Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be purchasing a digital holter monitor this week from Alba. I've decided to go with digital, but I'm not sure if I should buy new or refurbished.

With new, I have a choice between the DR-180 (7 ounces) or the DR-200 (3 ounces). Cost is the same of $1400.

With refurbished, I only have a choice for the larger digital, DR-180, but cost is $750.

Anybody know the average life span of a holter monitor? Has anyone purchased a refurbished one? If so, have you had any problems with it? Do any of you have either of the 2 models?

I've got 2 younger dogs that will use this monitor for their entire lives and I can only imagine I'll have Dobes for the remainder of mine, so I'm trying to make a wise decision. I suppose there's something nagging in the back of my mind that maybe a refurbished one will have a shorter life span or perhaps will be unreliable???

ETA-I am aware that there is no guarantee that any monitor will last an entire life span of a dog, but I just want to get as much use out of it as possible.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I'm probably not going to be much help, but I bought the refurbished analog Holter monitor almost 5 years ago and it is still going strong, no problems with it, etc. With that said, if I needed a new one, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the refurbished unit (digital).

Jan

Reactions: dobegal

·
joie de vivre
11,277 Posts
I have a refurbished digital monitor (DR180); bought it in April 2011. Works like new. At half the price of a new one, I feel like it was a really good deal.

Reactions: dobegal

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I have a refurb'd analog. Mine gets a lot of use as I holter every 6 months. Still going strong after several years.

When my analog machine dies, I will purchase a refurb'd digital.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
I'm probably not going to be much help, but I bought the refurbished analog Holter monitor almost 5 years ago and it is still going strong, no problems with it, etc.

Jan
I've been using my (refurbished) analog holter for about that long.

If and when I need to replace it, I'll go with a digital. But there's no way in the world I'd pay $1400 for a new one. It's going to be put on an ANIMAL. Now, you can watch them to the best of your ablility, but life happens. And I can assure you there'd be no living with me if one of my dogs broke a piece of equipment that cost $1400. I wouldn't be happy if they broke a $750 refurbished one, but that would only hurt about half as much.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I have an anolog monitor that is 4 years old and has been used a LOT! Still works great. A nice thing that Alba does is that when it finally kicks the bucket, I can send it back and get another refurbished one for like 150 or something like that.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I also bought the refurbished DR180 digital monitor. I just bought it recently and have only used it once but quite happy with it. So easy to upload the card to the secure site for a reading and we received the results via email in a couple of days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts