Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of posts regarding dogs and their weights, and I wanted to get some opinions on Austen's. I'm trying to keep him on the lower side since he's in agility; I just want to make sure it's not too low. Right now he's 20 months, 29" tall and 66.2 lbs.

Here's a picture of him:

(Let me know if you need other angles to see)

Thanks!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I don't have a specialized eye or anything but I think he looks great! I love the leaner look. I don't think he's too skinny since I can't discern any ribs or his spine.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
I think he looks good from that angle...

I keep Jones at about 65-70#'s but that is only because he can't put anymore weight on it seems, but will lose weight quick!!! He is 26.5"

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
He looks good to me!

Niz is 27.25" and he goes around 62-70 lbs, depending on the time of year (how active he is; we're a lot more active when it's not raining!).

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a specialized eye or anything but I think he looks great! I love the leaner look. I don't think he's too skinny since I can't discern any ribs or his spine.
I'm partial to the leaner look, too! I guess it's because I have a horse background (specifically Thoroughbreds) so I grew up around long, lanky animals. :)

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think he looks good from that angle...

I keep Jones at about 65-70#'s but that is only because he can't put anymore weight on it seems, but will lose weight quick!!! He is 26.5"
Yeah, Austen is the same way -- hard to put weight on, but super fast about taking it off! I wish my body was like that...haha

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He looks good to me!

Niz is 27.25" and he goes around 62-70 lbs, depending on the time of year (how active he is; we're a lot more active when it's not raining!).
The weather is so ridiculous here in "winter" that it's so hard to predict which days will work for training and which wont...I mean, you can read the forecast, but it's crap predictions most of the time around here. One days it's 85 and sunny, the next it's 35 with thunderstorms and tornado warnings, and then, for the kicker, it likes to mix it up in between. So, Austen tends to lose some weight this time of year since we're not as active either. He mostly keeps between the 66-68 range though.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
The weather is so ridiculous here in "winter" that it's so hard to predict which days will work for training and which wont...I mean, you can read the forecast, but it's crap predictions most of the time around here. One days it's 85 and sunny, the next it's 35 with thunderstorms and tornado warnings, and then, for the kicker, it likes to mix it up in between. So, Austen tends to lose some weight this time of year since we're not as active either. He mostly keeps between the 66-68 range though.
I am the WORST at predicting weather. If I'm in rain boots or I have an umbrella, it's likely to just drizzle for 5 minutes. If I'm in rain boots and I have an umbrella? It's sunny as heck out.

The thing is, Niz is a 2 dimensional Dobe, so any dog with a wider chest, more chest; any chest at all, actually, will naturally weigh more. And he is extremely fine-boned. Niz is Doberman, superleggera.

·
excelsior
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I am the WORST at predicting weather. If I'm in rain boots or I have an umbrella, it's likely to just drizzle for 5 minutes. If I'm in rain boots and I have an umbrella? It's sunny as heck out.

The thing is, Niz is a 2 dimensional Dobe, so any dog with a wider chest, more chest; any chest at all, actually, will naturally weigh more. And he is extremely fine-boned. Niz is Doberman, superleggera.

Hahahaha....superleggera, love it! Austen is the exact same way.

Case in point:

Sup?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I think Austen's weight looks good. He's a handsome red boy!

Lucy is between 24 - 24 1/2 (really need to measure her again with a wicket!) and currently 60lb. I like her weight between 58-60 max. But from reading everyone's posts I am now thinking she is a bit high for agility. Once she finishes showing in breed ring, and we are working more intensly at agility, I think I need to cut her back a bit to maybe 56-58.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Lucy is between 24 - 24 1/2 (really need to measure her again with a wicket!) and currently 60lb. I like her weight between 58-60 max. But from reading everyone's posts I am now thinking she is a bit high for agility. Once she finishes showing in breed ring, and we are working more intensly at agility, I think I need to cut her back a bit to maybe 56-58.
I showed Flirt at 75 and do agility at 72. Anything under 72 and she looks way way way too skinny. Unfortunately she's 27.25" tall :)

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
Should I put some weight on Austen then? He's 29" tall.
I think it really depends ont he individual dog--I always consult one of our two vets or our agility trainer. All three are very blunt if a dog is even a smidge chubby.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Should I put some weight on Austen then? He's 29" tall.
You got to remember he is only 20 months old he probably still has some filling out to do.

I think he looks good like he is :)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I think he looks good. He looks nice and slender to me. I agree with Jonesy's he more than likely has some filling out left. Of course I have chubby butt Kyrah over here. She is hard to keep the weight off of. I must finally be being paid back. None of my dogs ever had a weight issue and I have always struggled to gain weight.

Kyrah is about 27 1/2" tall and around 70lb - 75lbs. We have a hard time weighing her. Our scale always says error!!!ugh and I cant pick her up. So have to beg hubby and after 2 tries or so he says enough.

We used to do agility. For now we have stopped except for playing around at home.

Here is one of her last pics.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts