Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Ahhh I am losing my mind.

958 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  monicaei 
#1 ·
Keila is 9 months and 2 weeks old. She has been a PERFECT pup. However, i feel like she is hitting her terrible 2's (if there is such a thing for dogs). Starting yesterday she has been running from window to window howling and barking at her own relfection as if a burguar was trying to break in. At first it was cute, not it is annoying. she is not listening to any of my commands. She has been chewing on stuffed animals that never interested her befor. and she knows better than to chew on stuffed animals. She has tons of her own chew toys to chew on. She has learned to climb our chain link fence. And she has started jumping up on people which she doesnt normally do. I really dont know wha is going on. She is normally so laid back and well behaved. Do puppys go through a terrible two stage? Help.

#3 ·
Sorry but this is a wrong assumption " she knows better than to chew on stuffed animals " Dogs do not think in the same terms as humans I can give you an example: If a dog knows not to chew on a stuffed toy,carpet,bedding pretty much anything they have chewed something up.Even some have to have surgery to have items removed some have had surgery twice. If they knew better they would not chew it up in the 1st place.Dogs have died from chewing stuff up if they knew better they would not do that. Your girl may be going into heat or may be turning into a teenager as you have thought Good Luck.Been though it with a boy they say girls are not quite so bad.

#4 · (Edited)
How much obedience training have you done? Its probably time for a refresher course... I also second the fact that girls coming into season (especially their first) are loony... I just went through Scarlets first heat and I noticed a huge personality change, mood swings, etc... But we are also in about week 7/10 of a refresher obedience course so I was better equipped to handle it. I almost felt like she was coming to the age where she was starting to "test" me... It will pass, I think you just need to get some advice how to better handle her when she acts like this. So my suggestion would be to find a good obedience course in your area :)... It is totally normal don't worry!

Edit: If she is running and zooming around the house, you need to stop that immediately anyway... Tell her enough, or leave it. And maybe put her in a down stay for a few mins till she relaxes. If it still progresses, put her in her crate for a few minutes to also chill her out. But I wouldn't tolerate zooming around the house like that, because if you do she will know that it is acceptable, and it will be harder to break the habit if you don't stop it now.

As for the fence, maybe it is time for a long tie out in the backyard to keep her confined. and if she is going into season I wouldn't recommend leaving her out there unattended, because if she can climb that fence, nothing is stopping a male dog from doing the same thing to get at a bitch in heat.

#5 ·
I have always found that a tired dobe puppy is a good dobe puppy. Its like a miracle cure for all sorts of problems. Walking her is mental and physical exercise. Plus, it's an opportunity to train and bond.

If she is coming into heat, that's a whole nother story. When she is in heat if you have a chain link fence she cannot be outside alone. A breeding can happen THROUGH the fence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.