Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brand new one year old dobe was a bit aggressive toward my five 1/2 month bullmastiff while showing dominance(mounting/humping) . any input would be very helpful as i know many members here own two or more males. my mastiff loves to play with him and i fear my dobe might hurt him(he could literally kill him easily)

(both are intact)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I do not have two males that live in same house but they are family and live together for days. If I could I would have a sex change and make one female but because thts not option they are never ever ever left alone always with me literally standing over then to monitor their play. Honeysly of your having problems at such young age then finding another home for your newest male would be best. Otherwise get them both fixed. This will not cure your problem at all bit may help little. Make sure you have crate and muzzle for them because very likely they will have to be rotated an not able to be near eachother. Never leave them alone together. My two males are both fixed and only 9 months old. My males get along but they are watched very close all the time and are never allowed to play rough. I am thankful only have one full time I can't imagine having two all of the time. Good luck with them . There are tons of threads on same sex problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm actually kind of surprised that you were able to rescue a male dobe with another male in the house. I guess it depends on where you got the dobe, but I'd have thought at least rescue agencies would know this is a major no-no.

I do wonder though, how a male dobe would be with a small, neutered male dog, if they react the same way they do to larger males.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. he will be rehomed to my cousin(a great home).

but still, there are people on here with two males together with no problems,right? id love to here from at least one of ya

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm sure there's the oddball one or two homes that haven't had a problem, but definitely more frequent and common is male on male aggression, especially when both dogs are intact. It would be a rare occurrence for male on male aggression NOT to happen with dobes.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
there are breeders and some very experienced dobe people that can manage a multiple male household. Even they will tell you, the dog's environment is extremely managed, 24/7.

but still, there are people on here with two males together with no problems,right? id love to here from at least one of ya

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
When my Doberman was 5 years old, we got a male Irish Setter puppy. By that time, Otto was already mature and we knew he was good with other male dogs. We never had issues with male-male aggression, but Otto was an exception, not the rule.

Bullmastiffs are prone to same sex aggression as well so you've kind of set your self up for failure. Plus, neither of your dogs are fully mature yet, so any problems you are seeing now are only bound to get worse as they both reach sexual maturity.

Most people that have had success with two males have dogs with a considerable age difference, or one was already mature before bringing the other male into the home.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
It really depends on the individual dog if it's going to be a problem and it may be fine for quite some time and then all of the sudden it's a fight to the death. My male is fine with my male chihuahua and also toy breed male fosters I have had, He is also fine at events and such in the company of other males.

2 males close in age and both breeds with known dog aggression is really just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I do wonder though, how a male dobe would be with a small, neutered male dog, if they react the same way they do to larger males.
I can only speak for my situation but I have a male neutered male about 12lbs and have brought male Doberman into house last year when Doberman was 3months and they are great. Phoenix is now 75lbs.and will lay in ground to play with smaller male. Phoenix recently got fixed but he has always been good with little ones. I must say they are never alone because they are dogs and things could happen.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
2 males can be managed in the same house, but it really isn't the way MOST of us want to live. You have to train your dogs to a high level of obedience, never allow them to free run/play outside because someone always ends up pissed and that's how fights can start, use crates, gates, muzzles, keep in separate rooms, and just constantly monitor the situation 24/7. And if they decide one day that they dislike each other....you will no longer be able to stop them from trying to kill each other. I had two males together for 14 months with no problems, my younger boy is very laid back, and he wasn't mature yet when my older boy Petey died from DCM. I was very careful though the entire time they lived together. Now I am fostering a female, and can tell you after only 2 weeks....I wouldn't have another male live here with my Monty, he gets mad at her, but she is the boss already. I have a feeling he would no longer give into another male now that he is close to 2. He still plays with other males all the time, but living together is another story. Most male Dobes want to be the king of their castle, Monty will remain the King of his....even if a Queen dobe really is the boss!

As for neutering....it makes NO DIFFERENCE when you are talking about same sex aggressive dogs.

·
Banned
7,471 Posts

My male intact Doberman has lived with many male foster dogs and currently lives with a male border collie. Just because it looks simple in photos, don't be fooled. I'm always on constant alert watching body language and posture. You cannot let your guard down for a minute and you need to be very dog-savvy and a quick thinker/acter. It's not all kittens and rainbows.

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
When my Doberman was 5 years old, we got a male Irish Setter puppy. By that time, Otto was already mature and we knew he was good with other male dogs. We never had issues with male-male aggression, but Otto was an exception, not the rule.

Bullmastiffs are prone to same sex aggression as well so you've kind of set your self up for failure. Plus, neither of your dogs are fully mature yet, so any problems you are seeing now are only bound to get worse as they both reach sexual maturity.

Most people that have had success with two males have dogs that with a considerable age difference, or one was already mature before bringing the other male in to the home.
I do keep multiple males. Mostly Dobermans and have for years. However I have a lot of experience and very good dog handling skills.

I NEVER EVER recommend anyone try to do what I do successfully.

I would NEVER have attempted to add a year old intact Doberman to a household which already had a 5-1/2 month Bull Mastiff puppy in residence.

Two breeds with a likelyhood of same sex agression. Bad choice.

Ages much too similar and too young to tell if there was any hope of the two adjusting to each other. When I add a dog it's always a puppy under 6 months and the next older dog is going to be at least 2 years older or more.

Often I've kept a puppy that I was raising for a breeder who was waiting to see which of two pups from a litter were likely to turn out as the more likely show prospect. By the time they hit six months I had a very good idea if they were going to slip into a spot in the roster with ease or if they were going to hassel (and eventually fight with) the other dogs.

There have been puppies I raised that I'd have kept in a heartbeat but who didn't meet the requirement of compatability.

If I kept a dog who I thought could get along with other male Dobes and with age and maturity he decided to take on one of the other Dobes they no longer could play together without muzzles and even then with muzzles play time was short.

I NEVER leave any dogs loose together in the house when I'm not there. They are confined to separate areas or go to work with me.

I also know that some breeds will get along with anyone--neutered or not, bitch or dog--my Australian Shepherd was like that. He raised a good many Dobe puppies for me in his 13 years with me.

But the best plan is to not even try to keep two male Dobermans or a combo like Dobe and Bull Mastiff--a dog and a bitch generally will get along famously and the bitch will probably run the house.

And for all the people, even on these forums, who claim that their two Dobermans get along just fine it usually turns out that they are both puppies and what happens is that they grow to be mature adult dogs and neutered or not the guy who just couldn't believe it was ever going to be a problem finds that he's now living in a war zone and the house must be divided between the two dogs and everyone is obliged to be very aware of where each do is so they do not accidently encounter each other.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like the situation can only get worse from here on out. Take the suggestions of those here for the safety and well being of both dogs. :(

I have an 11 month old dobie and 3 yr old lab mix (both fixed) that are both males. The lab mix is extremely laid back and not dominant at all. They both get a long great but I still never let my guard down nor let play time get too rowdy.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Dobebug, ZeldaRules, Lovbirds sumed it up. We would not get 2 males again. We have learned alot on this site. They are supervised 24/7 when not crated. Not left alone. Always on our toes. We have learned to read their body language very well. They do get very vocal in play. And we don't let play get rough. Lots of exercise and NILIF, and obedience training every day. We also still attend obedience classes every week. Also we just started a Rally Class.

·
Doberman Slave
2,677 Posts

I have2 males. And there are no problems because, THEY ARE NEVER TOGETHER!!! We don't use crates, but I do have 3 baby gates and doors that close. It's not fun or easy making sure they both get equal time within the family. Each can be with all 3 bitches at any time, but NEVER together.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Well that was quick! I believe I just told you what to expect last night or early this morning if both were males. Sorry to hear it has popped up so quickly, but very happy to hear you have a good home for him.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts