Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing a ton of horror stories about dogs getting injured or even killed while flying, and I was just wondering what experiences you guys have had...?

Depending on this new job, I may have to travel a couple times a year while the pup is young, and I am able to take him with me... but I am nervous about flying with him.

Can any one share their experiences with me? Give me advice as to which airlines you have used, and how to do it in the safest way possible?

The flight I will be taking is from NY to FL and is about 2.5 hours

·
Sirai Dobermans
2,100 Posts
I haven't traveled with her yet, but Siri was shipped to me from Oregon to Houston in late March. She flew cargo via Delta Dash. There was a layover in SLC after she left OR but it was only about an hour delay. Then she boarded for Houston.

I couldn't be happier with the way it worked out. She seemed pretty unfazed by the whole ordeal.

Just assuming, but unless he's little bitty I would think you'll have to fly him cargo.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have traveled twice via air with my gal to attend the United Doberman National Events. I talked to a lot of people to get some good tips and everything went smooth. Some tips:
Non stop flight
Zip tie close your crate
Put a flight tag on the crate say Who, What, When and Where stuff on it.
Ask the flight attendants to verify dog is on the plane before take off
Try to watch your dog being put on the plane
Attach your dog food on the top of the crate in case you can't find the same food at the new destination.
Bring your basic dog necessities on your carryon bag just incase your luggage gets lost. At least you will have a leash to put on your dog when you get to your destination.
Have someone drop you and off and pick you up. I had no one and it is difficult dealing with parking, crate and luggage all by yourself.

·
Mo's Mom
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much, these tips are very helpful!

Is there any one airline that is more pet friendly?
And how much does it normally cost?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts