Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an AKC trial at the F'burg Field House this weekend. If some of the new dobe owners in the area want to see what the sport is all about, I suggest coming Sunday instead of Sat.

The Field House is letting a children's group use part of the building Saturday. WTF were they thinking? Parking is going to be a challenge as well. I'm wishing I hadn't entered but of course it's too late now. I've lost too many entry fees this year.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
The Field House is letting a children's group use part of the building Saturday. WTF were they thinking? Parking is going to be a challenge as well. I'm wishing I hadn't entered but of course it's too late now. I've lost too many entry fees this year.
If you ever get to Salisbury, Maryland for a trial at the Crown be forewarned.

Inside a short distance to both rings there is an arcade type kid magnet. Flashing lights, buzzers, bells, whistles.....to name a few are happening the same time you're running. Experienced dogs don't seem to notice but a few novice dogs do.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! I don't usually go that far north. Va is such a large state. I try to keep the travel within the 3hr range.

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Man I'd love to make it to this. Kind of short notice but I may try to make it out. Doesn't seem like there's anything like this out where I live (agility, showing etc). Either way best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
Hey Cathy. I live 10 minutes away. Are other dogs (not entered) allowed in? I know it starts early AM

My mom plays volleyball there and Juno would go all the time as a puppy. She went a few times as a big pup but not in a while.

What time will you be trialing? If I can I'll try to make it!!

PS if you're coming a day early you and akturbo are welcome to my home.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All premium lists state no unentered dogs allowed but people still do it. Some show committees are stricter than others. Since this is my first time at this site, I don't know how they do things.

Novice jumpers is AM and Std is last so , sadly, I will be there all day. I may try to work some if they need me. I'll probably leave early Sunday since we don't really need Std legs and I'll be anxious to get home.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Just a heads up for anyone bringing their dog to any agility trial....

Everyone I've been to has banned the use of flexi-leads unless they are locked at 6'.
No choke, pinch or e-collars allowed on dogs that are on site.
As stated by Cathy43, unentered dogs are sometimes not allowed but people do bring them. If unentered dogs are allowed there is an age cut off. Usually nothing under 6 months. It varies with the host club. Again, I still see very young puppies (under 6 months) walking around. It is a good way to socialize a puppy.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts

Everyone I've been to has banned the use of flexi-leads unless they are locked at 6'.
As stated by Cathy43, unentered dogs are sometimes not allowed but people do bring them. If unentered dogs are allowed there is an age cut off. Usually nothing under 6 months. It varies with the host club. Again, I still see very young puppies (under 6 months) walking around. It is a good way to socialize a puppy.
No prongs? Crap. Well looks like Juno gets a no pull harness.

She's intact 11mo - but I don't know if people will notice. I'll bring her but if she can't stay I'll just look for you Cathy - so I can say hi. Seriously its so close to my house. The field house is pretty small. Lots of hallway type things between fields.depending on how busy it will be it may be super packed.

Hope to see ya there.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts

That seems odd to me about flexis, or choke collars, especially outdoor venues? I know AKC regs specify no pinch or e-collars on any show grounds, and no flexis in buildings.
The 6 month cut off is a blanket AKC rule anyway as far as age is concerned.

So no extra training devices, even when just casually walking your dog, but people with their loose Border Collies flinging frisbees right at your dog while she's going potty is okay? That is my biggest pet peeve about agility trials- the unspoken rule that loose dogs running blindly after frisbees are totally okay.

** P.S. Cathy, good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
The AKC never allows prong collars at their trials. Only flat buckle or rolled leather collars without tags for the dogs that are running but I know I've even had to remove Fiona's prong collar before being allowed to enter the show facility at AKC trials I've been to and she's never been entered to compete yet. (35 days and counting to our first trial!)

I always have her double-collared anyway so she's wearing a leather slip, too, and I drop the prong in my bag on our way in. I've even had someone stop me and ask if Fiona was an entered dog while just on the grounds outside talking to people. When I said no, they told me they were glad because they didn't want to have to warn me about her prong collar...

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I'm not referring to a prong, but a chain choke training collar. I also leave prong (pinch) collar in car when we get to an AKC venue. Never thought I'd have to beg my dog to potty on a 6' lead though- Cheers would not be very happy.

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
I'm not referring to a prong, but a chain choke training collar. I also leave prong (pinch) collar in car when we get to an AKC venue. Never thought I'd have to beg my dog to potty on a 6' lead though- Cheers would not be very happy.
Oh! I didn't know you couldn't use chain choke collars either. Is that a new rule? I saw dogs in them at the last few trials I've been to.

What about leather and nylon slips? I'm going to have to do some more reading through the AKC agility handbook.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Again, this is at the trials I have been to....

No loose dogs in the building or out. I've seen it enforced also. The owners who feel the rules don't apply to them need to get their a$$es reamed.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Oh! I didn't know you couldn't use chain choke collars either. Is that a new rule? I saw dogs in them at the last few trials I've been to.

What about leather and nylon slips? I'm going to have to do some more reading through the AKC agility handbook.
Leather and nylon slips are ok. But they posted at Dream Park that chain chokers are a no no even walking around. I thought the AKC regs. had them as ok just can't run the dog in them. So I guess the host club can have it whatever way they want.

·
joie de vivre
11,271 Posts
As stated in the AKC Regulations for Agility Trials, last updated September 1, 2011...

Section 9. Collars
At the handler’s option, dogs may run a course with or without a collar. The only collars allowed when running are flat buckle or rolled leather collars, but there shall be no attachments hanging or otherwise allowed on the collar. This shall not preclude painted or stitched designs or information on the collar. Dog’s names and /or identifying information may appear on the collar. No title, awards, or advertising may appear on the collar. Dogs may be brought to the start line on slip leads, choke chains, body harnesses, or other collars that are permitted on the trial grounds. Pinch/prong and electrical collars (dummy or not), head halters and special training collars are not allowed anywhere on the trial grounds. When an agility trial is held on the same show grounds as other AKC venues (such as obedience and conformation), collar regulations of the other venues if more restrictive than agility shall take precedence.

Source: Regulations for Agility Rules

So according to the AKC Rules & Regulations choke chains are allowed on the grounds and on dogs entered.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
As stated in the AKC Regulations for Agility Trials, last updated September 1, 2011...

Section 9. Collars
At the handler’s option, dogs may run a course with or without a collar. The only collars allowed when running are flat buckle or rolled leather collars, but there shall be no attachments hanging or otherwise allowed on the collar. This shall not preclude painted or stitched designs or information on the collar. Dog’s names and /or identifying information may appear on the collar. No title, awards, or advertising may appear on the collar. Dogs may be brought to the start line on slip leads, choke chains, body harnesses, or other collars that are permitted on the trial grounds. Pinch/prong and electrical collars (dummy or not), head halters and special training collars are not allowed anywhere on the trial grounds. When an agility trial is held on the same show grounds as other AKC venues (such as obedience and conformation), collar regulations of the other venues if more restrictive than agility shall take precedence.

Source: Regulations for Agility Rules

So according to the AKC Rules & Regulations choke chains are allowed on the grounds and on dogs entered.
That's what made me do a little double take when I read the host club's letter that was hung on the fencing right next to the running order sheets. I was standing with another woman who was a bit perplexed also. No one says anything about the nylon or leather slips when the dogs are being walked around the site but if they see your dog with a chain choker or a prong they tell you about it.

It would be nice if there was some standardized list of dos and don'ts re collars that the AKC and the host club can agree on.

Forgot to include e-collars. Big no no.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts