Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for an apartment for my daughter and I keep seeing, "Dogs Welcome", then it says, except for aggressive breeds, Dobermans, Pitbulls, Rots.

I would love for the landlords to come to my house and see my aggressive Doberman......Someone rings the doorbell and all 5 of the little ones (2 are 3 pounders), run to the door barking and raising Haties. My sweet girl Zeena, looks up from the couch, never moving as if to say "Well they are all over there barking, I guess I won't bother getting up". And she doesn't.........Shes so timid, as soon as my arm heals she will be going to AKC classes to bring her out of her shell some. But I couldn't love this sweet baby horse more even if she never barks at the doorbell ! :)

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I think finding an apartment that is dobe friendly is going to be an uphill battle. Many have a policy of no breeds that are on the Top 10 Aggression list.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sometimes, one can find opportunity to help someone re-evaluate an opinion... sometimes not. Frequently, the issue only seems to be the landlord, but in actuality is an insurance company. And, just as an aside, timidity is sometimes indicative of a higher bite risk than barkiness.

What the heck are "AKC classes"???

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I think finding an apartment that is dobe friendly is going to be an uphill battle. Many have a policy of no breeds that are on the Top 10 Aggression list.
I got the impression that the apartment is for a child and the Doberman is the property of a parent. I think this was more commentary than problem, but I could be wrong.

·
Mom of the Herd
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, the apartments for my adult daughter, but I know when my husband and I finally get tired of the MONEY PIT (been here 25 yrs) and are to old to take care of all the yard work, (which isn't going to be to long from now) we are going to have a hell of a time finding somewhere.....Oh the AKC classes, are those obedient classes that were recommended for her...... If my dogs don't go, I don't go......... Was just sorta venting ...

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I've been renting with Dobes for 9 years. Very, very few apartment complexes will accept them. It's just reality. Whether it's problems with insurance, or the apartments don't want the liability, or people don't want the "aggressive" breeds living there, it all adds up to Dobe owners having a hard time renting. They don't deserve that rep, but for Dobes, pitties, Rotts, and huskies, we get the short end of the stick.

I've had more luck renting basement apartments in a house or a townhouse with a housemate than apartments. I'd suggest that you get references in hand from vets and trainers about your dog, and explore non-apartment rentals, for anyone renting with a Dobe.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I would talk to them. I moved into an apartment that said no aggressive breeds but luckily when I told them I was getting a Doberman they agreed to let me. I would have them meet her and see that she is a loving dog. It never hurts to try but there are apartments out there that will let you have dobermans you just have to look. good Luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is one thing that I'm dreading doing is finding a doberman friendly apartment. As of right now, I live in a house with a roommate and he's unbearable so I'm looking at moving as well. The main reason I chose to live here was because I could have my dogs. You could also get a reference from a previous landlord about the dog's temperament. It might help out a little.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agreeing with the others, it can be very hard to find a place to rent from having a dobe. However, as someone else said, try to persuade them otherwise. Most of the time it won't work because the policy is set by their insurance company but on the rare occasion, you will find it to just be the landlords ingorance. In that case, explain to them the classes that you have been to and have them meet your big baby.

For example, The place I am renting now didn't even have a pet policy but I was able to convince them that my dog is not aggressive by showing them the classes he has went to and by having his CGC and that he won't tear the place up. They even asked me what the basic terms of the pet policy shoudl include. I admit, this probably won't happen very often but if you don't ask or question the landlords policy, you will never know.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Some apartment complexes, condos, and HOAs will actually do a pet interview. If you can provide documentation that your dog passed the CGC test, temperament test, or working aptitude evaluation, many places will make an exception. Good luck.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Howdy,

Satisfied Doberman owner here. If you are looking for a good watch/guard dog, consider the versatile Airedale Terrier. I've not seen any rules our regs about Airedales not being allowed anywhere. Good luck!

PS: Airedales make great pets; read up on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts