Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got the AKC Registration papers for her highness, Delmira Arya Khaleesi Dragon Queen (now there's a mouthful!).

It includes a 60 day trial membership in their pet insurance program.

I've never had pet insurance - does anyone else have experience with this?

Good deal or not??

And here's a picture of Hera visiting our house on Saturday. (All the way from Georgia!) She's lining up for treats with Dexter and Khaleesi! Hera is the beautiful little red princess in the middle, Dex is the big red guy on the left, and baby Khaleesi (5 months) is in the down position. There are "glow" eyes here from the flash off my cellphone, so they look a tad possessed. They sure had a fun playday!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have Trupanion for Koa - luckily I haven't had to use it yet (got it right AFTER I could have used it for a $300 bill), but I selected the option with 90% back so I never have to worry about cash being a deciding factor in his medical care. I think if I remember correctly there was a good thread a while back on insurance, about the same time I was signing him up. I'll try to find it and link here.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I think this is the one I remember - I didn't re-read it, but if nothing else it gives a lot of the names/options and then you can do some research to see which works best for you.

http://www.dobermantalk.com/doberman-health/34219-what-kind-insurance-do-you-have.html

That's what I did when I was researching - opened up a few pages and then saw what was different on each one. For example, some have "lifetime payout" limitations, and I wasn't a fan of that since something chronic/long term could eat through that quickly. Some also offer "add-ons" like hip displasia coverage, but each company seems to handle them differently/require sign up by a certain age. And then, of course, deductibles come into play as well.

·
We Serve the Doberman
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks KoaRad. I will do my reading. You sure made it easy for me!!

Merry Christmas!

·
_______
5,102 Posts

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
I had VPI for Drago and I got all the money I put in for premiums when I had to get reimbursements for his liver disease plus a discount on expenses after that. I certainly think they are a deal for major medical concerns as I knew that Drago would have one given the health of his pedigree. I did not get the general wellness for vaccinations though as you had to spend a certain amount in order to get coverage. This part of the insurance was not a deal actually just a reimbursement for what you paid in vaccinations on top of the $100 or so for the additional premium for wellness coverage.

Tracy and Mariah.

Reactions: Q734

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
I prefer not to use pet insurance. I really think that if you can afford to set aside funds for potential issues you will save money in the long run. (After all, the insurance company expects to take in more money from you than they expect to spend on you or else they wouldn't sell you a policy! ;))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts