldnt be CDA id they arent D lol.

And secondly, why shouldnt people consider the health of z-dogs? They are beloved companions as well..ask me how i know? Alot of the dogs that come into ontario dobe rescue are most likely going to be z-factored based on a couple of breeders who are contributing to the unwanted dobes. I find your comments hard to"understand" if you will...

I said 'presenting.,Not diagnosed as.

Health should be a concern for anyone's companion animal.Zeds are defo companions.

Sorry,if I offended you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One lives at my house right now.

He has kidney disease and is going blind.

Your right.I do deserve that.I do think about rescue Dobes.ALL of them.

My apoligies.

My dogs isn't albino.More bad from me.He is a rescue.

I was more concerned when posting my regards that I didn't realize you said albino.I just saw rescue.

My kudos to you.And best regards to your rescues.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Neither of my rescues are albinos either. Contemplated it a few years back, but went with a fawn CDA boy instead. Still have to use sunscreen on bright summer days at the beach cuz of his thinning hair, but no photosensitivity. It's why I chose NOT to adopt the albino. So big hugs to all of them out there from me. And bigger hugs to the folks willing to open their homes. It's hard enough to find a "good" home for a regular rescue. Finding a "perfect" home for an albino is darn near impossible. I believe the boy my rescue had lived out his short life in foster care. So hate the breeders, but love the dogs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A dog "presenting" with CDA would have to be D, no?
I don't know.I am not trained med personal.

Put a better way.....the dogs APPEAR as if they have CDA and they are not dilute.

No...it doesn't make sense,except that they are poorly bred 'Dobes' ,perhaps?I would be inclined to say that of it.

I personally,would not be able to explain it.based on any knowledge, I have of CDA.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Through rescue I have met/touched about 15 albinos. Like Dobejazz said, they don't have a Doberman coat. They have long, thick, coarse hair that isn't silky like a Dobe. I don't know why their coat is so different, any science people that can explain it? I find all the genetics stuff really interesting even if I don't understand it all lol.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Through rescue I have met/touched about 15 albinos. Like Dobejazz said, they don't have a Doberman coat. They have long, thick, coarse hair that isn't silky like a Dobe. I don't know why their coat is so different, any science people that can explain it? I find all the genetics stuff really interesting even if I don't understand it all lol.
Leliel's uber informative post may "shed" some light on this. Seems to me, from a completely uninformed POV, that if CDA is the result of Irregular melatonin secretion in dilutes, that MAYBE in a dog unable to produce any melatonin at all it could have the opposite effect? Rather than a follicular problem resulting in excess hair loss, it creates excess production?

But this is a complete guess. Seems logical that the two melatonin irregularities may be linked, though

1 - 20 of 23 Posts