Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are minimal ages when breeding a dog, but are there maximum ages as well? I am looking at a puppy and the "dad" is is up there in age—8.5 years old. The "mom" is 6. Both are Champs and from excellent lines.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
fletcher99 said:
I know there are minimal ages when breeding a dog, but are there maximum ages as well? I am looking at a puppy and the "dad" is is up there in age—8.5 years old. The "mom" is 6. Both are Champs and from excellent lines.

Thank you!
I personaly like to see an older stud dog, and as long as the 6 year old bitch is healthy and not over bred, I think that is ok too.

·
Super Moderator
15,529 Posts
I think it would depend on the type of breeding, artificial or natural and of course the physical condition and breeding history of both dog and bitch.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
fletcher99 said:

Thank you!
Nothing wrong with using an 8.5 year old stud dog. I'd rather use an older one whenever possible.

The DPCA Code of Ethics says that members shouldn't breed bitches over the age of 8 without vet certification.

·
Premium Member
10,150 Posts
My oldest dog was sired by a dog who was nearly 11 and it might have been the last litter he sired. It was a natural breeding. Considering a lot of dogs are sterile by the time they are 8 it says something about the dog, his health and the line (other males from similar lines have been able to perform natural breedings and sire puppies at what are regarded as advanced ages.

It was a litter of eight my dog and two other finished their championships--they all have working titles as well and two are ROM dogs.

I'll take any age when they can produce like that. There is a point, as MurreyDobe says about bitches where the AKC says that breedings by older sires must be under a vets supervision (so that it can be proven that the dog is the one who sired the litter).

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobebug said:
the AKC says that breedings by older sires must be under a vets supervision (so that it can be proven that the dog is the one who sired the litter).
I believe that rule applies to stud dogs over the age of 12.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts