Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a question for anyone who has a young male and a young female. My duke who now is 13 months old has decided that ripping into my 7month old female candy is his new favorite past time. He is not normally aggressive to any other dogs or animals. I have a female chi-pom and a male basset. Duke is not agressive toward them. Is this just a phase that he is going through. I am afraid he is going to really hurt her I now keep the seperated when I am not home. Duke is fixed! But candy is not. I have tried firm correction with him but you know they are just like kids turn your back and they think they can get away with it. thanks for all the help

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a heeler mix that was 2 months younger then trinity and thay use to do that. They never hurt each other. I always pulled them apart but when correction didn't work I turned to books. I watched them very closely and it turned out that they were just playing. One book I read I don't remember the name sorry said that some puppys play rougher then others. this might be what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It sounds like play to me. I am no expert though. Does Candy cry when Trinity plays this rough with her? If Candy does I would step in, but if she isn't then I would probably let them play for a while. Again I am no expert. Although even if it is just play after so long of playing 10 or 15 minutes WHILE being supervised I would still make them rest for a good while. Just so that way no one gets carried away in the play session.

Does that make any sense at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CAndy does cry or screams is more like it. when Duke goes after her, she tries to run but he will get her down and has put a few good scratches and bites on her.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Hmm that doesnt sound too good and if Candy is crying in pain then it is not just play. Sounds to me like someone is trying to prove who is dominant in your pak. You need to step in NOW and let both dogs know who is Alpha, do not let them rough play. You decide when to play who plays and most important when to stop playing. If you can not be there to supervise the dogs they should be kept seperated.

Sometimes there is no explanation why dogs cant get along, it sucks I know but it is just a way of life.

Good luck and I hope you can sort this out. I had a similar situation once and I had to find one dog a new family for the well being of everyone involved.

TD

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just a side note, I have to say I've learned so much from this board... I had always been taught/told that dogs will work the pack order out among themselves and we should allow them... This idea that I am the alpha cut and dry is pretty dern awesome and has helped considerably with the interaction between Chi and Petri! Thanks guys :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts