Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question...I'm in the process of registering my puppy, doing the online procedure. My brother insists that what the breeder has done is not appropriate (i.e. filling in a portion of the puppy's name) on the AKC registration papers. He insists that it's the OWNER'S right to name the dog, and that the breeder had no business filling in that portion of the registration papers. Since I've not registered any animal up to this point, I'm not certain what to do. Am I bound by the names that the breeder has chosen to fill in on these papers, or am I free to name my puppy whatever name I choose?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Just a quick question...I'm in the process of registering my puppy, doing the online procedure. My brother insists that what the breeder has done is not appropriate (i.e. filling in a portion of the puppy's name) on the AKC registration papers. He insists that it's the OWNER'S right to name the dog, and that the breeder had no business filling in that portion of the registration papers. Since I've not registered any animal up to this point, I'm not certain what to do. Am I bound by the names that the breeder has chosen to fill in on these papers, or am I free to name my puppy whatever name I choose?
For both of my dogs the breeders chose their names, I had no say, and registered them. Some breeders let the owners pick the name from a particular theme with the rule that their kennel name be a part of it (i.e. Rhapsody's ________________). It's really dependent on the breeder. That being said, the only dogs that I have known where the owner had COMPLETE freedom on the registered name were dogs that didn't come from a reputable breeder or dogs that were found/adopted.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
i would discuss this with the breeder. it should have been brought up when y ou signed the contract.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Yes it is appropriate. Breeders have kennel names that they want used in the registered name. They take pride in the dogs they have bred, and want the registered name to reflect that it is one of their dogs.

All of the puppies I've produced carry the Fitzmar name - I may give people a choice within my litter theme or not. What they call the puppy is totally up to them, but the registered name is a reflection of MY breeding program.

With my puppies, the registration papers are filled out at my house, and I send them to the AKC. No one ever walks away with the AKC registration papers.

·
The Dopie Dobie
1,281 Posts
I was allowed to pick out Kratos AKC registered name but i had to keep it within a theme " have boy in the name" you should def. call you breeder and discuss it. The kennel name is usually a standard just to show whose breeding that dog is out of etc.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Agreed that the breeder has the right to reflect their kennel name/breeding program in the registered name of the dog. What you actually call your dog (call name) may be something completely different of your choosing, but the registration will reflect the breeder's choice.

In my situation, I was given the theme and asked whether I had a preference or a suggestion that fit the established theme and we worked together to find a name we were both happy with.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
In my situation, I was given the theme and asked whether I had a preference or a suggestion that fit the established theme and we worked together to find a name we were both happy with.
Totally off topic but I love your dog's names, registered and call name.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Thank you. :) The theme was Italian cities/regions.. And in my OCD enthusiasm I ended up finding all sorts of suggestions that ended up being most of the names for the pups in the litter.... but I kept Florence for myself (even though it was for a boy) since it was without a doubt my favourite city to visit. :D

·
Got mutt?
13,820 Posts
The AKC now has more than one option available for registering puppies. The breeder can register the entire litter as a group, with the option of the new owner choosing the name of an individual puppy after ownership is transferred. Or, the breeder can individually register each puppy with their choice of name. Or, the litter can be registered, and the new puppy owner can pick the name when they send in the registration applicataion. Whatever option is chosen, the breeder still has the right to require the new owner to use their kennel name (especially if it a registered kennel name), and will frequently enter the kennel name on the puppy slip themselves.

If I was buying a puppy from a reputable, ethical breeder, I would be proud to have the breeder's kennel name as part of the dogs registered name.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
Breeders have the right to name their litters, but as has been said, some will allow prospective buyers to give input. It is possible to change the registered name once you've gotten a puppy, but if you've bought a well-bred pup from a respected breeder, you wouldn't want to, because that name would be meaningful. Over the years we've always been given the theme or letter of a litter, and worked with the breeders (whether GSP, GSD or Dobe) to choose registered names they were happy with.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
If a puppy buyer isn't proud enough of the breeder they chose to WANT to use their kennel name in the registered name for a puppy, then they shouldn't be buying a puppy from that breeder.

To the breeder, this is no different than an artist signing a painting. They deserve the credit for producing the dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts