Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judah my 6 month old dobie was spayed 2 weeks ago and I have noticed a personality change from almost the moment I brought her home. I thought at first that she was simply not feeling well but now I am becoming concerned. She appears irritated with Frank, my 5 year old **** zu. Frank weighs about 15 lbs. while Judah is a good 55 lbs. He is quite passive, and they have always gotten along until now. She has attempted to put his whole head in her mouth and is pulling at his neck and wants to keep him from drinking water or eating or doing anything. Before the surgery she was a happy go lucky puppy and now she seems stressed and unhappy.
She had some issues post operatively and therefore has not been able to get any real exercise until her incision is completely healed. That should be any day. Has anyone else had any issues after altering their dogs.
She was in the middle of obedience training when she had her surgery and was doing wonderful. No real issues until now.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I doubt it has to do with the spaying. Could be do to pain from spaying, meds, anesthesia, but not the actual removal of girl parts. It could also be her normal temperament coming into play as she matures.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vet said yesterday, he thought it was due to her being confined without any exercise for almost 3 weeks until her incision healed completely. She was able to get out in the yard yesterday and play and also today and seems much happier. No problems with Frank at all. So we will see. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
The vet said yesterday, he thought it was due to her being confined without any exercise for almost 3 weeks until her incision healed completely. She was able to get out in the yard yesterday and play and also today and seems much happier. No problems with Frank at all. So we will see. Thank you.
Yeah, full crate rest on an otherwise very active dog can make them a little loco. What happened with the spay that she required that much confinement, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Ouch. Poor girl. I wouldn't consider this a "real" behavior/temperament change until she is back in good health. Dogs in pain, or compromised physically even if it's not painful, instinctually feel the need to protect themselves. Even if Frank doesn't seem threatening to you, doesn't mean she sees things the same way. I would wait till she's back to 100% before I worried there was a problem. I would keep him away from her to keep both of their stress levels down.

Good luck to your girl, and I hope she gets better quick! Thanks for being such a good dober parent.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much for the good advice and kind words. She is my girl and I am so happy she is feeling better. I am also thankful to Michelle McGaha of
A'Carrig Dobermans for helping us find the right vet for her surgery. It was very nice of her to help us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts