Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for reading, my 2 yr old female abby has been a good dog since we got her. She was left abandoned in a farm and we got her at 3 weeks, the owners left with her mother and left abby behind, recently she has been very protective of her space, she was sleeping on the couch and my daughter nudged her to move over, abby bit her toe and shoed aggression with my wife when she went to see what was going on, we were shocked to say the least. She has a very loving home and is exercised daily, i dont understand and dont want a pet that is a threat to anyone, nevermind my daughter. She has gone through basic training. Ive owned 2 dobbies prior with no issue. Perfect dogs, any advice would be greatly appreciated as the alternative is not good.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd say the the dog should no longer be allowed on the couch. I'm not really a dominance/alpha thought-process believer but it seems to me that Abby thinks that she is entitled to the spot on the couch and that's why she showed aggression. Especially if this is the only occurring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. She has not been allowed on the couch since then. I have no problem assuming the alpha role and my dog knows that. Im just shocked with the bite, ive never had a dog do that. Its left a level of uneasiniess with her,

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'd also have your daughter spend some time training her and caring for her. I am sole caretaker of my dog so he completely respects me. My boyfriend, who I live with, doesn't do much with him so he doesn't always listen to my boyfriend. Lately I've started having my boyfriend do some short training sessions daily and Dreizehn responds to my boyfriend much better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its my wife who spends the most time with her, walks her, feeds her, special treats etc. i spend the leat amount of time with abby, my wife also has had past experience with dobbies,

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
..., she was sleeping on the couch... She has a very loving home and is exercised daily, .... She has gone through basic training. .
Just a few thoughts - yes, have her sleep on her own cushion on the floor but several people have mentioned their Dobes getting a bit testy/nasty when woken up. There is a reason there is the saying "Let sleeping dogs lie." So just have her lie somewhere other than where you want to sit.

When you say she has gone thru basic training, it sounds like that is in the past tense. You need to reinforce all that training every day, as in OB exercises in addition to just exercising.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,301 Posts
I second the part about being awakened suddenly--I think sometimes a dog startled out of sleep can react in a surprising way.

I also wonder, when I hear of a case of a dog suddenly showing aggression, if the dog has some hidden aches or pains somewhere that your daughter accidently triggered. Other medical problems, like thyroid issues, can cause personality changes.

Training is always useful, but it is possible this may not be just a training issue and could warrant a vet visit. Just to be sure.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
It could just be your Dobe was startled. I never wake a dog up with touch anymore. I always call his or her name and give them space, just in case they get startled or are in pain. After Logan was diagnosed with osteo, I got into that habit because he would be sore some mornings before he had his pain meds.

I second Patchesmom's NILIF recommendation too, along with having your daughter work with her in obedience and considering canceling sofa privileges unless someone invites her up first. And have your daughter call your dog's name to wake her up before ordering her off the couch if she wants to sit on it and the Dobe is in the way. It wouldn't hurt to have a vet look at her either, Dobes are so good at hiding pain.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I have 4 dogs, 2 Terriers a Boxer and a Dobe. I once startled one of my terriers when he was fast asleep and he turned and snapped at me and had I not been able to pull back my hand he would have taken a chunk out of it. Because of this I always call to my dogs to get their attention, to wake them from their deep slumbers. It doesnt hurt I have found to take care.
Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys and thanks. will look up nilif for sure. its beyond the couch, even with a certain treat she will be come possesive. this one is a little higher strung and much more protective than my other 2 dobies ive had. she has been a challenge in some areas which we overcame and overall a good dog. i just dont want a situation with a niece or nephew visiting and grabbing a toy by accident. we do crate her with company, which she hates. cries and wimpers as she is very sociable and likes people. ive never hit or anythng to establish control of abby.

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
I, too, recommend a vet screening as a first step. I'd ask for a full thyroid panel (not just a free T4 screening). Provided she does not have any medical issues, I would seek out a trainer who uses positive methods and get an in-home consult.

Reactions: GingerGunlock
1 - 12 of 12 Posts