Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Australia :)

great site u have here

we have 1 dobe a 10 month old we recently rescued, he's a bit under weight at the moment and not eating, think he may be pining a little.

Anyway hope to get lots of goodies from the site

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Welcome from Florida. We have a 2 year red boy, Titus and a 13 week old black beauty, Jada. Hope you enjoy this site as much as we do.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hello mate!! hope you enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Welcome! I have an almost 9 month old boy named orson, he can be quite the picky eater. Are you feeding the same thing he was on before?? Orson doesn't deal well with change.........taste wise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acooper said:
Welcome! I have an almost 9 month old boy named orson, he can be quite the picky eater. Are you feeding the same thing he was on before?? Orson doesn't deal well with change.........taste wise.

no, we changed his food he was on pal pedigree when we got him but i changed it, also think he may have been feed a lot of table scraps

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Oh, that could do it, Orson was fed turkey by my guests at Christmas and he wouldn't eat his kibble the next day :( and that was just one day on scraps!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lexus said:
Hello and welcome! Kudos to you for taking in a rescue kid!
Was looking for a dobe puppy to buy and this guy came along so we got him.

i think he may have been abused by his previous owners :emo8: because the other nite he was barking and growling at something and i went out to tell him he was a good boy and i swear he nearly wet himself, he just froze. i was sooooo [email protected]@@@d of at the thought of him being belted. it took a good couple of minutes before he realised he wasnt going to be belted.

i have heard that once a dobe is hand shy or broken u can never get them back? anyone know anything about this??

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have read (not dobe specific) that once it happens it can be difficult at best..............but you know nothing is impossible and a lot of it could just be that he is not sure of you yet. Give him plenty of time to settle in and see you are a nice person, he is really young and has plenty of time to come around.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Welcome.
Try a little cooked hamb and sprinkle it on his food. That might make it more interesting for him. It doesn`t have to be alot.
I`m glad you took him in.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Hi and welcome to DT from me and my pack here in England,"Good on ya mate" for taking him in and showing him a proper home.(I think i am watching far too much neighbours !! :) )

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
caesers_humans said:
because the other nite he was barking and growling at something and i went out to tell him he was a good boy
Welcome to DT.
Do you keep him outside?

Some Dobes warm up more slowly than others, some rescue Dobes that have been abused get past it quickly; others don't get past it so quick and need more time to come around in a loving and caring forever home. All dogs are different it seems, there are some on this board with rescue Dobes.

As far as the food goes, are you free feeding him plain dry kibble?

You can add things like parmesan cheese, warm water at the bottom of the kibble, and high quality canned food mixed in well with the food to make it more appealing. You can also make these., try the fat and satin balls:
http://www.greytdogs.com/meat.html

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey!

Java loves it when I add a bit of canned salmon or egg (scrambled, over-easy or hard boiled) and plain yogurt mixed in with her kibble. (The oil in the salmon and the yolk of the egg will make his coat shine.)

Bottom line is that a hungry animal won't stay a picky feeder for long...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
caesers_humans said:
Was looking for a dobe puppy to buy and this guy came along so we got him.

i think he may have been abused by his previous owners :emo8: because the other nite he was barking and growling at something and i went out to tell him he was a good boy and i swear he nearly wet himself, he just froze. i was sooooo [email protected]@@@d of at the thought of him being belted. it took a good couple of minutes before he realised he wasnt going to be belted.

i have heard that once a dobe is hand shy or broken u can never get them back? anyone know anything about this??

He is young so he may be ok. My molly was beaten so badly they deformed one of her ears and fractured her skull as a pup. she is not the least bit hand shy. she does get upset with yelling. we had some agression issues, but they seemed to have passed. my vet felt it was a PTSD type thing.

good luck with the new boy.

cc

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Congrats on your new boy. Thanks for rescuing a needy doberman. All dogs deserve a good home.:cool2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts